News Article: Friedman's 31 Thoughts: Habs Draft, Pacioretty, Jack Johnson & Mark Hunter

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
A former Hab who didn't have the decency to try to learn the lingo when he was here before. That's how it's going to be spinned. And if I remember correctly at first the press didn't have much to say about Cunnyworth's promotion yet the fanatics were protesting outside the Bell Center. That spooked Geoff "I'm-going-to-take-your-money-with-better-hotdogs-and-not-better-hockey"Molson.
If Gauthier had hired an anglo coach with some pedigree, a Babcock or a Hitchcock, there would have been no protests. But he hired Cunneyworth, who couldn't coach in either language. Now sure you could argue that if these "fans" who showed up with torches and pitchforks actually knew anything about how hockey works they would have known that it's difficult to find anyone decent to coach that late into a season because anyone who's good has a job until at least the end of the season so you have to hire an available assistant. And they would also know that the hiring was always intended to be interim only no matter how well the team performed under the new coach. If I ever thought for one second that Cunneyworth was going to be the coach beyond finishing out the string after Martin was fired I'd have bought a pitchfork too. But I always knew he was just keeping the seat warm for whoever they were going to hire in the off-season.

As for Hunter, he really wasn't a Hab long enough to pick up much French and his stature on the team was never very prominent. He was nowhere near as big a presence on the Habs as his brother was on the Nordiques. So I wouldn't put too much stock in his Habs "pedigree". He played more for the Blues than he did for the Habs. And as a front office guy he's never been in charge of a team so I don't know how or why people would think that he's going to be some kind of savior. Hunter has nothing more on his resume at the moment than Bergevin did when he was hired by the Habs. You can say that Hunter is highly regarded around the league but the same things were said about Bergevin 6 years ago too.

Reactions: 417

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
I'm not even sure 5-6M is realistic...seems like MacKenzie just threw that number out there when prompted this morning, and suddenly, it's turned into gospel of what the Habs will be offering him.

he did say give or take 1 million ..lol

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
I'm not even sure 5-6M is realistic...seems like MacKenzie just threw that number out there when prompted this morning, and suddenly, it's turned into gospel of what the Habs will be offering him.

Ya I don’t see it even being remotely possible

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
If Gauthier had hired an anglo coach with some pedigree, a Babcock or a Hitchcock, there would have been no protests. But he hired Cunneyworth, who couldn't coach in either language. Now sure you could argue that if these "fans" who showed up with torches and pitchforks actually knew anything about how hockey works they would have known that it's difficult to find anyone decent to coach that late into a season because anyone who's good has a job until at least the end of the season so you have to hire an available assistant. And they would also know that the hiring was always intended to be interim only no matter how well the team performed under the new coach. If I ever thought for one second that Cunneyworth was going to be the coach beyond finishing out the string after Martin was fired I'd have bought a pitchfork too. But I always knew he was just keeping the seat warm for whoever they were going to hire in the off-season.

As for Hunter, he really wasn't a Hab long enough to pick up much French and his stature on the team was never very prominent. He was nowhere near as big a presence on the Habs as his brother was on the Nordiques. So I wouldn't put too much stock in his Habs "pedigree". He played more for the Blues than he did for the Habs. And as a front office guy he's never been in charge of a team so I don't know how or why people would think that he's going to be some kind of savior. Hunter has nothing more on his resume at the moment than Bergevin did when he was hired by the Habs. You can say that Hunter is highly regarded around the league but the same things were said about Bergevin 6 years ago too.
Comes with the territory when you work in Toronto these days.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010

How on earth was Gauthier supposed to hire a guy like Babcock or Hitchcock as an interim Head Coach?

Reactions: Chris Cutter

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
This JJ talk is deeply disturbing. If true it shows that Bergevin has learned absolutely nothing from the last few years of piss poor talent evaluation.

He does not understand the current NHL. He never has.

Would you give JJ a 1-1.5 mil 1 year deal? I sure as hell would.

Would I give him 6? Hell no

It’s up to a GM to know his appropriate value though. Hopefully we get a good deal if he comes here.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
Would you give JJ a 1-1.5 mil 1 year deal? I sure as hell would.

Would I give him 6? Hell no

It’s up to a GM to know his appropriate value though. Hopefully we get a good deal if he comes here.

You SURE AS HELL would?

This guy sucks. He's a PTO candidate, not a guy we should be targeting at all. He's done, he doesn't fit into the NHL anymore.

Not to mention, if MB goes and signs this guy, regardless of contract, that's his move to address the defense this summer. He won't do anything else, I guarantee it. And we'll hear "oh just wait and see!" from the usual suspects just like we did for Hemsky and Streit.

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
If the plan is to tank then playing JJ on the top pairing with Weber means we can give Mete easier minutes which would be better for his development. Though I probably wouldn't give Johnson more then 2 years.

Think of it like this, if you wanted to ruin the development of Mete and Juulsen what would you do? I would throw them out there against the Crosby's, Ovechkin's, Stamkos's of the league so they get lit up and lose all confidence. If overpaying a guy like Johnson helps avoid that, then it's money well spent.
Testing your mettle against the league's best opponents is how you learn your craft. It's a challenge and playing against the best helps with your development. To use Bergevin's x-box analogy, nobody ever got better at a game by always playing it in beginner mode. The only way you destroy a kid's confidence is to not trust him and not allow him to play against better opponents or to put him in the press box or demote him to the farm while some veteran scrub dresses instead.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Pierre McGuire doesn't see any reason John T goes back to NYI.

Then confirmed sightings this weekend of John T and Weber at the Grand Prix Montreal....

Remember P.A Parenteau what he said over a month ago , he bet his father JT would come to Montrea as UFA...lol
Based on how "rumors" are legitimized on here...

I guess that means John Tavares is singing with the Montreal Canadiens

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
You SURE AS HELL would?

This guy sucks. He's a PTO candidate, not a guy we should be targeting at all. He's done, he doesn't fit into the NHL anymore.

Not to mention, if MB goes and signs this guy, regardless of contract, that's his move to address the defense this summer. He won't do anything else, I guarantee it. And we'll hear "oh just wait and see!" from the usual suspects just like we did for Hemsky and Streit.

A guy signed from PTO would make 1-1.5 given his resume though. So that’s not outrageous. We’re talking a contract that can be buried here and he’s still an NHL d-man...

The people who complain about JJ at 1 mil are the same who complain we didn’t retain DSP who needed special fitness regiments because he came out of shape.

At a certain point...

That being said ideally I’d love to give JJ a PTO instead of a contract. Play him with Weber and see what happens in training camp.

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
Around the league they said Nashville has Subban on the market. Ottawa has expressed an interest. Said, Subban is bigger than the team and this game isn't about 1 guy but 23 instead. He is not a cancer but wearing out his welcome in Nashville. Also, said if they move Subban they will take a good run at Tavares. Preds were disappointed in Turris in the plaoffs and that 6 and 36 contract could be a mistake. He looks more like a third line center than a second. Way they talked didn't sound a contract like a Karlsson is coming back. Unless, the Preds plan on flipping him to somebody else?

As Gomer Pyle would say: "Surprise, surprise, surprise!"

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
Based on how "rumors" are legitimized on here...

I guess that means John Tavares is singing with the Montreal Canadiens

I still don't see why he would. Why does everyone keep pushing this rumour?

St Louis can offer him the same contract, with more money take-home after taxes, and they have a significantly better team than we do, at every level.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Not to be a JJ apologist, I don’t want him unless it’s a really good deal, but it’s crazy to see his disproportionate zone starts. 65% dZS in 16-17 and 61% in 17-18.

I do remember him being an absolute monster for the BJs in the 2016-17 playoffs, averaging over 25 mins a game. I wonder why he fell out of favour so soon.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal

St Louis can offer him the same contract, with more money take-home after taxes, and they have a significantly better team than we do, at every level.

We got Price...when he’s on point anyway. They don’t. We’re ahead there.

Then there’s Canadian market factor, if he’s into that it’s a plus. He’s also closer to home.

Then familiarity with Weber, price, etc

Thing is...does it really make a huge difference? Doubtful. I’m sure it’s some mini pros that add up but Tavares is a fit anywhere. No idea where he’s heading. I’d guess SJS honestly.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

I'm being facetious...though I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility mind you.

I was just poking fun at how 'some' rumors are legitimized here...someone mentions Jack Johnson to Montreal, and its guaranteed to happen.

Someone mentions JT to Montreal, and it's brushed aside as impossible.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Not to be a JJ apologist, I don’t want him unless it’s a really good deal, but it’s crazy to see his disproportionate zone starts. 65% dZS in 16-17 and 61% in 17-18.

I do remember him being an absolute monster for the BJs in the 2016-17 playoffs, averaging over 25 mins a game. I wonder why he fell out of favour so soon.

21 pts in 23 playoff games.

Heard we should get playoff guys...here’s one.

I really think he’s better than his stats indicate. I think he’d do fine at right price but I don’t know what market will say.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
We got Price...when he’s on point anyway. They don’t. We’re ahead there.

Then there’s Canadian market factor, if he’s into that it’s a plus. He’s also closer to home.

Then familiarity with Weber, price, etc

Thing is...does it really make a huge difference? Doubtful. I’m sure it’s some mini pros that add up but Tavares is a fit anywhere. No idea where he’s heading. I’d guess SJS honestly.

He can play with Tarasenko, has familiarity with team Canada guys in Pietrangelo and Boumeester... They have some goaltending struggles but they usually are able to overcome them. They are a lot closer to a cup than we are, and more talent/depth throughout the lineup and in their prospect pool. Between Montreal and St Louis, I cannot see why he would pick us over them for the same contract.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
He can play with Tarasenko, has familiarity with team Canada guys in Pietrangelo and Boumeester... They have some goaltending struggles but they usually are able to overcome them. They are a lot closer to a cup than we are, and more talent/depth throughout the lineup and in their prospect pool. Between Montreal and St Louis, I cannot see why he would pick us over them for the same contract.

I agree with you. I just don’t know what’s important to him.

Stamkos has red carpet in Toronto and refused.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Pierre McGuire doesn't see any reason John T goes back to NYI.

Then confirmed sightings this weekend of John T and Weber at the Grand Prix Montreal....

Remember P.A Parenteau what he said over a month ago , he bet his father JT would come to Montrea as UFA...lol

When did he say this? I saw on twitter someone post a screenshot of a Reddit user saying he saw JT and Weber at the Grand Prix yesterday. And that user said he would try to get a pic of them, which he didn't provide afterwards.

So the reddit user isn't a reliable source. However, Pierre McGuire is a lot more legit and he'd surely do his due diligence to confirm if it's true before he says it.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
I'm being facetious...though I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility mind you.

I was just poking fun at how 'some' rumors are legitimized here...someone mentions Jack Johnson to Montreal, and its guaranteed to happen.

Someone mentions JT to Montreal, and it's brushed aside as impossible.

That's because JT is the best guy to hit UFA is a decade plus, while JJ is a declining defenseman who's NHL career is ending and who fits exactly the mold of shitty players that MB has consistently coveted for 6 years.

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
21 pts in 23 playoff games.

Heard we should get playoff guys...here’s one.

I really think he’s better than his stats indicate. I think he’d do fine at right price but I don’t know what market will say.

His play in the last 3 seasons is very reminiscent of a bottom pairing D, though.

He pretty much lost the scoring touch he once had, and while he tried to compensate in his own zone, where his play always was dubious, it still didn't get that much better.

Like waffledave said, he's nearing the PTO territory, fast.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad