News Article: Friedman's 31 Thoughts: Habs Draft, Pacioretty, Jack Johnson & Mark Hunter

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Friedman's latest 31 Thoughts was published earlier today. He had a few things regarding Montreal. Here is the link if you wish to read the entire thing: 31 Thoughts: Is Vegas thinking about re-visiting Erik Karlsson deal? - Sportsnet.ca

If Carolina decides to stay put, the draft starts with Montreal. GM Marc Bergevin is looking for centres and defencemen, telling anyone who will ask that the players they need are only available here.

We’ve all heard the rumours about his interest in Finnish centre Jesperi Kotkaniemi, but there are teams who believe he’s really interested in one of the top blue-liners. So he’s got everyone guessing, which is the idea. If Bergevin wishes, he can trade down a little and still get what he wants.

14. I do think Montreal is a stealth destination for unrestricted free-agent-to-be Jack Johnson.

15. There were reports Montreal began some preliminary discussions with
Max Pacioretty, who is one season away from unrestricted free agency. There’s a serious sense that those brief discussions are being prompted by other teams curious to hear what the winger is looking for on an extension.

A sign-and-trade makes a lot of sense for the Canadiens, too, as cost certainty makes him more valuable. Technically, he can’t sign a new contract until July 1, but there can be a “nudge, nudge, wink, wink” verbal agreement.

29. Mark Hunter, involved in almost as many rumours, has been linked to Detroit, Montreal and the Islanders. We’ll see. He’s (officially) unavailable until July 15.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
So... Chances are we won't be drafting the best player available? I'm not a fan of what I've been reading lately regarding the draft.

Hopefully it's all just a smokescreen. I've said it before that I expect one of Kotkaniemi, Tkachuk, or Dobson to the Habs @ 3 and passing on Zadina will make either Ottawa or Arizona very very happy.

I just expect the worse now with Marc Bergevin running things so I'm just gonna sit back and watch the next 3+ weeks unfold in Habsland at the draft, UFA and on the trade front. I don't know if it'll be good or not but it will very likely be quite interesting to see MB try and fix this mess he's created.

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
Why would you smokescreen with Kotkaniemi and not Zadina? Could be wrong but don't think teams would trade all the way up to 3 for him.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Friedman's latest 31 Thoughts was published earlier today. ...

If Carolina decides to stay put, the draft starts with Montreal.
GM Marc Bergevin is looking for centres and defencemen, telling anyone who will ask that the players they need are only available here.

I like the sound of that provided it also means that anyone on the Habs is available. After the season they've had last year and the GM making such a big deal about how unacceptable the "attitude" of the players was since the start of the season, then there is no way the current core should be able to survive intact.

Proof positive of this is how he wasn't able to do anything to curb it -- he felt helpless in the face of it.

Reactions: OldCraig71

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
He's not stopping much.

His offense has dried up and he sucks defensively. Guy should get 3 mill max, but will likely get around 5
Not sure what you mean, a stop gap is a temporary option while the kids learn. I recall that his value was around a first rounder at the deadline but CBJ wanted to keep him for their playoff run.

Reactions: mariolemieux66

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Juulsen was not a 3rd overall

Still a first a first rounder, though.

Also, how do we know what the concussion history is for the other players in his draft tier? I imagine a lot of concussions don't even get diagnosed, nor reported based on how even the NHL with more means than the leagues where these teenagers are playing, isn't able to rely on its spotters getting deployed at the right time.

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital

Also, how do we know what the concussion history is for the other players in his draft tier? I imagine a lot of concussions don't even get diagnosed, nor reported based on how even the NHL with more means than the leagues where these teenagers are playing, isn't able to rely on its spotters getting deployed at the right time.

I mean Juulsen is a 5-6th D at best

But yeah not all concussions are listed but still , Boqvist is known to have 2 major one already and hes only 18.
Juulsen was also injured alot also.

I see him drafted around 8-11 tbh.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto

It’s like mixed-martial arts and likely boxing as well. Dudes get KO’d in sparring all the time. In an actual live fight, normally athletic commissions restrict contact for a period of so if a fighter gets knocked out. However, they don’t know anything about sparring.

Would not be surprised at all if not more players have had concussions that go unreported. Heck, I got concussed myself in hockey practice because I tripped and hit my head. I mean, I’m not a pro athlete but crap like that happens in practice.

Reactions: Runner77

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
I wouldn't be upset with Dobson, either. But as for defensemen, I would prefer Hughes over everyone not named Dahlin.

I wouldn’t be upset per se, but I’d be disappointed with Dobson. I get why people may have concerns with Boqvist, who is my first choice, but if choosing a defenceman, Hughes is next on my list.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Could this be the reason why the OHL scout was fired? Mark Hunter know the OHL pretty well and maybe he suggest to bring his own scout?

Hunter isn't available until July 15th, or thereabouts .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad