News Article: Friedman's 31 Thoughts: Habs Draft, Pacioretty, Jack Johnson & Mark Hunter

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
How on earth was Gauthier supposed to hire a guy like Babcock or Hitchcock as an interim Head Coach?
He couldn't, which is why he didn't. But the idiots who protested outside the arena showed their ignorance of how things work. Qualified coaching candidates of any linguistic stripe are almost never available during the season because they're all employed elsewhere. So when you fire a guy with 20 or so games left in a season you have no pool of candidates from which to choose so you promote the assistant. Everybody with a functioning brain knew, or ought to have known, that Cunneyworth was never going to be the coach beyond those 20 or so games so there was zero reason to protest. They gave him the job because the rules say that somebody has to stand there behind the bench.

My argument is that if, hypothetically, a top-tier anglo coach with a winning pedigree were available and got hired there wouldn't have been much in the way of protest. Real fans care about winning and they realize that in order to win you need to hire the best people regardless of language. But that doesn't mean that they'll accept just any coach. If you hire a Babcock the fact that he doesn't speak French will be overlooked (as long as he wins, of course) because he's considered to be one of the best coaches in the game. But you hire some nobody like Cunneyworth? No, that's a bridge too far. Only francophone nobodies can get hired. If you hire an anglo he has to be elite.

And this gets us back to my point about Mark Hunter. Is he "elite" enough, at this point in his career, to earn a free pass on the language thing? Has he done enough elsewhere to have that kind of street cred with the Habs largely francophone fanbase? I'm not so sure he does. And his Habs pedigree is 35 years old and it was relatively brief and unremarkable. I'm not sure it buys him any slack either.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
He can play with Tarasenko, has familiarity with team Canada guys in Pietrangelo and Boumeester... They have some goaltending struggles but they usually are able to overcome them. They are a lot closer to a cup than we are, and more talent/depth throughout the lineup and in their prospect pool. Between Montreal and St Louis, I cannot see why he would pick us over them for the same contract.

There’s no allure to St. Louis. Montreal is a better city, has a better team history and the tax calculator tells me 48% of income at $10m per year goes to taxes in Missouri so it doesn’t really beat Quebec in that sense either.

All they have is the better team as of today. That can change quickly, as we’ve seen.

Reactions: Chris Cutter

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
I'm being facetious...though I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility mind you.

I was just poking fun at how 'some' rumors are legitimized here...someone mentions Jack Johnson to Montreal, and its guaranteed to happen.

Someone mentions JT to Montreal, and it's brushed aside as impossible.
Jack Johnson and John Tavares are exactly alike and have the same value across the league.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Pierre McGuire doesn't see any reason John T goes back to NYI.

Then confirmed sightings this weekend of John T and Weber at the Grand Prix Montreal....

Remember P.A Parenteau what he said over a month ago , he bet his father JT would come to Montrea as UFA...lol
It's 3 weeks from free agency, HABS need a C, HABS have cap space, Johnny T is good friends with Weber and Price, Johnny T is in Montreal hanging out with Webbs at the Grand Prix........I'm liking what I'm seeing.......not gonna bet the farm on it but I'm ready to bet the shed

David Suzuki

Aug 25, 2010
New Brunswick
When did he say this? I saw on twitter someone post a screenshot of a Reddit user saying he saw JT and Weber at the Grand Prix yesterday. And that user said he would try to get a pic of them, which he didn't provide afterwards.

So the reddit user isn't a reliable source. However, Pierre McGuire is a lot more legit and he'd surely do his due diligence to confirm if it's true before he says it.

I mean he is freinds with Weber and the Grand Prix is a pretty big event that a lot of people probably attend. I'm sure Weber has his ear but that would only move the needle so much. We gotta hope the bartenders at the race also had his ear :sarcasm:

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
I mean he is freinds with Weber and the Grand Prix is a pretty big event that a lot of people probably attend. I'm sure Weber has his ear but that would only move the needle so much. We gotta hope the bartenders at the race also had his ear :sarcasm:
Bartender twins Marie-France pis Manon :sarcasm:

Reactions: Runner77

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
That's because JT is the best guy to hit UFA is a decade plus, while JJ is a declining defenseman who's NHL career is ending and who fits exactly the mold of ****ty players that MB has consistently coveted for 6 years.
I think it's just because we're talking about MB and the worst is always assumed/presumed while anything positive has zero chance of happening.

I mean, that's fine...makes for crappy discussion, but I guess that's also fine.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Jack Johnson and John Tavares are exactly alike and have the same value across the league.
You can change the names, it doesn't change what I was poking fun at.

Anyone who is perceived as someone who can help the Habs positively, whether that's by trade, free agency or even draft...it's zero chance it happens because of MB.

While anyone who is perceived to make the Habs worse, is guaranteed to be acquired/signed/drafted by the Habs because of MB.

Based on what i've read here...the Habs will be trading for Jason Spezza, Derek Stepan Milan Lucic, re-signing Max Pacioretty to a 8yr 8M/yr extension, signing Jack Johnson to 5-6M/yr and drafting Brady Tkachuk.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
It's 3 weeks from free agency, HABS need a C, HABS have cap space, Johnny T is good friends with Weber and Price, Johnny T is in Montreal hanging out with Webbs at the Grand Prix........I'm liking what I'm seeing.......not gonna bet the farm on it but I'm ready to bet the shed
Let me get in on some of that action.

Reactions: jaffy27

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014

Anyone who is perceived as someone who can help the Habs positively, whether that's by trade, free agency or even draft...it's zero chance it happens because of MB.

While anyone who is perceived to make the Habs worse, is guaranteed to be acquired/signed/drafted by the Habs because of MB.

Based on what i've read here...the Habs will be trading for Jason Spezza, Derek Stepan, signing Jack Johnson and drafting Brady Tkachuk.

I've been reading the same things, so I doubt it will actually be that good an offseason ;)

Reactions: 417

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

Yes. We know this doesn't mean Habs have the inside track.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010

Based on what i've read here...the Habs will be trading for Jason Spezza, Derek Stepan, signing Jack Johnson and drafting Brady Tkachuk.

Derek Stepan would absolutely help the Habs. Spezza is pretty good low cost stopgap if the Habs fail to add centers. Tkachuk is far from my personal choice as a pick, but would help the team.

Bergevin earned the pessimistic view of his moves. Plus it isn't isolated to what Habs fans think of him either. And you can't divorce what Bergevin might try to do based on his previous moves and his comments form discussing moves you'd like the Habs to make or what moves they may make.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
Derek Stepan would absolutely help the Habs. Spezza is pretty good low cost stopgap if the Habs fail to add centers. Tkachuk is far from my personal choice as a pick, but would help the team.

Bergevin earned the pessimistic view of his moves. Plus it isn't isolated to what Habs fans think of him either. And you can't divorce what Bergevin might try to do based on his previous moves and his comments form discussing moves you'd like the Habs to make or what moves they may make.

Stepan maybe pending the price but a hard no on Spezza.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I'm not going to delve further into whether or not the players above could help the Habs...but I agree about Tkachuk.

Yet this board will have a DEFCON 1 warning if they ever do draft him.

Yes, he certainly has...but just seems like some go to extremes and come up with fantasy-like scenarios and pass them off as fact.

How did Friedman's 31 thoughts about the Habs being a stealth team, now turn into the Habs are interested in signing Jack Johnson for 5-6M??

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Yes. We know this doesn't mean Habs have the inside track.
It also means that 0% chance of getting him is bogus. Islanders was the major hurdle but it would seem like that wall has crumbled, it's open season on Tavares and we got him locked on the crosshairs

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
Based on what i've read here...the Habs will be trading for Jason Spezza, Derek Stepan Milan Lucic, re-signing Max Pacioretty to a 8yr 8M/yr extension, signing Jack Johnson to 5-6M/yr and drafting Brady Tkachuk.

Be honest, would you be surprised?

Is this impossible?

More or less impossible than losing Markov and Radulov for nothing with zero replacement, which you told me was totally stupid to even consider as a possibility this time last year.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
There’s no allure to St. Louis. Montreal is a better city, has a better team history and the tax calculator tells me 48% of income at $10m per year goes to taxes in Missouri so it doesn’t really beat Quebec in that sense either.

All they have is the better team as of today. That can change quickly, as we’ve seen.
With their problems in net, let's not pretend that STL is that close to SC territory too.

Reactions: jaffy27

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans

Is this impossible?

More or less impossible than losing Markov and Radulov for nothing with zero replacement, which you told me was totally stupid to even consider as a possibility this time last year.
Nobody wins the lottery back to back......he got burnt badly on that and felt the heat.....doubt he duplicates the same same mistakes two years in a row.....but if he does, carve me up a pitch fork

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

Is this impossible?
Would I be surprised if Bergevin traded for Derek Stepan, Jason Spezza, Milan Lucic, re-signed Pacioretty to a 8M/yr extension, signed Jack Johnson for 5-6M and drafted Tkachuk?

Hell yes...the only one of those scenarios that I think is even possible is drafting Tkachuk, which I don't think would be the disaster that some have already decided it will be.

I don't think when I said that it was at this time last year, pretty sure that was post July 1st...but point well made.

That being said, I'm not going to assume the absolute worse moves just because i'm dissatisfied with his work as a GM right now. I'm not going to read a thought from Friedman and start making far reaching conclusions and pass them off as fact, just because i'm dissatisfied with the GM.

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
Stepan maybe pending the price but a hard no on Spezza.

Why? Spezza is hail mary trade. He's got one year left on his contract so term isn't important. Dallas wants him gone, so Montreal may even be able to get a plus in acquiring him.

Spezza is older and may have fallen off a cliff, but he's still a good possession player, he's good at generating scoring chances and shots. He's also an excellent face-off guy. There's a real chance he's got more left to give and was just buried in Dallas.

Unless theirs a real cost to him, it seems like a low downside move (assuming Tavares is off the table). Habs aren't likely to be good next season regardless.

Reactions: Chris Cutter

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
I'm not going to delve further into whether or not the players above could help the Habs...but I agree about Tkachuk.

Yet this board will have a DEFCON 1 warning if they ever do draft him.

Yes, he certainly has...but just seems like some go to extremes and come up with fantasy-like scenarios and pass them off as fact.

How did Friedman's 31 thoughts about the Habs being a stealth team, now turn into the Habs are interested in signing Jack Johnson for 5-6M??

This maybe?

https://www.tsn.ca/radio/montreal-690/mckenzie-is-jack-johnson-on-the-habs-radar-1.1109091

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
When did he say this? I saw on twitter someone post a screenshot of a Reddit user saying he saw JT and Weber at the Grand Prix yesterday. And that user said he would try to get a pic of them, which he didn't provide afterwards.

So the reddit user isn't a reliable source. However, Pierre McGuire is a lot more legit and he'd surely do his due diligence to confirm if it's true before he says it.

here ya go ...lol

McGuire: I don't see why Tavares would re-sign with the Islanders

https://www.tsn.ca/radio/ottawa-120...es-would-re-sign-with-the-islanders-1.1109064

OB5

May 2, 2015
The Jack Johnson note should be devastating to all Habs fans.

What GM would look at what Alzner did all season and say "I want more of that"?

Insane.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2