News Article: Friedman's 31 Thoughts: Habs Draft, Pacioretty, Jack Johnson & Mark Hunter

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Trust me Johnson is not a top 3 Def in the NHL anymore
Hes waste of salary cap

If the plan is to tank then playing JJ on the top pairing with Weber means we can give Mete easier minutes which would be better for his development. Though I probably wouldn't give Johnson more then 2 years.

Think of it like this, if you wanted to ruin the development of Mete and Juulsen what would you do? I would throw them out there against the Crosby's, Ovechkin's, Stamkos's of the league so they get lit up and lose all confidence. If overpaying a guy like Johnson helps avoid that, then it's money well spent.

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
If the plan is to tank then playing JJ on the top pairing with Weber means we can give Mete easier minutes which would be better for his development. Though I probably wouldn't give Johnson more then 2 years.

Think of it like this, if you wanted to ruin the development of Mete and Juulsen what would you do? I would throw them out there against the Crosby's, Ovechkin's, Stamkos's of the league so they get lit up and lose all confidence. If overpaying a guy like Johnson helps avoid that, then it's money well spent.

or just put Juulsen and Mete AHL

And play

Rielly-Weber
Alzner-Petry
Benn-Schlemko

extra tank D , 2 youngs plays ahl to get better

win/win

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
they are probally hoping the get the 2015 Jack Johnson....the one who is good on the powerplay....at any rate Johnson likely could put up lets say 18 to 35 pts.....which would be way ahead of many D walking the blueline in Montreal...

Jack grew up a big Habs fan... im sure he be Jacked to come play and fill his childhood dream...that might mean a good season...if the deal is cheapo enough , i say roll the dice..

Dale Weise was a Habs fan...played his best hockey here....sometimes players get extra spark when playing for there dream team...

I like the backstory associated with him. Wondering where his skating is at these days?

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
or just put Juulsen and Mete AHL

Less for for Juulsen but for Mete getting sent down would probably be a bitter pill to swallow. It's tough to know how they would react to being sent to the AHL when they know they are good enough for the NHL. If for example they sulk then they probably wouldn't actually improve much beyond simply adding muscle.

It takes a special kind of mental toughness to deal with that and most people/NHLers included don't have it. That's not a knock on their character or work ethic, it's just the reality of being human. So unless they have terrible camps and deserve to get cut I'm not sure that's the right move.

SquiddFX

#Seanski
Dec 16, 2013
Montreal
The Jack Johnson thing seems odd to me. He needs a long term deal at a good AAV to get back the money he lost when his parents screwed him over. I would only sign him if it was a short term deal of 2 seasons max. We'd be able to flip him for assets if needed.

The million dollar question is would he sign a short term deal?

Reactions: Chris Cutter

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
Less for for Juulsen but for Mete getting sent down would probably be a bitter pill to swallow. It's tough to know how they would react to being sent to the AHL when they know they are good enough for the NHL. If for example they sulk then they probably wouldn't actually improve much beyond simply adding muscle.

It takes a special kind of mental toughness to deal with that and most people/NHLers included don't have it. That's not a knock on their character or work ethic, it's just the reality of being human. So unless they have terrible camps and deserve to get cut I'm not sure that's the right move.

oh cmon he scored 0 goals

he needs more icetime

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Also bit of Habs then NHL talk last night on satellite radio, NHL network radio. Some of it concerning Montreal. I'm not much on radios. Got it free in package as bought new Dodge truck last August. I should start listening to it more I guess.

Anyway, they said Habs wouldn't trade the 3rd for anything less than a front line center. So, doubt we will trade the pick. Also, said Pacioretty likely traded at the draft. Best for the club and him. They did say there is a lot of interest in him. Which kind of surprised me considering the terrible season he just had. Some interest in Galchenyuk also. On the Price contract, they said Montreal had to make that deal. Because if he walked it would take the face of the franchise with him. But it is turning into a deal with the devil type of thing. Did say if Montreal gets off to a slow start next season likely a short rope for Julien and Bergevin. They didn't know how the team will play next season considering Weber coming off missing a season and then major surgery at 33. Price they were questionable on. What they get back for Pacioretty, who they draft and which free agents they are able to bring there. Said next 2-3 weeks are huge to future of Habs.

Around the league they said Nashville has Subban on the market. Ottawa has expressed an interest. Said, Subban is bigger than the team and this game isn't about 1 guy but 23 instead. He is not a cancer but wearing out his welcome in Nashville. Also, said if they move Subban they will take a good run at Tavares. Preds were disappointed in Turris in the plaoffs and that 6 and 36 contract could be a mistake. He looks more like a third line center than a second. Way they talked didn't sound a contract like a Karlsson is coming back. Unless, the Preds plan on flipping him to somebody else?

On Tavares, Isles may be back in the picture now that Lou is there. Lou has been contacting clubs about a high end goalie. If he gets one could increase chance Tavares stays. THey say Lou strenght is his ability to judge goalies. He has picked out some good ones over the years, ie. Schneider, Brodeur, Andersson, etc... Which led to much of his success. If Tavares does hit the open market on July 1, expect Nashville and California teams will be clubs with best chance. Rumours California teams may not bring back Jumbo Joe this year or Corey Perry is traded to free up caproom to take a on Tavares type contract. They suspect be in the 12x7 neighbourhood.

Carolina there was some talk. They need a goalie, Skinner and Hanifin could be traded. Darling they willing to give him some rope as he never had the team in front of him he had in Chicago. If Canes draft Svechnikov and trade Skinner and Hanifin for the right parts he could be a better goalie.

They were talking more but it was speculation....Toronto/Babcock and Matthews next contract. Saying what a slap in face to Isles fans if Tavares ends up with Rangers? Capitals Cup win with Ovechkin finally playing like a team player. Blocking shots, playing better defense, etc....

P.S. Forgot to add. They were saying Trotts was gone if he never won a cup. He is not overly happy way he was handled in Wash. They add an associate coach he didn't want and gave him an extension. Speculaltion he may go to Lou on the Island.

Last edited:

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Hopefully it's all just a smokescreen. I've said it before that I expect one of Kotkaniemi, Tkachuk, or Dobson to the Habs @ 3 and passing on Zadina will make either Ottawa or Arizona very very happy.

I just expect the worse now with Marc Bergevin running things so I'm just gonna sit back and watch the next 3+ weeks unfold in Habsland at the draft, UFA and on the trade front. I don't know if it'll be good or not but it will very likely be quite interesting to see MB try and fix this mess he's created.
Kotkaniemi's skating concerns too much to give up a Zadina. Can't see him at 3. Skill wise Kotkaniemi would go 15-18th. But because he is best center available many see him going 8-10. May slide to 12. I compare him to a Thomas, Chytil or Howden from late first in recent drafts. Guys who at 18 were ranked around his but improved

Reactions: Runner77

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Also bit of Habs then NHL talk last night on satellite radio, NHL network radio. Some of it concerning Montreal. I'm not much on radios. Got it free in package as bought new Dodge truck last August. I should start listening to it more I guess.

Anyway, they said Habs wouldn't trade the 3rd for anything less than a front line center. So, doubt we will trade the pick. Also, said Pacioretty likely traded at the draft. Best for the club and him. They did say there is a lot of interest in him. Which kind of surprised me considering the terrible season he just had. Some interest in Galchenyuk also. On the Price contract, they said Montreal had to make that deal. Because if he walked it would take the face of the franchise with him. But it is turning into a deal with the devil type of thing. Did say if Montreal gets off to a slow start next season likely a short rope for Julien and Bergevin. They didn't know how the team will play next season considering Weber coming off missing a season and then major surgery at 33. Price they were questionable on. What they get back for Pacioretty, who they draft and which free agents they are able to bring there. Said next 2-3 weeks are huge to future of Habs.

Around the league they said Nashville has Subban on the market. Ottawa has expressed an interest. Said, Subban is bigger than the team and this game isn't about 1 guy but 23 instead. He is not a cancer but wearing out his welcome in Nashville. Also, said if they move Subban they will take a good run at Tavares. Preds were disappointed in Turris in the plaoffs and that 6 and 36 contract could be a mistake. He looks more like a third line center than a second. Way they talked didn't sound a contract like a Karlsson is coming back. Unless, the Preds plan on flipping him to somebody else?

On Tavares, Isles may be back in the picture now that Lou is there. Lou has been contacting clubs about a high end goalie. If he gets one could increase chance Tavares stays. THey say Lou strenght is his ability to judge goalies. He has picked out some good ones over the years, ie. Schneider, Brodeur, Andersson, etc... Which led to much of his success. If Tavares does hit the open market on July 1, expect Nashville and California teams will be clubs with best chance. Rumours California teams may not bring back Jumbo Joe this year or Corey Perry is traded to free up caproom to take a on Tavares type contract. They suspect be in the 12x7 neighbourhood.

Carolina there was some talk. They need a goalie, Skinner and Hanifin could be traded. Darling they willing to give him some rope as he never had the team in front of him he had in Chicago. If Canes draft Svechnikov and trade Skinner and Hanifin for the right parts he could be a better goalie.

They were talking more but it was speculation....Toronto/Babcock and Matthews next contract. Saying what a slap in face to Isles fans if Tavares ends up with Rangers? Capitals Cup win with Ovechkin finally playing like a team player. Blocking shots, playing better defense, etc....
Thanks for the info, if PK gets dealt this offseason that'll raise a lot of eyebrows, imagine MB will be tripping over people to get to the mic to say "I told you so"

Next few weeks is definitely crucial to the direction we are taking for the next 5 years

Don't want anything to do with JJ no matter how much he loved Montreal, he's not the defensemen we are looking for. Hunter would be a huge score and legitimise us outside of Montreal and the foxhole gang

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Kotkaniemi's skating concerns too much to give up a Zadina. Can't see him at 3. Skill wise Kotkaniemi would go 15-18th. But because he is best center available many see him going 8-10. May slide to 12. I compare him to a Thomas, Chytil or Howden from late first in recent drafts. Guys who at 18 were ranked around his but improved

giphy.gif

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
There aren't exactly a lot of GM positions he could vye for. I'm not even sure he'd be a top candidate, he's only been an assistant to the GM for a few years.

He could try for another assistant GM job where scouting is involved, which is where the Habs would come in.

Isn't that The job ? And for Hunter there would be a ceiling unless he picks up the language

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

P.S. Forgot to add. They were saying Trotts was gone if he never won a cup. He is not overly happy way he was handled in Wash. They add an associate coach he didn't want and gave him an extension. Speculaltion he may go to Lou on the Island.

I don't know who exactly was commenting but it sounds like a whole lot of BS.
They are simply going with obvious talking points.
Pacioretty is most talked player out of Mtl, one of the best scoring wingers in the NHL, in a terrible season he still put up 17 goals. Otherwise he has had five 30+ goal seasons in the previous 6 years...
No shit he will be a very attractive. Not sure why you are surprised by this..

Bergevin had to extend Price because the team has been built with him as its MVP, duh.
But such a deal ends up biting us in the ass, duh again.

PK trade rumors....how original.
Nashville moving PK would be truly hilarious. I don't think they are as dumb as to do this.
Josi and Ellis were quite ordinary these POs, so the solution is to trade the guy they relied the most on...I mean, sure, that would make sense..:huh:
I'd be very surprised if they did this.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

Pretty sure most NHLers get sent down to the minors regularly during the early years.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
When did Brisebois become available?

And forget Mark Hunter as GM. He doesn't parlez-vous. You forgot what happened the last time this organization put a uni-lingual person into a supposed position of power?

15 people protested outside the building and they fired the coach.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
The Jack Johnson thing seems odd to me. He needs a long term deal at a good AAV to get back the money he lost when his parents screwed him over. I would only sign him if it was a short term deal of 2 seasons max. We'd be able to flip him for assets if needed.

The million dollar question is would he sign a short term deal?
It could work if we give him 2 years @ 5-6M and retain on his last year. (When we eventually swap him)

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
I won't say Johnson would be Alzner 2.0 but he certainly not what the Habs need at this point. I somehow still don't find it hard to believe that Bergevin would be looking into this.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

First - thanks for providing this recap, lots of informative stuff

Secondly - why is this surprising? The 64 sub par games he had this year, don't wipe out the 476 games prior to that where he was one of the leagues best goal scorers, despite never having a front line center.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad