Sportsnet: Friedman: TOR could take swing for 1 Year of Panarin

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Bud, you dont know what you are talking about. First, no one knows what the cost will be. Second, the Leafs have almost 14 million available for this year only. When you add a Panarin, you do it, for a one year deal and very good chance to lift a shiny cup over his head.

This is the dumbest reasoning I’ve seen where one year matters not the long term success and cap management. Glad Dubas isn’t so shortsighted

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
This is the dumbest reasoning I’ve seen where one year matters not the long term success and cap management. Glad Dubas isn’t so shortsighted

So you're aware that Dubas mentioned this very type of scenario recently right? That good players on short deals were looking to come here?

you need to calm down.

Reactions: IWD

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Sad to witness Friedman's fall from a pretty legit insider.

This makes no sense btw.
I see this everywhere, and I don't get it.

Friedman does the same thing he always has done. He's then added a segment where he is speculating, and takes pains to point out when he does that. If people can't handle an insider also having his own ideas and theories, or somehow fail to differentiate between clearly stated speculation and inside information, then that's their failure, not his.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
Panarin makes 6m. Leafs have like 14m in cap space and need to sign Nylander? They have plenty of space Im confused. why wouldnt you go for it, if its 1 yr and the price isnt outrageous?

Exactly. Panarin would give us video game forwards.

There's no big-salary defenceman coming to save the cap room for.

Reactions: IWD

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Exactly. Panarin would give us video game forwards.

There's no big-salary defenceman coming to save the cap room for.
Probem would be that after a Nylander signing and Panarin coming over, we'd be at $1M cap space. That would mean that we'd get carry over into a season where we need every cap dollar we can get. Of course, it's likely that someone on the roster goes the other way.

Reactions: LeafingTheWay

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
But this in turn Depends on the market for D men, which seemingly seems to be very pretty horribly lopsided towards sellers. If they could get Paranin for a reasonable cost it would at least be worth considering

That's because everyone knows wingers are a dime a dozen and everyone covets top 4 Dmen which means they have exceptional value and cost attached.

Leafs gave away Kessel for Kapanen + Scott Harrington + 1st essentially and that would be the similar type package that would be offered for Panarin.

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
I see this everywhere, and I don't get it.

Friedman does the same thing he always has done. He's then added a segment where he is speculating, and takes pains to point out when he does that. If people can't handle an insider also having his own ideas and theories, or somehow fail to differentiate between clearly stated speculation and inside information, then that's their failure, not his.
Agreed. He was (and usually always is) pretty clear to point out "this is just my thoughts not speculation," before he says something. Then people on here create thread titles (or don't specify opinion in OP) implying it is insider info based on a source, and many don't bother to fact check the original report by Friedman.

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
So you're aware that Dubas mentioned this very type of scenario recently right? That good players on short deals were looking to come here?

you need to calm down.

are you also aware that Dubas doesn't believe in spending huge assets jeopardizing the future for a rental

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
So we need a $6,000,000 winger like we need a kick in the a$$. I don't want cap space issues this season at the trade deadline or next year for bonus overages.

All bonus money seems pretty assured that it will have tobe paid at a glance of this lineup.

We need nothing else but time to watch this team play some games and the Marlies players develop.

IWD

May 28, 2003
Visit site
Speaking of Columbus, what about Savard? He averaged about 20-21 minutes last season. 27 year old RHD with size.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Save the money for a deadline deal rental.

Barring major injuries, we're likely in the running for home ice advantage in the 1st round without Panarin. So why make that commitment now when TDL rental winger that could provide similar results will likely be available for less.

For that matter, it might still be Panarin if the Jackets are asking too much now.

BTP

Apr 28, 2013
Our strength is offence, i'd like to see us MAXIMIZE that strength. I wouldn't be mad.

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
IF this happens, Dubas will have gotten 2 top 20 scorers from outside the organization in 1 summer.

2 top 20 scorers alone is enough to take a non-playoff team to a playoff team in a lot of situations.

That doesn't even include the fact that Matthews probably will be in there and Marner playing at the same pace as last year would probably edge himself in too. Did I forget to mention Nylander? Kadri?

Could be an insane season next year.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
This upcoming season is the best opportunity to win a Cup and I expect Leafs to exploit all opportunities to win it all this upcoming season before the Cap becomes a major deterrent down the road effecting team depth and strength.

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
It's only a 1 year deal. If he is gonna cost you a set price, pay the premium of an extra 2nd or 3rd plus prospect to get them to retain money.

Reactions: diceman934

Razz

Jan 23, 2011
Mississauga
How on earth would a team forecheck against this? Seems so unlikely the Leafs can do it, but it's fun to think about.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
He’d be our best LW by a country mile and I would fall over myself to add him if we could. Problem is, unless we’re sending Nylander over in the deal, we’re not able to keep him. Four elite forwards is freaking awesome, but five doesn’t fit the long term cap. I’d pay an outrageous rental fee, but I draw the line before Kadri or Dermott. Kapanen+2 fists, hell yeah let’s score 400 goals this year. Kadri is too important to go for a rental that we can’t keep.

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
Save the money for a deadline deal rental.

Barring major injuries, we're likely in the running for home ice advantage in the 1st round without Panarin. So why make that commitment now when TDL rental winger that could provide similar results will likely be available for less.

For that matter, it might still be Panarin if the Jackets are asking too much now.

I do agree with you, but I think Panarin will go for a lot cheaper than most think. Colombus is in a bad position since 1) His contract is almost done and he's not resigning for sure 2) He has a limited # of teams he'll want to be traded to. On the other hand, teams with rentals available will be selling them at a high price like usual. I mean if it took a 2nd to get Boyle or Plekanec type player, imagine what it would take to get a player similar to Panarin at the TDL.

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
If we do get him, we'd be Stanley cup favourites easily.

Adding a 86 pt 1C and a 82 pt 1LW in the same summer, Dubas would be the greatest GM of all time.

Reactions: The Cobra

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2