Sportsnet: Friedman: TOR could take swing for 1 Year of Panarin

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
What if it comes to the point where CBJ still has Panarin at the deadline, and they are 10 points out of a playoff spot, and they are willing to sell him as a rental.

I would easily trade 1st+2nd+Durzi/Rasanen/Grundstrom for Panarin.

Not saying you are doing this, but I have seen so many people dismissive of the thought of trading 1st round picks+ for Panarin just because we're already stacked on offense and we supposedly need D. Like we don't need the best LW in the NHL? It would make us cup favorites undoubtedly and we are in a window here where we have to go for it.
Someone will overpay if came down to that.

Reactions: The Cobra

LeafShark

Feb 2, 2010
Leafs have no need to acquire a rental for the regular season. Wait for the trade deadline where it will only cost a 2nd rounder for a 20 goal scorer on the last year of his contract.

DopeyFish

Mitchy McDangles
Nov 17, 2009
See bolded responses.

The answer to B is the reason for the answer to A.

Actually we would be better off offensively and defensively by acquiring Panarin vs Parayko

Strong possession player, not having to lose core pieces, increasing team speed and transition, increasing our ozf to near optimal levels, increasing our takeaways, leafs 3 first lines hitting 4th lines/3rd pairings 4 times a period leading to a massive increase in the probability of the following outcomes: we score, we get a powerplay, they shorten their bench and tire themselves out, which leads to defensive improvement and increases effectiveness of all lines due to energy mismatch.

Having to trade a core piece makes Parayko a non starter.

barilko05

NHL FAN
Jan 28, 2011
How many times does it have to be spelled out? Don't mortgage your future on the CHANCE we might grab the brass ring. Tukka Rask...Alex Steen...Brad Boyes...not to mention 1st round picks that turned into Scott Niedermayer, Roberto Luongo, Logan Couture...I could go on but I'm getting that sick feeling in the pit of my stomach again. Can we just let our draftees mature for at least a season or two before we toss them out like drunks at last call? FFS.

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
How many times does it have to be spelled out? Don't mortgage your future on the CHANCE we might grab the brass ring. Tukka Rask...Alex Steen...Brad Boyes...not to mention 1st round picks that turned into Scott Niedermayer, Roberto Luongo, Logan Couture...I could go on but I'm getting that sick feeling in the pit of my stomach again. Can we just let our draftees mature for at least a season or two before we toss them out like drunks at last call? FFS.
And how many other prospects drafted by Toronto since neidermayer didn’t make the nhl? Hindsight is 20/20. Toronto is getting really close to being legit contenders and buying at TDL.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.

I agree with this. Panarin would be incredible but the long term plan of keepin and developing our high picks is the school of thought I follow. We will need those ELCs.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Panarin is that last Phil Kessel piece you can acquire in a few years when you have routinely been showing well in the playoffs.
We still need to evaluate the D, either internally or something acquired externally to solidify us.
Then we need to show solid progress as this playoff team.
Then when we do and some team has Panarin for 3/4 more years of his contract but are moving in another direction...you add.

barilko05

NHL FAN
Jan 28, 2011
And how many other prospects drafted by Toronto since neidermayer didn’t make the nhl? Hindsight is 20/20. Toronto is getting really close to being legit contenders and buying at TDL.
Granted, Luongo and Niedermayer were high picks, not the in the mid 20's where we should expect to be in the next few years. But lets just hold on the 1st until the deadline at least, when we know its not going to be a lottery pick. Knowing this team's luck, we'd deal it for Panarin, then lose a couple of key guys to injury, miss the playoffs by a point, end up with a top 3 pick in the lottery, and then lose Panarin to free agency, anyway. (This scenario tells you I've been a fan for LONG time, doesn't it?)

What I'm really saying is lets keep the guys we've ALREADY drafted and let them develop. We don't even know what we really have with Liljgren yet...or even 2nd tier guys like Bracco or Grundstrom. Our window isn't closing anytime soon. Give them time.

Le Cobra

Rent A Goalie
Nov 11, 2015
Toronto The Good
Granted, Luongo and Niedermayer were high picks, not the in the mid 20's where we should expect to be in the next few years. But lets just hold on the 1st until the deadline at least, when we know its not going to be a lottery pick. Knowing this team's luck, we'd deal it for Panarin, then lose a couple of key guys to injury, miss the playoffs by a point, end up with a top 3 pick in the lottery, and then lose Panarin to free agency, anyway. (This scenario tells you I've been a fan for LONG time, doesn't it?)

What I'm really saying is lets keep the guys we've ALREADY drafted and let them develop. We don't even know what we really have with Liljgren yet...or even 2nd tier guys like Bracco or Grundstrom. Our window isn't closing anytime soon. Give them time.

I agree with this. But if there is some way to acquire Panarin without losing Matthews Tavares Marner Nylander or Liljegren I think we should take it

Reactions: Garthinater

Le Cobra

Rent A Goalie
Nov 11, 2015
Toronto The Good
We have 13 days until we find out where he is going.

Speculation swirled last season, Panarin’s first in Columbus after playing his first two seasons with the Chicago Blackhawks, that the Russian preferred a larger marketand bigger spotlight for his talents, with proximity to beaches being a possible sweetener.

Sounds like Toronto except we don’t have any beaches

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
We have 13 days until we find out where he is going.

Sounds like Toronto except we don’t have any beaches

Except we'd be acquiring him strictly as a rental. I'd dangle our first round pick+ out there for a Panarin, Karlsson, Seguin, or Pacioretty as a rental.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
If we're trading assets for a player I would hope it would be for a young. controlled D. Not Panarin.

If we want some more firepower up front, sign Nash after Christmas.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Well... We do have beaches... Though they suck. Too bad Wasaga is not closer.
Wasaga also sucks or at the very least isn't a selling point to an NHLer.

This screams LA or Miami. Supposedly a significant portion of NHLers live in Huntington Beach when they play for LA or Anaheim.

Garthinater

Nov 22, 2015
I agree with this. But if there is some way to acquire Panarin without losing Matthews Tavares Marner Nylander or Liljegren I think we should take it

Agree. Adding panarin to our top 9 would be insane! But only at the right price

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Pick up Seguin at the TDL and call it a day, unless we are able to land a long term fixture in the top 4 of our d core.

I’d rather pay 1st + for Seguin than a crappy rental d man

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad