Sportsnet: Friedman: TOR could take swing for 1 Year of Panarin

Once

Stop ******* crying bro
Jul 16, 2010
He should fetch a similar package ala Kessel. He’d be a rental for sure.

Kapanen + Borgman + 1st

Also have to be cautious with the bonus money that SHOULD be paid this year rather than next.

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
It's probably not going to happen. We can all agree. But let's assume it's some package of picks and prospects;

Panarin - Tavares - Marner
Marleau - Matthews - Nylander
Hyman - Kadri - Kapanen
Johnsson - Lindholm - Brown

lmao

That line up would give Team Canada a run for its money, have mercy.

Reactions: The Cobra

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
That's because everyone knows wingers are a dime a dozen and everyone covets top 4 Dmen which means they have exceptional value and cost attached.

Leafs gave away Kessel for Kapanen + Scott Harrington + 1st essentially and that would be the similar type package that would be offered for Panarin.
The package for Kessel who was under contract for many years and not a one year rental.

Reactions: Brock Radunske

JadedLeaf

Nov 14, 2007
Saskatchewan
The package for Kessel who was under contract for many years and not a one year rental.
Well the only team he would go to was the Pens so it's not like he got full market value. A lot of that was on previous management handing out contracts like candy. Kessels value couldn't have been lower at the time and most of the reason was on pre-shanny management.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Well the only team he would go to was the Pens so it's not like he got full market value. A lot of that was on previous management handing out contracts like candy. Kessels value couldn't have been lower at the time and most of the reason was on pre-shanny management.
I was glad we got rid of him and still am. He was under contract for far to many years and as a result we got what we could as he simply needed to go!

JadedLeaf

Nov 14, 2007
Saskatchewan
I was glad we got rid of him and still am. He was under contract for far to many years and as a result we got what we could as he simply needed to go!
Oh I know, I was having panic attacks watching Nonis and Burke hand out contracts. We definitely didn't get much for him but I'm still happy with the end result.

On topic, Panarin would likely cost quite a bit... More then I'm probably willing to give up unless he signs long term but even then, I'd rather tweak the d a little bit then add more guys up front. I wouldn't be upset, it would just feel a little redundant at this point lol

Reactions: Garthinater

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Shanny has said it, Babcock has said it, Lou said it when he was here, Dubas has said it, the plan (Shanny Plan) is to build a franchise that is a contender every year for a long period of time, emptying our cupboards for a one year shot at the cup is the exact opposite plan.

If we need D and Dubas has said he thinks our solutions are internal, why would he trade a boatload of talent for a winger, for a position that is not a need, instead of trading the same cache for a D-man which is our need?

This won't happen.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
kessel didn't have as much value as panarin and the organization was desperate to get rid of him. surely panarin will get more in a trade than what kessel got

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Shanny has said it, Babcock has said it, Lou said it when he was here, Dubas has said it, the plan (Shanny Plan) is to build a franchise that is a contender every year for a long period of time, emptying our cupboards for a one year shot at the cup is the exact opposite plan.

If we need D and Dubas has said he thinks our solutions are internal, why would he trade a boatload of talent for a winger, for a position that is not a need, instead of trading the same cache for a D-man which is our need?

This won't happen.

Preach it!

Some folks here have forgotten about the long term sustained success part of the equation that Shanaplan has always preached.

Preach some sanity on these boards

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Panarin - Matthews - Brown
Marleau - Tavares - Marner
Johnsson - Kadri - Nylander
Hyman - Lindholm - Grundstrom

Sooooooo filthy.

Reactions: Garthinater

Obliviate

Jun 26, 2018
He’d be our best LW by a country mile and I would fall over myself to add him if we could. Problem is, unless we’re sending Nylander over in the deal, we’re not able to keep him. Four elite forwards is freaking awesome, but five doesn’t fit the long term cap. I’d pay an outrageous rental fee, but I draw the line before Kadri or Dermott. Kapanen+2 fists, hell yeah let’s score 400 goals this year. Kadri is too important to go for a rental that we can’t keep.
Columbus simply doesn't have enough leverage to pull an elite player out of a team. They have to move Panarin or they lose him outright. They will try to maximize their return, but It will likely be more pick / prospect oriented.

Obliviate

Jun 26, 2018

This won't happen.
Why do we only have one shot at it? You've seen our lineup, you know, the one with young core? This team is built to compete now and in the future.

I don't know that Panarin is the right fit for us, but to be honest, these are the type of deals you try to capitalize on - when the other team is not holding all the cards. You can end up with a nice player for less than market value.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Any time you can add a star player you do it, if there is any chance he can be added to this group you do it, I am not convinced a healthy Leaf team cab be stopped now, you add Panarin and it's GAME OVER

Reactions: BM14

Dzonna

Mar 28, 2017
I know this is off topic and not saying bracco is on the same level or even near, but I wish he had of developed better to be marners replacement beside kadri for this year, as Marner will be flanking Tavares.

Edit: random summer time comment

griffon1

Feb 14, 2018
Adrift at sea
This isn't happening. They could have just kept JVR and traded him when needed but they are ok on scoring and need defence. It's Dubas not Dumbas.

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
This isn't happening. They could have just kept JVR and traded him when needed but they are ok on scoring and need defence. It's Dubas not Dumbas.
Also uh, like Friedman said: San Jose is another team that wants him (Pana) real hard. They finna lock on that ass. Doug Wilson moving thangs and doing thangs. Imagine that kind of dirt like Panarin playing with likes sucks as Joe Thornton, Pavelski, Kane and Abel, Hertl and Couture. That there is some tserious talent right there. They got the room, so they finna get it. They also got a cool, ok solid D so they are treally pushing for that last stanley cup run. Real hard. Bank on that thang.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Trouba doesn't want to play in Canada apparently. I don't think either of them would be on the team long term

It was reported that Trouba was ready to sign long term after the Jets got eliminated. Jets played hardball and they're back to square one.

I think Toronto can sign him long term.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad