Sportsnet: Friedman: TOR could take swing for 1 Year of Panarin

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Panarin is definitely the offensive driver in CBus.

That said, our offense is already studly. I would want to use our remaining cap and assets on a player who could help on D.

Nothing wrong with going all out on offence if the price tag isn't too steep.

Very few teams (if any) could stop the following:

Panarin Matthews Nylander
Marleau Tavares Marner
Johnsson Kadri Kapanen
Hyman -------- Brown

The majority of the game will be spent in the opposing zone which will alleviate the pressure on a middle of the road D.

DopeyFish

Mitchy McDangles
Nov 17, 2009
adding great players is always a net positive. you're finding out in a few posts why you post on a forum and not a gm lol. What a silly thought process.

I always keep saying this: the twelfth crosby you add is more dangerous than the first.

The more offense you add, the more likely you are to win because of matchups. Always is a reminder that when you have 3 lines with PPG talent on it, one of those lines is going to be hitting third pairing regularly and 4th lines often. Not just a few times a game but multiple times a period. Then what happens is teams start shortening their bench in order to limit the overexposure then we'd start crushing them on conserved energy with our balanced attack.

We would win at 5v5, and special teams just by showing up. Adding Panarin, even if for just one year, may be worth it as long as we are mainly dealing picks and a few prospects which we're comfortable giving up.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
Why is the cost for a guy that has one year left and has basically said he’s not re-signing with the Jackets so astronomical?

I mean he’s not free but I can’t see the Jackets getting much more than a 1st round pick. They would probably prefer a package of 2x 2nd rounders and a project prospect.

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
First two seasons he played with Patty Kane (check is WOWY stats)
  • When you have patty kane on the other side; other teams are focussing more on him; also Keith was is most often D partner
Last season his most common D-pairs was werenski and jones
  • when you have stud d-men moving the puck out of the zone quickly - zone exists and then the zone entries become far easier as opposition doesn't have time to get into position

Panarin is good but he is so overrated by "stat watchers" without using stats with context.

This is terribly inaccurate. Provide the WOWYS that you're tellimg others to check, because I checked and it doesn't align with your opinion. His play with and without those stars is really good.

For your sake, let's assume he's been this good mainly because he gets to play with Jones/Werenski in Colombus (no stud Fs by the way) and Kane in Chicago (who had by-far career best 106 and 89 pts playing WITH Panarin). He put up 82 points in Colombus and nearly the same in Chciago right? So assuming he plays with Matthews/Nylander or Tavares/Marner, would he not put up 80 points or more? What's the issue here? You're complaining that Panarin is overrated even though he'd put up ~80 points on our team, as I just explained.

The only reason for not wanting Panarin is that it would cost too much and that's a good reason.

Last edited:

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Panarin-Matthews-Nylander
Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Marleau-Kadri-Kapanen
Johnsson-Lindholm-Brown

Assuming no roster player went for Panarin, which of course one would.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Panarin makes 6m. Leafs have like 14m in cap space and need to sign Nylander? They have plenty of space Im confused. why wouldnt you go for it, if its 1 yr and the price isnt outrageous?

Because people here think it's the end of the world if we spend to the cap apparently. Panarin would be a rental. No doubt about it. My only gripe with this theoretical scenario would be what would be given up for that 1 year. If it's Marlies wingers and a pick or something, sure. But anyone thinking a haul is coming for a 1 year rental, no matter how elite, is deluding themselves.

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
Because people here think it's the end of the world if we spend to the cap apparently. Panarin would be a rental. No doubt about it. My only gripe with this theoretical scenario would be what would be given up for that 1 year. If it's Marlies wingers and a pick or something, sure. But anyone thinking a haul is coming for a 1 year rental, no matter how elite, is deluding themselves.

Agreed.

Correct me if I'm wrong (read it an article before all this Panarin trade talk, by Mirtle I think) but another worry though is performance bonuses. Assuming Willy goes for 6.5 and Panarin 6, we would have 1.5 left in space. Performance bonuses would put us over the cap, which gets carried over into next season. And that's the year the cap is already tight. So Mirtle (or who ever the author was) suggested we play it safe with the cap this year so we don't go over.

roosterman

Feb 4, 2008
Panarin makes 6m. Leafs have like 14m in cap space and need to sign Nylander? They have plenty of space Im confused. why wouldnt you go for it, if its 1 yr and the price isnt outrageous?

Leafs do not have the cap space this year if you do not want the $3.7M in bonuses for Matthews and Marner this year to carry over to next year. In the CBA, performance bonuses cannot be applied against the available $5.3M LTIR from Hortons contract. As a result we have to stay under the cap as outlined below:

14.7M in current cap space. This is for 19 players and need to sign 4 more this year. This includes Horton salary.

6.5M Nylander
3.7M for Matthews / Marner bonuses so they do not carry forward to next year
Leaves 4.5M to sign three more players.

This is why we do not have the room for Panarin.

Reactions: Kurtz

as Pure as Evil

Sep 18, 2011
Hell, Alberta
The only way I would agree to something like this is if you could get doug Wilson or another western G.M to facilitate a trade from boston for carlo or Player X, from some team that would make us overpay through the ass. then turn around a trade pannarin to san jose for whatever goodies we ask him to obtain for us. we sure don't need another winger even a fantastic extremely skilled one

member 300185

He’s really good, might even challenge for our third best forward. But is that a luxury we can really afford to spend assets on, with this defence?
Defence won't matter, our forwards will have the puck all the time. Plus, people are underrating the D. Our D corp were part of a 105 point team already.

If the add is just some minor league stuff, then why not? Almost guarantees a cup.

member 300185

When you have a chance to do:

Marleau-Matthews-Nylander
Panarin-Tavares-Marner
Johnsson-Kadri-Kapanen

YOU DO IT!! THATS WHAT A CUP WINNING TEAM LOOKS LIKE!!!

Reactions: geoo9 and BTP

member 300185

First two seasons he played with Patty Kane (check is WOWY stats)
  • When you have patty kane on the other side; other teams are focussing more on him; also Keith was is most often D partner
Last season his most common D-pairs was werenski and jones
  • when you have stud d-men moving the puck out of the zone quickly - zone exists and then the zone entries become far easier as opposition doesn't have time to get into position

Panarin is good but he is so overrated by "stat watchers" without using stats with context.

AND

Panarin as a rental for one year is going to cost what? Is it worth it?

AND

If Panarin is going to be signed with the Leafs (at 27 years old) that comes at the cost of which 22-23 year old player?
Matthews, Marner, Nylander
?

NO matter how you slice and dice it. In a cap world this is a stupid move given that Toronto's core is already established and Toronto has already made that big splash -> "John Tavares"
Bud, you dont know what you are talking about. First, no one knows what the cost will be. Second, the Leafs have almost 14 million available for this year only. When you add a Panarin, you do it, for a one year deal and very good chance to lift a shiny cup over his head.

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
Not worth it - Leaf's need to keep their first and develop quality talent on ELC's to replace player's like Johnsson, Kapanen, Brown when they commend bigger salaries.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Leafs do not have the cap space this year if you do not want the $3.7M in bonuses for Matthews and Marner this year to carry over to next year. In the CBA, performance bonuses cannot be applied against the available $5.3M LTIR from Hortons contract. As a result we have to stay under the cap as outlined below:

14.7M in current cap space. This is for 19 players and need to sign 4 more this year. This includes Horton salary.

6.5M Nylander
3.7M for Matthews / Marner bonuses so they do not carry forward to next year
Leaves 4.5M to sign three more players.

This is why we do not have the room for Panarin.
We are bridging Nylander 100% in my opinion so take 2m off the Nylander as well a player off our roster. And we might be able to make it work.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
Sad to witness Friedman's fall from a pretty legit insider.

This makes no sense btw.
because there are no LEAF INSIDERS anymore ...if it gets leaked its because there is smoke .
these 50 or so media types ,hockey experts that have lived on the maple leaf teet for years ,now how have go elsewhere to get a good scoop.
word is the leafs deal with teams under strict confidence,and I sense most of the new breed of GM ,S will operate the same.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
This is terribly inaccurate. Provide the WOWYS that you're tellimg others to check, because I checked and it doesn't align with your opinion. His play with and without those stars is really good.

For your sake, let's assume he's been this good mainly because he gets to play with Jones/Werenski in Colombus (no stud Fs by the way) and Kane in Chicago (who had by-far career best 106 and 89 pts playing WITH Panarin). He put up 82 points in Colombus and nearly the same in Chciago right? So assuming he plays with Matthews/Nylander or Tavares/Marner, would he not put up 80 points or more? What's the issue here? You're complaining that Panarin is overrated even though he'd put up ~80 points on our team, as I just explained.

The only reason for not wanting Panarin is that it would cost too much and that's a good reason.

Go to naturalstattrik

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad