Sportsnet: Friedman: TOR could take swing for 1 Year of Panarin

Snip Genos

GO LEAFS GO
Jun 14, 2007
Ontario
I can't see that making sense unless we lose a Marner or Nylander and the price isn't too high at the trade deadline but even then not sure he would be the right guy for us. Now, Jenner or Foligno or someone like that might be interesting

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

BM14

Dec 7, 2012
GTA
The draft picks/prospects/young players that we'll have to give up will be more valuable to us down the road when Matthews/Marner/Nylander's extensions kick in
Remember, its 1 year of Panarin who has a predetermined list of places he wants to go as a UFA.
The return won't be whats expected.

Glenn Isildur Healy

Oct 8, 2013
CBC Studios
Remember, its 1 year of Panarin who has a predetermined list of places he wants to go as a UFA.
The return won't be whats expected.

Regardless, you're still giving up prospects and/or draft picks and/or young players (which is more valuable) than a player who is here for 1 year (playing at a position of luxury not need) and guaranteed to leave

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
I think we actually have a good chance at getting him. We are a contending team and we have the cap space for him. We have wingers that we could trade: Kapanen, Johnsson, Leivo, Hyman, Brown, etc. We have draft picks, we have some other descent looking prospects. The one guy I wouldn't really want to trade out of that group is Johnsson.

This could be one of our best chances to win the cup because we have Matthews and Marner for so cheap. Might as well try to take advantage by stacking our team as much as possible this year.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
While in a vacuum it would be a fun add, his cost won’t be cheap - and the Leafs prospect pool isn’t deep enough to make a trade like that

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I think we actually have a good chance at getting him. We are a contending team and we have the cap space for him. We have wingers that we could trade: Kapanen, Johnsson, Leivo, Hyman, Brown, etc. We have draft picks, we have some other descent looking prospects. The one guy I wouldn't really want to trade out of that group is Johnsson.

This could be one of our best chances to win the cup because we have Matthews and Marner for so cheap. Might as well try to take advantage by stacking our team as much as possible this year.

I guess Kapanen + 1st + any prospect not named Liljegren/Dermott might be tempting, but I’d imagine other teams could beat that offer

BM14

Dec 7, 2012
GTA
Regardless, you're still giving up prospects and/or draft picks and/or young players (which is more valuable) than a player who is here for 1 year (playing at a position of luxury not need) and guaranteed to leave
If it increases your odd of winning a championship, you do it.
The position of need doesn't have any viable candidates so why not upgrade in another area to compensate if the value is acceptable?

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
I'm sure Columbus still views themselves as a playoff team (or in the playoff hunt at the least) so any return on a possible trade would likely attempt to reflect that. I understand the logic of kick tires and bolster a strength if it's workable, but I'm not sure the ask would be, especially if it ends up being one (season) and done, as much as I like the team's chances to make noise this season.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Worth a chuckle at how nonsense the forward core would be with this team. But obviously not something likely to happen. Would only make sense for the Leafs as a pure rental and thus picks/prospects and I doubt Columbus wouldn't just keep him for the year in that case.

Still, we're in the middle of summer so some silly speculation is fine. And if upgrades on the blueline aren't easy to swing for...I don't mind the speculation on just continuing to bulk up on the forwards to the point that it just shouldn't matter who is on defense :laugh:.

Reactions: Garthinater

Glenn Isildur Healy

Oct 8, 2013
CBC Studios
If it increases your odd of winning a championship, you do it.
The position of need doesn't have any viable candidates so why not upgrade in another area to compensate if the value is acceptable?

If that's the only factor you look at, then you're making mistakes more times than not

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad