Sportsnet: Friedman: Simmonds Extension Getting Close

Status
Not open for further replies.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Simmonds sucked. When your team doesn't win a round in 17 years you have right to over react

Dude was was trash why even waste a contract spot

You think Tampa is chasing Simmonds ? You think he makes there top 30 ?

No he doesn't. Expect mediocrity and get mediocrity

Simmonds is garbage. He's done in NHL. Save thst contract spot for any European free agent

Dude has 0 goals in last 24 playoff games. Matt Martin outshines him

Luke Schenn has more goals and hits than this garbage. Just sign luke Schenn for league minimum

At least he can play d and still tries to hit

given tampa's cap crunch, if they could get simmonds at league minimum I'm fairly confident they would take him.

I'm also not gonna waste my time going back and forth with someone who I'm convinced doesn't understand jack shit about the business/managment side of hockey based on your previous posts I've seen all year lol.

Reactions: Cobra777

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Surprised people are believe what Friedman said to be honest, I posted an offersheet being made to a certain player and I was informed that Friedman was a puppet for Dubas. Now all of sudden those people don't like the news he is reporting and they are eating it all up!

Anyways, as long as this deal is at 750k its fine, he can be rotated in and out of the lineup and play on the 4th line. The extra 750k we will save from his previous deal could come in handy in targeting other players

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Surprised people are believe what Friedman said to be honest, I posted an offersheet being made to a certain player and I was informed that Friedman was a puppet for Dubas. Now all of sudden those people don't like the news he is reporting and they are eating it all up!

Anyways, as long as this deal is at 750k its fine, he can be rotated in and out of the lineup and play on the 4th line. The extra 750k we will save from his previous deal could come in handy in targeting other players

Hi5

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
LOL.. Simmonds is one of 50 players we can have under contract, calm yourself. You can sign 50 guys. If he doesn't make the team out of training camp so be it. Who cares. Signing Simmonds doesn't mean we can't sign any other guys. You guys literally overract for every thing. Having depth is good. Simmonds played pretty well, Keefe doesn't know how to assemble lines. But Simmonds was pretty effective on Lines 2 and 3. What good is a Joe Thornton, Jason Spezza and Wayne Simmonds line. That might just be the slowest line in the NHL.

Simmonds is most effective playing with guys who have speed. He creates space in the neutral zone and on the forecheck for them. When he was playing his best hockey for the leafs it was with JT and William Nylander. That line was rolling.

Unfortunately, the Leafs don't treat these older guys as one of 50 players.

Thornton was getting top-line minutes when he should have been sitting in the press box.

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
Bit surprised by this move. Didn't think Simmonds brought much or came as advertised. He was mostly invisible and is now a year older. Is this the best we can do for bottom six RW?

The fact that this is getting done so quickly suggests to me it will be closer to last year's cap hit than league minimum. Otherwise Simmonds would likely test the market a bit more, no?

Reactions: egd27

francis246

Nov 16, 2007

Thornton was getting top-line minutes when he should have been sitting in the press box.

that's one isolated example. I don't think they will make that same mistake again next year. A lot of that has to do with the fact that Keefe is a year younger than Thornton. He probably found it too awkward to have that conversation.

Reactions: binop7

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Bit surprised by this move. Didn't think Simmonds brought much or came as advertised. He was mostly invisible and is now a year older. Is this the best we can do for bottom six RW?

The fact that this is getting done so quickly suggests to me it will be closer to last year's cap hit than league minimum. Otherwise Simmonds would likely test the market a bit more, no?

Or it's a similar situation to Spezza. The home town player would value guaranteed contract with his preferred team than risk heading to an uncertain free agency and end up at a random spot.

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
Has to be less than the $1.5 he made this season right? If he didn't get injured then maaaaaybe, but he was not the same after he came back. Largely ineffective.
I'd be okay at $1 mil without looking at any numbers... Hyman is out though I have to imagine.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007

no, it has to do with Simmonds wanting to raise his daughter in Toronto as he said last year. He doesn't want to play anywhere else, he wants to build his family here, it's why he took less money to play here last year too. Otherwise he'd be in the cup final with Montreal right now. Like Spezza I don't think money is really a factor here.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007

Babcock might have benched Thornton...he's not afraid to make tough decisions. (Then again...don't think he ever benched Marleau). Did he ever pull back Marleau's minutes?

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
no, it has to do with Simmonds wanting to raise his daughter in Toronto as he said last year. He doesn't want to play anywhere else, he wants to build his family here, it's why he took less money to play here last year too. Otherwise he'd be in the cup final with Montreal right now. Like Spezza I don't think money is really a factor here.

Hope you're right and I can stomach something at or near league minimum for one year. But my guess is the deal will be north of $1 million.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Babcock might have benched Thornton...he's not afraid to make tough decisions. (Then again...don't think he ever benched Marleau). Did he ever pull back Marleau's minutes?

Marleau never really looked out of place, or "showed" his age. Marleau's only problem is that he wasn't bringing $6m worth of value.

Thornton was a black hole for many of the lines he was on, and was being outplayed by Adam Brooks.

As for the actual topic of the thread, if it's for a penny more than league minimum, I will be disappointed. Simmonds contributed very little offensively, defensively, and from a "grit" / "edge" perspective. Being an "energy guy" is a young man's game, and he's well into the wrong side of 30 with a lot of hard miles on him.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
I wish we still had Babcock if only to continue bullying Marner just because he deserves it.
I Said it from the get go... should have replaced Babs with another old school coach, but maybe a likeable one. I think the team quit on him. Doesn't mean we should've gave the keys to to kids though. Hitchcock for a year or two would've been excellent. He turned Hainsey's career around. The Blues won a cup after him.

Think it's a great idea to preach defensive skills first and foremost and then bring in a more relaxed coach. Ovechkin became a better defensive player with one season of Hunter and won the cup afterwards.

The way Dubas rolled over for Mitch and Auston though...its possible he was tipped that they want to leave and is doing damage control hoping they will stay knowing Auston would only sign a contract that takes him to UFA.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Don't like the potential of Simmonds returning... his style didn't seem to fit in or the system didn't seem to fit his style. Spezza coming back too....

Was hoping to see some changes, specially with the bottom 6.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Marleau never really looked out of place, or "showed" his age. Marleau's only problem is that he wasn't bringing $6m worth of value.

Thornton was a black hole for many of the lines he was on, and was being outplayed by Adam Brooks.

As for the actual topic of the thread, if it's for a penny more than league minimum, I will be disappointed. Simmonds contributed very little offensively, defensively, and from a "grit" / "edge" perspective. Being an "energy guy" is a young man's game, and he's well into the wrong side of 30 with a lot of hard miles on him.
I disagree, for the reasons I previously listed I hated Marleau. I knew he was on the team to be a mentor...and he never showed any grit or desperation to his game. He went through the motions, cool as a cucumber...no cuts, bruises or injuries throughout most of his career and not because of luck. I don't know why Babs liked him so much...but I think it could be the Saskatchewan connection.

Agreed back to Simmonds. I like him more than Marleau...but unless we switch to a more dump and chase style, I don't see him being that effective.

Reactions: vpasla1

Stonehands1990

Apr 2, 2021
Has to be less than the $1.5 he made this season right? If he didn't get injured then maaaaaybe, but he was not the same after he came back. Largely ineffective.
I'd be okay at $1 mil without looking at any numbers... Hyman is out though I have to imagine.
It’ll be 1.125 or less so we can bury the full amount if needed

Reactions: wingman75 and Cor

BrannigansLaw

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
Don't like the potential of Simmonds returning... his style didn't seem to fit in or the system didn't seem to fit his style. Spezza coming back too....

Was hoping to see some changes, specially with the bottom 6.

Yeah because his style was being garbage. Pretty sure that doesn’t work in any lineup.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

Marleau looked pretty out of place in his last year here, even for league minimum. If he wasn't benchable, he was fairly close to it.

He was force fed a lot more minutes than Thornton as well, at least at the end. Thornton was getting 1PP minutes unnecessarily, but at least he wasn't in the top 9 by the end of the year.

In the end, neither guy should have been playing in the playoffs.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille