Sportsnet: Friedman: Simmonds Extension Getting Close

Status
Not open for further replies.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Spezza back, Simmonds coming back, the core 4 coming back, so where is the chance and improvement coming from, by letting Hyman walk and replacing him with a cheaper version?

I’m okay with that. There are better and cheaper options out there with higher offensive production than Hyman.

Reactions: Advanced stats

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
As long as it’s no more than 850,000k I’m okay with this. One thing that is becoming more apparent is that the narrative that players don’t want to play in Toronto is clearly shifting. Guys want to be here, they want to play in Toronto and for Toronto. So I’m okay with signing guys who really want to be here and want to win here.

I’m not sure Simmonds needs to play every night but good internal competition doesn’t hurt.

Reactions: Ciao

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Almost certainly would have to be league minimum and I don't think he should be guaranteed a job.

Not a fit for our bottom 6 IMO, and he needs to earn a job in the top 6. If he can't cut it, he ends up on the waiver wire and is our "tough guy" 13th forward. Based on how he played last year, we'd be doing him a favour.

DavePoulin4PM

2x NHL all star, Selke winner, NHL exec
Nov 6, 2017
As long as it’s no more than 850,000k I’m okay with this. One thing that is becoming more apparent is that the narrative that players don’t want to play in Toronto is clearly shifting. Guys want to be here, they want to play in Toronto and for Toronto. So I’m okay with signing guys who really want to be here and want to win here.

I’m not sure Simmonds needs to play every night but good internal competition doesn’t hurt.

LOL!!! No other team would’ve given Simmonds ANYTHING aside from a PTO. He is a bum. He doesn’t scare anyone. He can’t skate or handle the puck.

He is a washed up SCRUB and shouldn’t be in the league!!

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Hyman has 35 goals in his last 82 regular season games. He makes every single line he is on better. You aren’t replacing what Hyman provides.

yes you are, hyman is no doubt a good player, but f*** me, he is not worth anything over 5 million. Especially given he’s had two major injuries back to back. That’s what it’s going to come down to, he is going to get paid and we can’t afford him. Let him walk because you will regret giving him term. He’s already what? 29? A 5 or 6 year deal would be a disaster

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
Spezza back, Simmonds coming back, the core 4 coming back, so where is the chance and improvement coming from, by letting Hyman walk and replacing him with a cheaper version?

Here's the thing. We don't improve unless Matthews & Marner step up. Shifting around minor pieces isn't going to do anything. I don't think any competent person was really blaming the bottom 6 for the Montreal series.

Last edited:

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
Needs to be cheap, perhaps pay him for up to 3 seasons near $1M expecting that there will be long stretches where he won't be available due to wear and tear.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
LOL!!! No other team would’ve given Simmonds ANYTHING aside from a PTO. He is a bum. He doesn’t scare anyone. He can’t skate or handle the puck.

He is a washed up SCRUB and shouldn’t be in the league!!

montreal would be all over him in a second. He def didn’t play good down the stretch but he’s not a terrible player. That injury def killed him a bit. As we saw with Matthews wrist injuries are deadly.

that being said I don’t think he’s going to be someone we see in the line up every night.

DavePoulin4PM

2x NHL all star, Selke winner, NHL exec
Nov 6, 2017
yes you are, hyman is no doubt a good player, but f*** me, he is not worth anything over 5 million. Especially given he’s had two major injuries back to back. That’s what it’s going to come down to, he is going to get paid and we can’t afford him. Let him walk because you will regret giving him term. He’s already what? 29? A 5 or 6 year deal would be a disaster

Losing Hyman would be a disaster. He is easily worth $5 million a year. I regret signings like Kerfoot.

Reactions: rumman

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Losing Hyman would be a disaster. He is easily worth $5 million a year. I regret signings like Kerfoot.

he really isn’t, he’s a good player but we overrate hyman. With the looks he gets he should be a 30 goal scorer. We are lucky he didn’t score 30 he would have really outpriced himself out of Toronto (even though I think he already has)

Guys from UFA I’d prefer and who may be cheaper:

Michael Bunting (similar with player to hyman but better scoring and is from Scarborough and played for Sue St. Marie)

Jaden Schwartz

Blake Coleman

Barclay Goodrow

Dylan Sikura

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00