Sportsnet: Friedman: Simmonds Extension Getting Close

Status
Not open for further replies.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
given tampa's cap crunch, if they could get simmonds at league minimum I'm fairly confident they would take him.

I'm also not gonna waste my time going back and forth with someone who I'm convinced doesn't understand jack shit about the business/managment side of hockey based on your previous posts I've seen all year lol.

Yes tell me more about how you know so much

Cap crunch doesn't mean you have to bring a garbage hockey player. Go pick up Tobias Rider, Michael Graber or even Travis Boyd again

They'll produce more than garbage Simmonds

You must be one of those hockey fans living of nostalgia

Actually Tampa had a cap crunch. They found a loop hole jack ass and benched their star player idiot

Reactions: egd27

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
no, it has to do with Simmonds wanting to raise his daughter in Toronto as he said last year. He doesn't want to play anywhere else, he wants to build his family here, it's why he took less money to play here last year too. Otherwise he'd be in the cup final with Montreal right now. Like Spezza I don't think money is really a factor here.

Every player from Toronto wants to raise their kids here. Cute. He sucks though

You think he gets paid more than league minimum ?

Perry was waived by the Habs. Simmomds ass would have been AHL in any other team

Dudes trash

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
I disagree, for the reasons I previously listed I hated Marleau. I knew he was on the team to be a mentor...and he never showed any grit or desperation to his game. He went through the motions, cool as a cucumber...no cuts, bruises or injuries throughout most of his career and not because of luck. I don't know why Babs liked him so much...but I think it could be the Saskatchewan connection.

Agreed back to Simmonds. I like him more than Marleau...but unless we switch to a more dump and chase style, I don't see him being that effective.

What does Marleau has to do with Simmonds?

Marleau should be compared more with Joe

Simmonds role was to bring toughness. He got rag dolled by the Canadians

tronoleaf

Jun 8, 2021
It better not be for more than the minimum. He's good for the dressing room, but he's useless on the ice.

2 Slick

Oct 23, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
He was horrible in the playoffs and horrible during the regular season with the exception of a 5-6 game stretch before his injury.

He's useless, might as well re-sign Thornton and show your fans you don't care about winning.

I'd rather a younger player get his minutes, we don't need Simmonds, has no offense of any kind whatsoever, no defense, doesn't fight, he's useless.

Reactions: fahad203

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Sure hope one of those six 6th & 7th rounders is a difference maker.

5th rounder Ovchinnikov and 6th rounder Miettinen would probably go in the 3rd in a redraft.

Last year was pretty good one for the leafs.

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
Not sure I see the point in doing this so soon unless they are getting him at or close to league minimum numbers. He was great at the start and his injury looked to have a huge impact on him. He certainly adds an element this team lacks, but he's a 4th line guy and perhaps an extra at this point. Or at least, should be on a team that is expected to challenge for the cup.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
So many here are underselling the impact of his injury. He was effective before it happened and moved up and down the line. I'm happy if they can get a deal.
Not underselling it. Injuries are real, take a toll and add up as you age. Ask Muzzin.

His body is an old 32 and will most likely break down again.

Reactions: forecheck

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
We have a ton of contract spots, just because a player signs doesn't mean he is going to be in the line up.

Hi there Francis, hope all is well
joe-thornton-2021-38.jpg

that's one isolated example. I don't think they will make that same mistake again next year. A lot of that has to do with the fact that Keefe is a year younger than Thornton. He probably found it too awkward to have that conversation.

Sheldon seems to find a number of conversations "too awkward". If he can't execute simple decisions like sitting Thornton or changing up a failing powerplay, he has no place being an NHL head coach.

Last edited:

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
5th rounder Ovchinnikov and 6th rounder Miettinen would probably go in the 3rd in a redraft.

Last year was pretty good one for the leafs.

Hope you're right, though Leaf drafts always seem to be "good ones" until a couple of years later.

Reactions: TMLAM34

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Last year, the coaching staff appeared unwilling to sit either Thornton or Simmonds at any point — even for R&R purposes in meaningless games down the stretch of the regular season — and that’s something that can’t be the case again in 2021-22 if either is to return.

There was never a natural identify fit on a fourth line that included Simmonds and Spezza, and Simmonds’ ability to keep up in the top-nine wasn’t there to the point where he could play up the lineup for significant stretches of time. He provides a noteworthy net-front presence still on the power play, but on the balance of his 5v5 play, it’s hard to really justify bringing Simmonds back as a full-time regular on a similar $1.5 million contract to last season.

https://mapleleafshotstove.com/2021...s-expected-to-return-as-a-toronto-maple-leaf/

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Hope you're right, though Leaf drafts always seem to be "good ones" until a couple of years later.
Outside of our top picks like Matthews, Rielly, Marner and Nylander our drafting and developing hasn’t been very impressive at all. Hopefully Robertson and Sandin can change that.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
Agreed.

I thought Simmonds could be good if he stayed healthy, but he couldn't. He's just another year older now.

Was a fluke injury getting hit in the wrist with a clearing attempt. Could have happened to Matthews.

BodaciousBeefBazooka

Go Leafs Go
Apr 4, 2013
Toronto
It better not be for more than the minimum. He's good for the dressing room, but he's useless on the ice.
I think the whole ' good for the dressing room' schtick is overplayed. How has that been panning out for the Leafs? There are locker room buffoons who still end up on a stanley cup winning teams

forecheck

May 14, 2007
To slow and one fight every 25 games does not equal toughness..... The guy is done , however he is a name that will fool some as he had a few good seasons and he will come cheap ( minimum salary ) ,so he checks the boxes as the leafs can only shop at the dollar store due to their cap mismanagement.

Reactions: fahad203
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad