Sportsnet: Friedman: Simmonds Extension Getting Close

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Reported that Perry badly wanted to sign with the Leafs, but stick boy decided to go with the broken down waynetrain.

Looks like it's happening again
It is completely irrelevant what the stick boy wanted.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
He was played on PP1 over William Nylander for the majority of the season.

That is severe misuse
I'm a fan of loading up, but if you're splitting units he does make sense as a net front presence with our setup.

For what it's worth, Perry is leading Habs forwards in PP TOI this playoffs. If you're looking at Simmonds for Perry, you're expecting basically the same role that Simmonds played here. Likely less opportunity to play up in the lineup with skating and age (similar to Spezza)

peconcan

Apr 24, 2020
We have enough skill guys in our prospect pool might need to trade for a young guy who could take Simmonds role as the 4th line energy guy

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
We have enough skill guys in our prospect pool might need to trade for a young guy who could take Simmonds role as the 4th line energy guy
Who are these skilled guys in our prospect pool. Can you name them please
Dubas has traded away most of our draft picks so now I guess he starts gutting our prospects to fill the holes he has because of horrible cap allocation

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Dubas has traded away most of our draft picks so now I guess he starts gutting our prospects to fill the holes he has because of horrible cap allocation

He made 12 picks last year.

He traded a bunch this year.

Kind of evens out.

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
Holy over exaggeration. We've had 27 picks the last 3 drafts. The prospect pool is fine. A lot of publications and analysts have us in the top 15 in that regard.

Reactions: peconcan

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
He actually has decent hands but my issue is honestly he wasn't physical enough really. He is not really throwing his weight around making big hits and separating the player from the puck like say a Maroon would. I thought he wasn't really a difference making in the playoffs. Not like say a Barcley Goodrow

Reactions: horner

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
gross. don't want him back. i'd take perry over him.

Can we really stop with these bs projects

I am so done with Dubas

Wayne brings nothing. Absolutely nothing. He's trash. Utter garbage even at league minimum. Just play sabourin at least he'll hit

What a horrible start to off season. Move on man. Just move on Kyle

I'm better of Shanahan dressing up instead

Focus on players that can skate and hit. Sommonds can't do neither

Maybe start drafting players who are not 5'5
Maybe makena trade for a tough SOB

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Yes, MTL may want to resign Perry and he may not hit the market, but perhaps wait a little longer and see how it plays out. I can't imagine Simmonds is in such great demand that Kid Kyle needs to lock him up in the next week or so.

Never mind Perry, who knows who will be available at a good price once FA opens? It makes no sense to sign another old guy this early. Simmonds is a player you buy once you've had a look around the store a little bit to see if there's a better option.

if Simmonds is signing for League Minimum it literally does not matter if we sign him now or later. If he doesn't play well he goes on waivers. People are making such a big deal about this. We have a ton of contract spots, just because a player signs doesn't mean he is going to be in the line up. You can never have too much depth. I rather have a Simmonds on my roster than a Scott Sabourin

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
You're dreaming pal.
9 pts........... that's all he had.

How many fights did he have last year?
Scott Sabourin would be a better option, at least he can skate.

His body can't take the pounding anymore, and playing him over 6 mins a night would be criminal.

Maybe it's just a move to protect other players in the expansion draft.........

Scott Sabourin cannot play at the NHL level, he is actually completely useless. Can't kill penalties, can't play on your PP. Can't cycle the puck. He literally does nothing. He sucked the one game he played for the leafs. Simmonds is miles better than him.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
This borders on criminal and should be a firing offence for Keefe
Can we really stop with these bs projects

I am so done with Dubas

Wayne brings nothing. Absolutely nothing. He's trash. Utter garbage even at league minimum. Just play sabourin at least he'll hit

What a horrible start to off season. Move on man. Just move on Kyle

I'm better of Shanahan dressing up instead

Focus on players that can skate and hit. Sommonds can't do neither

Maybe start drafting players who are not 5'5
Maybe makena trade for a tough SOB
Dubas has never drafted a player who was 5'5

Reactions: fahad203

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
if Simmonds is signing for League Minimum it literally does not matter if we sign him now or later. If he doesn't play well he goes on waivers. People are making such a big deal about this. We have a ton of contract spots, just because a player signs doesn't mean he is going to be in the line up. You can never have too much depth. I rather have a Simmonds on my roster than a Scott Sabourin

Yes I am making a big deal. Hes not even good enough for Marlies

There plenty of players you can sign for league minimum who can still play. See Tobias Reider and others

The idea is to get away from what didn't work. Simmonds didn't work. He was garbage. He's garbage. Just move on

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
He was played on PP1 over William Nylander for the majority of the season.

That is severe misuse

I don't think Simmonds was the issue on the PP.. the issue is the need to have 2 units and feeling the need to actually have a defenseman on the top unit. Simmonds is the perfect net front guy. Just run 5 forwards. Simmonds net front, Tavares Bumper, Marner down low, Nylander strong side point (set up man), Matthews half wall strong side.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
I don't think Simmonds was the issue on the PP.. the issue is the need to have 2 units and feeling the need to actually have a defenseman on the top unit. Simmonds is the perfect net front guy. Just run 5 forwards. Simmonds net front, Tavares Bumper, Marner down low, Nylander strong side point (set up man), Matthews half wall strong side.

We all know coaching sucked. But so did sommonds

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Yes I am making a big deal. Hes not even good enough for Marlies

There plenty of players you can sign for league minimum who can still play. See Tobias Reider and others

The idea is to get away from what didn't work. Simmonds didn't work. He was garbage. He's garbage. Just move on

LOL.. Simmonds is one of 50 players we can have under contract, calm yourself. You can sign 50 guys. If he doesn't make the team out of training camp so be it. Who cares. Signing Simmonds doesn't mean we can't sign any other guys. You guys literally overract for every thing. Having depth is good. Simmonds played pretty well, Keefe doesn't know how to assemble lines. But Simmonds was pretty effective on Lines 2 and 3. What good is a Joe Thornton, Jason Spezza and Wayne Simmonds line. That might just be the slowest line in the NHL.

Simmonds is most effective playing with guys who have speed. He creates space in the neutral zone and on the forecheck for them. When he was playing his best hockey for the leafs it was with JT and William Nylander. That line was rolling.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
LOL.. Simmonds is one of 50 players we can have under contract, calm yourself. You can sign 50 guys. If he doesn't make the team out of training camp so be it. Who cares. Signing Simmonds doesn't mean we can't sign any other guys. You guys literally overract for every thing. Having depth is good. Simmonds played pretty well, Keefe doesn't know how to assemble lines. But Simmonds was pretty effective on Lines 2 and 3. What good is a Joe Thornton, Jason Spezza and Wayne Simmonds line. That might just be the slowest line in the NHL.

Simmonds is most effective playing with guys who have speed. He creates space in the neutral zone and on the forecheck for them. When he was playing his best hockey for the leafs it was with JT and William Nylander. That line was rolling.

Simmonds sucked. When your team doesn't win a round in 17 years you have right to over react

Dude was was trash why even waste a contract spot

You think Tampa is chasing Simmonds ? You think he makes there top 30 ?

No he doesn't. Expect mediocrity and get mediocrity

Simmonds is garbage. He's done in NHL. Save thst contract spot for any European free agent

Dude has 0 goals in last 24 playoff games. Matt Martin outshines him

Luke Schenn has more goals and hits than this garbage. Just sign luke Schenn for league minimum

At least he can play d and still tries to hit

CelticDruid

Oct 23, 2013
Penticton , BC
Scott Sabourin cannot play at the NHL level, he is actually completely useless. Can't kill penalties, can't play on your PP. Can't cycle the puck. He literally does nothing. He sucked the one game he played for the leafs. Simmonds is miles better than him.

For a second there I thought that your introduction was all about Simmonds.
Simmonds skating is so bad that they have to Zamboni the ice after every one of his shifts.

That one game consisted of a grand total of five minutes.

Reactions: fahad203
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad