Free Agents and Trade Thread - Post Deadline edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
And don't you doubt that the same Tyson Barrie that's hoping for 40+ million dollar contract has been made aware of how he's valued at the moment. If that doesn't light a fire nothing will.

Just like how I would hope that the team, after knowing that Dubas was seriously considering moving said top 4 RD defenseman, will have a fire lit under their butts after they were potentially a call away from having an integral piece to their playoff run taken off the roster without a replacement coming in.

Mad hatter

Go Leafs Go
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Acton Ontario
Very few of you (including our G.M.) understand defending or what it takes to win a playoff series. So you watched that playoff series and decided that Barrie was the best fit for this team? That's insanity lol. And to bring him in, Kadri was the piece to subtract. All it takes is watching Tyson Barrie for 30 seconds (literally any shift he has taken in the last 3 years to understand that he was absolutely not a fit or a need. Now we factor in that Dubas knew that he wanted 8x8 as an extension. Should of been fired strictly for this trade.
Well I feel that puck possession is an extremely important part of hockey and that’s what Barrie does, not so well this year though. I thought with Reilly and Barrie on the ice most of the game that we’d have the puck a lot and not have to worry about defending so much. The game has changed into more of a possession game and less of a Smash Mouth game and Dubas is trying to be proactive instead of same old same old. When Burke was here, we had big defenceman that didn’t possess the puck well and we did a lot worse if I remember correctly. I understand how important defending is but if you have the puck you don’t need to defend, it’s that simple. Also Barrie has been a puck possessing, offensive defenceman for many years, not just last year and in the playoffs for an FYI.

Mad hatter

Go Leafs Go
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Acton Ontario
Explain my rose tinted glasses. Explain how Kadri was a bad player for this franchise, a franchise that lacks heart, determination and character. I would love to do business/play poker with you guys lol.
I really liked Kadri, he was probably my favourite player but he cost us two playoff series because he cannot keep his emotions in check unfortunately end it cost him his position job.

Reactions: kb

sniper81

Oct 30, 2009
toronto
Well I feel that puck possession is an extremely important part of hockey and that’s what Barrie does, not so well this year though. I thought with Reilly and Barrie on the ice most of the game that we’d have the puck a lot and not have to worry about defending so much. The game has changed into more of a possession game and less of a Smash Mouth game and Dubas is trying to be proactive instead of same old same old. When Burke was here, we had big defenceman that didn’t possess the puck well and we did a lot worse if I remember correctly. I understand how important defending is but if you have the puck you don’t need to defend, it’s that simple. Also Barrie has been a puck possessing, offensive defenceman for many years, not just last year and in the playoffs for an FYI.
Bad take. Looks at the tops teams in the league and how heavy they are, mixed with skill. You guys look dumb trying to re create the wheel. Tyson Barrie is one of the worst actual defenders in the NHL. Is that what this team needed? Or did it need a defender who can smother, break up plays and be reliable. Tyson Barrie was the worst fit possible. I'm sad that our G.M. doean5 understand the professional game of Hockey. He may learn, but he hasn't yet. Look at Boston, St. Louis, Tampa bay and look at the types of players they have.

Reactions: brhymes19

Mad hatter

Go Leafs Go
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Acton Ontario
Bad take. Looks at the tops teams in the league and how heavy they are, mixed with skill. You guys look dumb trying to re create the wheel. Tyson Barrie is one of the worst actual defenders in the NHL. Is that what this team needed? Or did it need a defender who can smother, break up plays and be reliable. Tyson Barrie was the worst fit possible. I'm sad that our G.M. doean5 understand the professional game of Hockey. He may learn, but he hasn't yet. Look at Boston, St. Louis, Tampa bay and look at the types of players they have.
Pittsburgh has won 2 cups in the last four years with a puck possession game

Reactions: kb

sniper81

Oct 30, 2009
toronto
How much do your arms hurt right now for that outrageous internet flex?
It wasn't a bad deal at the time and isn't fully a bad trade still. We got a legit 3rd line C for 1 million cheaper than Kadri who also put up similar points as Kadri and got a dman who can put up 50 points at only 2.9 mil cap hit or something that low which is pretty damn good. Yeah I miss Kadri and what he provides and wish we had more of it in the lineup, but you can't really say it was a bad trade at the time just because Kerfoot and Barrie aren't exactly playing their best after the trade happened. We still have Kerfoot for another 3 or 4 years at 3.5 million and who knows about Barrie after this season. We lacked puck movers on the right side and that's why he got Barrie in the trade. Wasn't a bad trade but the players haven't really provided everything we thought they'd bring yet.
This deal was horrible at the time, horrible now and will get worse when Barrie walks for nothing. Bad take.

sniper81

Oct 30, 2009
toronto
Pittsburgh has won 2 cups in the last four years with a puck possession game
Also how do they build their rosters, did they have some toughness or just strictly puck possession guys? They are a very tough team to play against. We are the easiest team to play against.

Mad hatter

Go Leafs Go
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Acton Ontario
Puck possession game is what they play though and is what Dubas is trying to build. Again I agree Barrie is not a good defender but he’s good at possessing the puck and moving the puck which is what this team is built to do

Last edited:

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Why don't you explain to everyone how this was a "good trade at the time" and how Tyson Barrie was a fit for the franchise, and Kadri wasn't. And how prime Tyson Barrie Trumps prime Nazem Kadri. I have a very high paying job that I like paying attention to, sorry for hurting your feelings and not quoting you. This is a horrible, horrible deal and you are defending it. Clearly you have never actually watched Tyson Barrie play for a period of time. Or else you would of known how bad this deal is.

haha "i have a high paying job..." wow aren't you a hero.

Explain to everyone? just you, im only talking to you. No one is asking you to reply at work you can do it whenever you want i didnt put a time restriction on you, i get you are probably at work. No one's feelings are hurt calm down i wanted to make sure you werent talking to someone else who i have on ignore maybe.

Here we go:
Tyson barrie is (or was if you want) a #3D we had zero top 4 RHD on our roster, Kadri is a 2C who on our roster would have to be a 3C who also has impulse control issues that has cost us once in the playoffs (the 1st time was stupid but i believe boston were the better team that series anyway).

We traded kadri a 2C after we got a 1C for our 2c slot (JT) in the deal we got a #3 RHD and a 3C. So a top 4 RHD and a 3c for a player that wasn't going to get the opportunity here. That by any f***ing definition is a good trade its very simple. That 3c downgrade had 12 less points the Kadri (until kadri unfortunately got injured) and Barrie had 2 less points.

when this deal was made it was a clear win for the leafs, Barrie hasnt worked out as expected and made the deal look worse thats fine but when the deal was made we got the better player. Prime Barrie scores at the same rate as prime kadri did and Barie is a dman. You'd be hard pressed if you asked anyone before the trade to find someone who was objective who'd say kadri was better.

the only thing about the trade at the time that was a negative is the style of Dman barrie is, yes we didnt need an offensive dman but in a vacuum Barrie>Kadri

sniper81

Oct 30, 2009
toronto
haha "i have a high paying job..." wow aren't you a hero.

Explain to everyone? just you, im only talking to you. No one is asking you to reply at work you can do it whenever you want i didnt put a time restriction on you, i get you are probably at work. No one's feelings are hurt calm down i wanted to make sure you werent talking to someone else who i have on ignore maybe.

Here we go:
Tyson barrie is (or was if you want) a #3D we had zero top 4 RHD on our roster, Kadri is a 2C who on our roster would have to be a 3C who also has impulse control issues that has cost us once in the playoffs (the 1st time was stupid but i believe boston were the better team that series anyway).

We traded kadri a 2C after we got a 1C for our 2c slot (JT) in the deal we got a #3 RHD and a 3C. So a top 4 RHD and a 3c for a player that wasn't going to get the opportunity here. That by any f*cking definition is a good trade its very simple. That 3c downgrade had 12 less points the Kadri (until kadri unfortunately got injured) and Barrie had 2 less points.

when this deal was made it was a clear win for the leafs, Barrie hasnt worked out as expected and made the deal look worse thats fine but when the deal was made we got the better player. Prime Barrie scores at the same rate as prime kadri did and Barie is a dman. You'd be hard pressed if you asked anyone before the trade to find someone who was objective who'd say kadri was better.

the only thing about the trade at the time that was a negative is the style of Dman barrie is, yes we didnt need an offensive dman but in a vacuum Barrie>Kadri
I'm not a hero. I'm a man of the people.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
How much do your arms hurt right now for that outrageous internet flex?

If the team continues to be very up and down do you think something major will go down in the off-season? I'm talking more than Johnsson or Kapanen serious

Also have you heard anything about the Mikheyev and Clifford situations? I think we may keep both (definitely Mikheyev) so are they talking contracts currently?

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
I'm not a hero. I'm a man of the people.

not sure how to edit and add your 2 last posts together? Doesn’t take a high iq to know how to do that.

also you’ve made 12 post in 90 mins then all of a sudden your high paying job means you are too busy? Sounds more like an idiot caught out trying to end a conversation. Probably not a surprise your posts start at 3pm around the same time schools get out is it

Reactions: kb and ronzigato

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
This deal was horrible at the time, horrible now and will get worse when Barrie walks for nothing. Bad take.

We had no players who can move the puck from the backend on the right side of the ice so we got 1 who could at a very low cap hit. We also got a 3rd line C who can put up 40+ points while not playing heavy PP minutes. We got this for giving up a 2nd line C who can put up 50 points and we didn't really take on any salary really since we can't afford to. Idk how you could say that was a bad trade. Problem has been Keefe not playing Muzzin and Barrie together for some reason because of his love for Holl for some reason and Kerfoot playing wing because of injuries. So maybe your take is the bad one here.

Mad hatter

Go Leafs Go
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Acton Ontario
@sniper81 I agree this team does need some better puck battlers and retrievers, also a Muzzin type on the right side would be really nice. I just felt that if Barrie and Muzzin were on one pair, Reilly and whoever on the next pair, we would possess the puck enough where defending wouldn’t be that much of an issue.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
We had no players who can move the puck from the backend on the right side of the ice so we got 1 who could at a very low cap hit. We also got a 3rd line C who can put up 40+ points while not playing heavy PP minutes. We got this for giving up a 2nd line C who can put up 50 points and we didn't really take on any salary really since we can't afford to. Idk how you could say that was a bad trade. Problem has been Keefe not playing Muzzin and Barrie together for some reason because of his love for Holl for some reason and Kerfoot playing wing because of injuries. So maybe your take is the bad one here.

Muzzin-Holl was a pretty good pairing for a while there, but it was definitely a lot better when Rielly and Ceci were around to take some of the defensive pressure off of them.

Dermott is disappointing me the most right now. Hasn't really taken any kind of step forward this year.

Reactions: Mad hatter

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
A successful off-season for me is clearing out Kerfoot & Johnsson for picks and prospects and turning those players into a competent top 4.

Muzzin - Manson (or a RHD of similar defensive quality)
Rielly - Holl
Sandin - Liljegren

I'm not convinced Holl is a top 4 defense-man but I don't really see the other option here. The $ on Holl's contract tells me they're keeping him as a top 4 D until Liljegren is ready and that really does concern me..

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
A successful off-season for me is clearing out Kerfoot & Johnsson for picks and prospects and turning those players into a competent top 4.

Rielly - Holl
Sandin - Liljegren

I'm not convinced Holl is a top 4 defense-man but I don't really see the other option here. The $ on Holl's contract tells me they're keeping him as a top 4 D until Liljegren is ready and that really does concern me..

The money on his contract tells you they look at him like a bottom pairing defenseman, but he may play like a top 4 defenseman until Liljegren takes over (which may not be that long). At best he's a #4 in our lineup, which is not a total stretch for someone like him for a short period of time.

Reactions: Gabriel426

pylon17

Jan 19, 2017

Agreed.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015

Rielly - Holl
Sandin - Liljegren

That’s what I think would happen too with Kerfoot and AJ for a Dman, either through assets or 2 for 1.
Think they should sign a vet for a depth Damn to play with Dermott on the bottom pairing. Continue to cook Sandin and TL in the Marlies.
also sign a more defensive 3C.

Hyman-Matthews-Marner
Soup-JT-Willie
Engvall-3C-Kap
Clifford-Spezza-Malgin.
Goat

Reilly-Manson
Muzzin-Holl
Dermott-Vet Dman
Marincin

Andersen
Campbell

Reactions: I am Canadian

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
The money on his contract tells you they look at him like a bottom pairing defenseman, but he may play like a top 4 defenseman until Liljegren takes over (which may not be that long). At best he's a #4 in our lineup, which is not a total stretch for someone like him for a short period of time.
I think Leafs sign Holl as a bottom pairing Dman and that’s pretty much who he is.
He seems to struggle now bc he is playing top pairing minutes

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
That’s what I think would happen too with Kerfoot and AJ for a Dman, either through assets or 2 for 1.
Think they should sign a vet for a depth Damn to play with Dermott on the bottom pairing. Continue to cook Sandin and TL in the Marlies.
also sign a more defensive 3C.

Hyman-Matthews-Marner
Soup-JT-Willie
Engvall-3C-Kap
Clifford-Spezza-Malgin.
Goat

Reilly-Manson
Muzzin-Holl
Dermott-Vet Dman
Marincin

Andersen
Campbell

I don't agree with the Liljegren/Sandin comment but pretty much that is what i'm hoping for. Ideally we could swap out Holl for a better D as well.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Very few of you (including our G.M.) understand defending or what it takes to win a playoff series. So you watched that playoff series and decided that Barrie was the best fit for this team? That's insanity lol. And to bring him in, Kadri was the piece to subtract. All it takes is watching Tyson Barrie for 30 seconds (literally any shift he has taken in the last 3 years to understand that he was absolutely not a fit or a need. Now we factor in that Dubas knew that he wanted 8x8 as an extension. Should of been fired strictly for this trade.

This.

So much this.

Barrie was never what this team needed and we wasted a prime asset in Kadri, and now to continue the comedy of errors we kept him so we get nothing.

..... and we also gave up our 3rd in that trade as well, so we have no 1st rounder and no 3rd in what is acknowledged as a deeper than usual draft.

Even if we barely get into the playoffs, who are we beating? Tampa? Boston? Carolina? Washington? Pittsburgh? All of those teams were better than us pre-deadline, and they all improved after. What did we do to improve? Malgin? Wow!

I honestly think the best thing that can happen is we miss the playoffs and our no effort darlings can suck on it all summer..... but I think they will be too busy golfing and at the cottage to really feel the full effects....

.... but I’m not bitter. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad