Free Agents and Trade Thread - Post Deadline edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007

No point in moving him then.

This might not be the popular opinion, but I do feel that it would have been worth trading him for a 3rd, then moving that 3rd for DeMelo. IMO our blueline would be more balanced and capable especially with Ceci and Rielly returning.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
This might not be the popular opinion, but I do feel that it would have been worth trading him for a 3rd, then moving that 3rd for DeMelo. IMO our blueline would be more balanced and capable especially with Ceci and Rielly returning.
You don't make a terrible deal just to try and fix a weakness with another deal. Thats like saying I would trade Matthews for a 4th rounder and trade it for Simmonds since it would make up more balanced.
Not calling you out, but thats a bad idea.

Reactions: kb and Fogelhund

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto

DeMelo was traded a full week before the deadline, imagine the outrage if Dubas had taken a 3rd 1 full week before deadline day

Reactions: kb

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
You don't make a terrible deal just to try and fix a weakness with another deal. Thats like saying I would trade Matthews for a 4th rounder and trade it for Simmonds since it would make up more balanced.
Not calling you out, but thats a bad idea.

I don't think it is at all like saying that - your example is hyperbole. By using assets from Barrie we don't actually spend anything, and our defensive play improves as a result. To me, that's better for us.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
DeMelo was traded a full week before the deadline, imagine the outrage if Dubas had taken a 3rd 1 full week before deadline day

Imagine he threw a 3rd at Ottawa, got DeMelo, then traded Barrie for the 3rd back at the TDL. I'd be disappointed we got such a low price for Barrie, but I'd certainly be much happier than I am now.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Imagine he threw a 3rd at Ottawa, got DeMelo, then traded Barrie for the 3rd back at the TDL. I'd be disappointed we got such a low price for Barrie, but I'd certainly be much happier than I am now.

ok but that’s with full hindsight but if he thought he could get more for Barrie I’d imagine he was aiming higher than DeMelo so if it worked DeMelo would have been a wasted asset

Reactions: stickty111

Leaffan1991

Oct 22, 2016
Canada
So out of the free agent class this summer who’s the best ones that would fit this team?
Obviously Pietrangelo(unrealistic)
But would Tanev or Gudas be a good option?

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
So out of the free agent class this summer who’s the best ones that would fit this team?
Obviously Pietrangelo(unrealistic)
But would Tanev or Gudas be a good option?
Tanev hands down, if you want to keep the medical staff and trainers really busy!

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
If Barrie’s offer are that bad. I would be piss if I am Barrie and will play like a man possessed from now on.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
So.... The Tyson Barrie offers were much worse than what the Habs got for Scandella?

For some reason that doesn't surprise me as much as it should because NHL GMs are idiots but wow.
Pretty great work in MTL.
Turned a 4th into a 2nd 3rd and 4th.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
The management team consistently values winning. That’s been clear for 3 years.

On another note, I wish the boards were less cluttered by revisionist rants ignoring the context of the deals from the past off-season.

Am looking forward to the team hopefully taking a look in the mirror, then asserting themselves to prove how good they are.

And then of course the UFA college and Euro seasons.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
If Barrie’s offer are that bad. I would be piss if I am Barrie and will play like a man possessed from now on.

He is what he is, he's going to continue putting up points and struggle defensively like he has over his career

Somebody will pay him, I wouldn't but a 60 point defenseman usually gets plenty of intrest

Mad hatter

Go Leafs Go
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Acton Ontario
The Kadri trade maybe isn’t looking good now but at the time I felt it was a great deal. Barrie was a great offensive D while in Colorado but was asked to change is game by Babcock and that didn’t go well. Since Keefe I feel he’s been much better but he’s not a great defender. Unless he could have got a 1rst and a prospect though weakening our team before a playoff push made no since to me. We have no first round draft pick so we need to make the playoffs I feel and with the soup and Johnsson injuries couldn’t use a forward to improve the D unfortunately.

Reactions: kb and 13MatsSundin

sniper81

Oct 30, 2009
toronto
Imagine Dubas being smart enough to differentiate NHL/AHL/OHL/pond hockey. You legitimately think that Barrie is more valuable to a team than Nazem Kadri is. Scarier, our G.M. thinks like you do.

Mad hatter

Go Leafs Go
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Acton Ontario
Imagine Dubas being smart enough to differentiate NHL/AHL/OHL/pond hockey. You legitimately think that Barrie is more valuable to a team than Nazem Kadri is. Scarier, our G.M. thinks like you do.
At the time of the trade I felt so but it hasn’t worked out that way unfortunately. We needed a RD and he got one a decent young centre as well just both played better there for some reason.

Reactions: kb and Walshy7

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
At the time of the trade I felt so but it hasn’t worked out that way unfortunately. We needed a RD and he got one a decent young centre as well just both played better there for some reason.

also kadri wasn’t performing Colorado the “terrible” kerfoot had 12 less points than him when kadri got injured. The rose tinted glasses when it comes to kadri are pretty funny.

the trade didn’t work out on either end really, but when it was announced it was a great trade for the leafs in terms of value, but Barrie probably wasn’t the right dman to target which is fine to Lou t out in hindsight but a prime Barrie would light it up in this team.

Reactions: kb and The MoNaRcH

sniper81

Oct 30, 2009
toronto
Very few of you (including our G.M.) understand defending or what it takes to win a playoff series. So you watched that playoff series and decided that Barrie was the best fit for this team? That's insanity lol. And to bring him in, Kadri was the piece to subtract. All it takes is watching Tyson Barrie for 30 seconds (literally any shift he has taken in the last 3 years to understand that he was absolutely not a fit or a need. Now we factor in that Dubas knew that he wanted 8x8 as an extension. Should of been fired strictly for this trade.

sniper81

Oct 30, 2009
toronto
also kadri wasn’t performing Colorado the “terrible” kerfoot had 12 less points than him when kadri got injured. The rose tinted glasses when it comes to kadri are pretty funny.

the trade didn’t work out on either end really, but when it was announced it was a great trade for the leafs in terms of value, but Barrie probably wasn’t the right dman to target which is fine to Lou t out in hindsight but a prime Barrie would light it up in this team.
Explain my rose tinted glasses. Explain how Kadri was a bad player for this franchise, a franchise that lacks heart, determination and character. I would love to do business/play poker with you guys lol.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto

I’m sorry but prime kadri and prime Barrie, Barrie is a better player. Barrie was their on their top pair for a while kadri never held out 1c slot. Now Barrie isn’t a typical top pair dman but his scoring was.

Kadri never scored like he did here until he had better players above him, And then we signed JT kadri was going to get even less opportunities here. Value isn’t a vacuum we have 2 far better c’s than him and the one we replaced him with is not scoring much lower ppg considering he gets less offensive opportunities

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Explain my rose tinted glasses. Explain how Kadri was a bad player for this franchise, a franchise that lacks heart, determination and character. I would love to do business/play poker with you guys lol.

“explain how kadri was a bad player” I will go you one better, show me where I said he was a bad player?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad