Free Agents and Trade Thread - Post Deadline edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I wasn't really serious about him, a late 20's UFA 3C brings me out in hives contractually

Unless something appears we may just have to go with Kerfoot again, not ideal but at least he has some use as a top 6 winger as well

I've found him to be fairly useless at wing. I might be in the minority but I just don't like him as a fit on our team.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I've found him to be fairly useless at wing. I might be in the minority but I just don't like him as a fit on our team.

I've got some doubts to but finding the right player at the right cap hit to take that 3C role is challenging, to say the least

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I've got some doubts to but finding the right player at the right cap hit to take that 3C role is challenging, to say the least

I'm a broken record but Faksa or Tierney would be my first choices.

Kerfoot
Bracco
7th SJS 2020

2 assets on top of Kerfoot seems decent.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I wasn't really serious about him, a late 20's UFA 3C brings me out in hives contractually

Unless something appears we may just have to go with Kerfoot again, not ideal but at least he has some use as a top 6 winger as well

Imo id be fine splitting thr role between him and Spezza again.

This team i think meeds MORE guys who can play doen the middle and not less.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Imo id be fine splitting thr role between him and Spezza again.

This team i think meeds MORE guys who can play doen the middle and not less.

Finding a good defensive 3C would do a lot of good for our team makeup but that's a hard thing to acquire with our cap and asset situation

If Dermott could take a top 4 role and Robertson was ready next season we'd have some options though

Reactions: Menzinger

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Where did I say untouchable? I'd like you to quote where I've said he's untouchable at any point in this discussion because I'm fairly sure I've never actually written that

I've said that if he is this player trading him would be a massive mistake since he's exactly what were looking for he just doesn't shoot right

The 23 year old has developed into a player that can take more responsibility and minutes, is that a surprising turn of events for a young developing player? Was he supposed to stagnate forever and never become a top 4 option? Is this not what some development curves look like?

So were risk adverse now? Bringing in Ceci to play with him wasn't a risk? Barrie wasn't a risk? Neither of those trades have worked and I know that currently Dermott is on a shutdown pair against a high QOC in the top 4 and already in house, sure he's a risk but a trade isn't?

I'm getting tired of this mystical RD that's riding in on his white horse to save the day after a decade of not being able to trade for one, my plan is in house and realistic not "in an ideal world"

So he may fail? Like the trade for a top pair RD plan for the last decade? That type of failure or worse you think?
You never said it, I just felt like it was implied by what you were saying.

I would agree with your second statement, the most important part being 'if he stays this way'. That is a big if and even more so if he is asked to play his offside on the top pairing.

We dont know if he developed into this player from now on or if this is a blip. That is what I'm saying, the sample size of his good play in the 4D is too small to bank on him playing top pairing in the future.

Ceci was a calculated risk as management thought he was better than Zaitsev who he was traded for. I would tend to agree. Barrie was a mistake and a perfect example of why it is very important of looking at the context a player thrived in and seeing if your able to reproduce it on your own team. Leafs never were going to be able to put him in that position. Just a bad fit from day 1.

I would say yes, it is too big a risk to expect him to play top pairing right defense next year. Not enough evidence of strong play in the top 4D or the right side yet. I think there is a decent chance the leafs may try it still as the prices may too high for trades and they will want to manage cap which Dermott, Holl and Lily would do on the right side.

What the leafs cant do is pay Dermott like a top4D, that would be a big mistake.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
You never said it, I just felt like it was implied by what you were saying.

I would agree with your second statement, the most important part being 'if he stays this way'. That is a big if and even more so if he is asked to play his offside on the top pairing.

We dont know if he developed into this player from now on or if this is a blip. That is what I'm saying, the sample size of his good play in the 4D is too small to bank on him playing top pairing in the future.

Ceci was a calculated risk as management thought he was better than Zaitsev who he was traded for. I would tend to agree. Barrie was a mistake and a perfect example of why it is very important of looking at the context a player thrived in and seeing if your able to reproduce it on your own team. Leafs never were going to be able to put him in that position. Just a bad fit from day 1.

I would say yes, it is too big a risk to expect him to play top pairing right defense next year. Not enough evidence of strong play in the top 4D or the right side yet. I think there is a decent chance the leafs may try it still as the prices may too high for trades and they will want to manage cap which Dermott, Holl and Lily would do on the right side.

What the leafs cant do is pay Dermott like a top4D, that would be a big mistake.

Rielly can play on the right if Dermott can't settle into it, the pairs with him on the right have worked before

He doesn't have enough of a track record or the points totals to get top 4 money yet, he's a prime 2 year low AAV "show me" candidate

Our options are limited, if we want a good defensive RD that can play on the top pair with Rielly it's going to be expensive and difficult to aquire

Also a lot of the names we've been rumoured to be interested in aren't exactly thrilling either

I'm advocating for Dermott because he's cheap, in house and seems to be taking a step forward in performance and the QOC he can handle

I think we're going to struggle to find better and if we do its going to make eyes water price wise

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
I'm a broken record but Faksa or Tierney would be my first choices.

Kerfoot
Bracco
7th SJS 2020

2 assets on top of Kerfoot seems decent.
I'd do it for Faksa, but he's an RFA this summer so depends what his contract demands are. The guy puts up 30 points a year with heavy D-zone starts. Engvall-Faksa-Kapanen could actually be an awesome shutdown line.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
Julius Nattinen would be a guy to target too. Not sure he can play 3C right away, but we may be able to do Spezza and then have him as the secondary option.

I've been looking at Nattinen's name as a possibility. He's done unreal in the Finnish league this year.

Is he still Anaheim's prospect?

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I'd do it for Faksa, but he's an RFA this summer so depends what his contract demands are. The guy puts up 30 points a year with heavy D-zone starts. Engvall-Faksa-Kapanen could actually be an awesome shutdown line.

I imagine something like 3-4 years at 3-3.5M, so probably what Kerfoot makes.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
How would he be valued within his current organization though?

I doubt he's a nice cheap trade

He's behind Seguin 100%

Hintz and Pavelski could be viewed as ahead of him as viable options for 2C. Dellandrea is an option down the line.

That leaves 3C. Dickinson has emerged as a hell of a player so he could take over the 3C spot potentially if Faksa departed.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I think we're about to see a rise in rumours about NCAA/CHL/KHL/EU free agents. Not much else to do other than talk to those free agents and their agents and many of those players are done with their season now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad