Free Agents and Trade Thread - Post Deadline edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
5mil is not taking one for the team. If he plays at league minimum or around 1.5mil, then that’s taking one for the team and want to prove he can play
The key part of the hypothetical is the term obviously.
I’d imagine that he’d realistically get a 6 year term as a UFA at that aav; so he’d be leaving 25 mil on the table.
Personally, I would. And try to find him a stable partner who’d cover his warts.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
I’d imagine that he’d realistically get a 6 year term as a UFA at that aav; so he’d be leaving 25 mil on the table.
Personally, I would. And try to find him a stable partner who’d cover his warts.

Where do we get the money for that? Barrie at 5 million is already too much.... now we're going to pay a big price to being in somebody to make him look good?

Which one of Rielly, Muzzin, and Sandin is gone to make room for this guy who'll make Barrie look like a hockey player?

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Here’s a rhetorical question:
Tyson Barrie offers to agree to a one-year deal for reasonable money. Say, 5 mil. Says he wants to be a part of the solution, willing to take one for his team. Kicker is: no-movement clause.
Who’s in?

Doubtful. A NMC on a one year wouldn't be a big deal as I wouldn't expect the team to be sellers at the trade deadline. Don't know if the team could afford another 5M d-man for next season though.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Unless he shows he can at least defend for the rest of the season, I doubt any teams will offer 6yrs for him.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
I don't what know any of this has to do with the specific deal being discussed.

Fact is, Marleau had to go and there was a significant amount of money and dead cap hit attached to him. To assume there was some team out there willing to do that for less than a top 10 protected 1st rounder is just not realistic IMO.

To your points, I agree that both Lou and Dubas both made good and bad moves, but I disagree Marleau trade being with one of Dubas' bad ones.

I don't care about the blame game. Past tense. I'm looking forward, not backward. We need to win & make the playoffs. Then we need to win big and go deep, Cup even. We spend $95 million, more than anyone else. Our top guys got their big $ dollar contracts. Dubas has his coach. There are no excuses. Just win.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Looking around on Capfriendly, doing off-seasons for a bunch of teams and NYI have a bit of a logjam at RD.

Boychuk (can't move him I don't think), Dobson (too young to move), Pulock (PP QB) and Mayfield are at RD. I don't think it is smart to have any of them sit.

We have a bunch of LD.

Would something like Dermott for Mayfield make sense in the off-season?

Reactions: The Podium

GQS

Aug 2, 2005
I think Leafs sign Holl as a bottom pairing Dman and that’s pretty much who he is.

He seems to struggle now bc he is playing top pairing minutes

I think Holl can grow into being at least a solid 2nd pairing guy who can play 20-25 mins a night. Right now he's playing tough minutes against other teams top players and it doesn't matter if you're a Norris trophy winner, you're going to get burned sooner or later and relatively speaking I haven't seen him make too many glaring mistakes per game.

At this point if we're talking defensively I'd trust him more than Rielly in important situations and also maybe if Babcock didn't staple him to the press box for the past two seasons, he'd have more games and experience under his belt and perhaps be even better by now. I mean only 13 games the past two seasons because Babcock refused to play him is inexcusable.

Also to people who kept wanting the Leafs to trade for Larsson or Nurse:

Nurse and Larsson are bad

Nurse and Larsson were a f*cking disaster today.

Nurse was terrible. Also Larsson is so slow out there. We need Klef back.

Nurse was very disappointing.... I can't believe how often he makes mistakes with zero IQ

Larsson just unable to pull himself out of his funk. Just not aware on the ice and honestly not looking like he is putting in the effort.

Since Klefbom went down or he got his new deal he has been absolute shit. His brain farts have gone up exponentially and he is costing us points. I'm a Nurse fan and this is one of my few anti Nurse rants.

If we're looking for guys who can play good defense, I don't know why we're looking at either of these two.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I think Holl can grow into being at least a solid 2nd pairing guy who can play 20-25 mins a night. Right now he's playing tough minutes against other teams top players and it doesn't matter if you're a Norris trophy winner, you're going to get burned sooner or later and relatively speaking I haven't seen him make too many glaring mistakes per game.

At this point if we're talking defensively I'd trust him more than Rielly in important situations and also maybe if Babcock didn't staple him to the press box for the past two seasons, he'd have more games and experience under his belt and perhaps be even better by now. I mean only 13 games the past two seasons because Babcock refused to play him is inexcusable.

Also to people who kept wanting the Leafs to trade for Larsson or Nurse:

If we're looking for guys who can play good defense, I don't know why we're looking at either of these two.
To me Holl is a #4 or 5 Dman. If his partner is Muzzin, that’s good but if his partner is another #4 Dman, that could be trouble.
What I like about Holl is the fact that he is making mistakes but he is also learning at the same time. I know he is 26 or 27 but he is a rookie in the NHL just like Sandin and TL due his number of games.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
LeBrun Notebook: Wrapping up what did and didn’t happen on deadline day – The Athletic

Sometimes it’s the moves you don’t make. The Maple Leafs had a quiet trade deadline and that’s just fine.

You can’t punt on the season even though there’s nobody in their right mind who truly believes Toronto measures up to Tampa Bay or Boston in a seven-game series.

On the other hand, the Jekyll-and-Hyde Leafs should grab that No. 3 spot in the Atlantic Division ahead of the slumping Panthers (our Dom Luszczyszyn has Toronto projected to finish 3-4 points ahead of Florida) and you can’t bail on a season when the playoffs are still possible.

This is why the Leafs listening on Barrie was always going to be a long-shot proposition as far as actually pulling the trigger. Because the Leafs’ front office was only going to make that deal if they also ended the day with a replacement for Barrie on the blue line either in the direct trade itself or from another trade.

Which is to say if Vancouver had its first-round pick in June, which the Canucks traded away in a solid trade for J.T. Miller last June, then I think the Leafs would have done Barrie to Vancouver for a first-round pick and Troy Stecher. No question in my mind the Leafs make that deal. Although I think the Canucks would have thought that price was too high. Stetcher straight up for Barrie? Sure, if you’re Vancouver.

In the end, I think Vegas, Calgary and Vancouver inquired on Barrie, but the fit wasn’t there.

Reactions: Fogelhund

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Looking around on Capfriendly, doing off-seasons for a bunch of teams and NYI have a bit of a logjam at RD.

Boychuk (can't move him I don't think), Dobson (too young to move), Pulock (PP QB) and Mayfield are at RD. I don't think it is smart to have any of them sit.

We have a bunch of LD.

Would something like Dermott for Mayfield make sense in the off-season?

We have Holl, we have Liljegren, Marincin plays the right side, and Lindgren is decent on the Marlies..... We really do have 2RD and 3RD covered... what we need, is a guy to partner with Rielly, not just another RD. I don't see Mayfield being that guy, YMMV....

Reactions: Walshy7 and SprDaVE

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
I wonder if we go after Khoderenko to do some prospect backfill at C. Young for a UFA (true prospect senior) solid two way game, producing this year without Hirose, could give us a shot a more NHL ready waiver exempt depth option than the likes of SDA etc.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
There have been stories going around, that Florida is looking to cut $10 million from their expenditures next season. You never know if this is accurate or not, but I think it's worth inquiring about. Any of Ekblad, Stralman and Weegar are RD, who would improve our situation. Obviously the first two have played first pairing, and it wouldn't shock me, if Weegar wouldn't be a decent parter for Rielly. I think it's worth the call.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I wonder if we go after Khoderenko to do some prospect backfill at C. Young for a UFA (true prospect senior) solid two way game, producing this year without Hirose, could give us a shot a more NHL ready waiver exempt depth option than the likes of SDA etc.

The Marlies are going to have a lot of holes with only SDA really graduating, maybe Kral and/or Stotts. Kassila is signed for next season. Brooks is a RFA but will likely be a depth forward on the Leafs like Timashov was. The whole Marlies team overall has a lot of pending free agents.

So I agree that someone like Khoderenko would be a good fit. There are a lot of prospect free agents that would be good for the Marlies, so I'm hoping we're aggressive on that front. Sokolov, Limoges, Dunne, Walker, Chaffee, Dornbach, Halloran etc.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
There have been stories going around, that Florida is looking to cut $10 million from their expenditures next season. You never know if this is accurate or not, but I think it's worth inquiring about. Any of Ekblad, Stralman and Weegar are RD, who would improve our situation. Obviously the first two have played first pairing, and it wouldn't shock me, if Weegar wouldn't be a decent parter for Rielly. I think it's worth the call.

I'm still a big fan of Ekblad personally. I would love to be able to get him but I assume he's untouchable with Tallon at the helm.

Weegar would also be someone I'm sure the Leafs would love. He's eligible for arbitration, so maybe they get stupid and have to let him walk? He's definitely super underrated.

Last edited:

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
The Marlies are going to have a lot of holes with only SDA really graduating, maybe Kral and/or Stotts. Kassila is signed for next season. Brooks is a RFA but will likely be a depth forward on the Leafs like Timashov was. The whole Marlies team overall has a lot of pending free agents.

So I agree that someone like Khoderenko would be a good fit. There are a lot of prospect free agents that would be good for the Marlies, so I'm hoping we're aggressive on that front. Sokolov, Limoges, Dunne, Walker, Chaffee, Dornbach, Halloran etc.

Biro is the other NCAA forward I want. Not getting a lot of talk but he reminds me of Moore.

Reactions: SprDaVE

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
We have Holl, we have Liljegren, Marincin plays the right side, and Lindgren is decent on the Marlies..... We really do have 2RD and 3RD covered... what we need, is a guy to partner with Rielly, not just another RD. I don't see Mayfield being that guy, YMMV....
I think he might be. Mayfield is sneaky good.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
I think he might be. Mayfield is sneaky good.

doesnt he have skating issues, or am i think of a different NYI RH dman? (maybe im thinking of Pulock or possibly evena dman who isnt on their dcore anymore) i just remember some posters here pining over NYI RHD and a bunch of other poster pointing out their skating is shit. Skating is the single most important ability for our system imo

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I feel like my gut feeling of trading for Forbort would have felt really good right about now if Muzzin is out...

Reactions: ACC1224

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
We can still make trades though, can't we? They wouldn't be eligible for the playoffs, but might help us get there....

Leaffan1991

Oct 22, 2016
Canada
Mayfield would be great in offseason.Low cap hit very good defensively.
Lowry would also be a much better 3rd C for us. More of a shutdown line would be something this team needs

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I feel like my gut feeling of trading for Forbort would have felt really good right about now if Muzzin is out...

I think we may have dodged a bullet with Muzzin. I assume if it was a bad break, Keefe would’ve known last night.

Muzz probably needs x-ray today. Hopefully a minor fracture that he can play through, or only needs a week or so off

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
I think we may have dodged a bullet with Muzzin. I assume if it was a bad break, Keefe would’ve known last night.

Muzz probably needs x-ray today. Hopefully a minor fracture that he can play through, or only needs a week or so off

whats the plan in sunny Florida today cor?

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Right now, drinking coffee and trying to recover from a hangover :laugh:

Hopefully catch the Jays spring training game later today, but supposed to get some rain

oh id love to be in florida right now (or anywhere warm), but my wife didnt want to fly with a 5 week old baby pfft. it toughens them up i say

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad