Free Agents and Trade Thread - Offseason on Hold Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Hard to find guys that can play in your top 6 that can play a physical game and score.

You're not wrong, but it's cheaper in the long run to overpay for a long-term solution that fits than it is to keep renting 3rd liners every deadline. The picks for Plekanec, Boyle, and Clifford would make up over half of a viable package for a mid-20s powerforward that can score 40-50 points.

Reactions: Auston Escobar

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
You're not wrong, but it's cheaper in the long run to overpay for a long-term solution that fits than it is to keep renting 3rd liners every deadline. The picks for Plekanec, Boyle, and Clifford would make up over half of a viable package for a mid-20s powerforward that can score 40-50 points.

Who could we target

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
For nylander I was thinking

pesce, leafs 1 and prospect

klingberg would also work.
If it is Marner, you can get Pesce, Leafs 1st And prospect plus another 6.5mil to sign another UFA Dman or FWD.
Let’s say they sign another FWD-Tyler Toffelli, big, fast and can score, kind of like a Mark Stone Lite. Or to further solidify the D corps with Tanev.

Reactions: stickty111

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
Who could we target

I think it has to be Lawson Crouse.
6'4, 220. Was top 10 in hits this year, was 2nd last year.
LW, power forward who has some solid stats for a 'could breakout' type guy. 15 goals - 25 points in 66 games. 31 point point pace.
2 more years at 1.533.

If your looking for a younger guy who is a pure 'maybe', Max Comtois. 6'2, 190. 31 point pace (same as Crouse). Very tenacious guy, lots of hits. Not as big a fighter.
A better skater than Crouse. If he had played a full season (spent time in AHL) he would be around top 10-15 in hits for forwards.
1 more year on ELC.

Doesn't exactly hit the build from the chat, but I think the perfect guy for the Leafs 3rd line to replace a AJ (assuming hes traded) would be a Marcus Foligno.
6'3, great defensively and throws a ton of hits.
He was having a pretty solid year (on pace for 35 point pace) on a offensively anemic team. I wouldnt mind seeing him on a line with Marner and Tavres if they were playing against a rougher team.

For Crouse and Comtois, they both come from teams who have a real hard time scoring which we have in spades.

Reactions: The Podium

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
LW, power forward who has some solid stats for a 'could breakout' type guy. 15 goals - 25 points in 66 games. 31 point point pace.
2 more years at 1.533.

If your looking for a younger guy who is a pure 'maybe', Max Comtois. 6'2, 190. 31 point pace (same as Crouse). Very tenacious guy, lots of hits. Not as big a fighter.
A better skater than Crouse. If he had played a full season (spent time in AHL) he would be around top 10-15 in hits for forwards.
1 more year on ELC.

Doesn't exactly hit the build from the chat, but I think the perfect guy for the Leafs 3rd line to replace a AJ (assuming hes traded) would be a Marcus Foligno.
He was having a pretty solid year (on pace for 35 point pace) on a offensively anemic team. I wouldnt mind seeing him on a line with Marner and Tavres if they were playing against a rougher team.

For Crouse and Comtois, they both come from teams who have a real hard time scoring which we have in spades.
Marcus Foligno is a dream as I mentioned about him a few months back and someone here said there is a good chance he will be Captain for the Wild.
Crouse is interesting, I think if he plays with someone like Marner and JT, and he is willing to crash the net and bang, his stats will go up. If the Leafs can get him on a three years contract for around 2.5mil, he is a prime target.

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
Marcus Foligno is a dream as I mentioned about him a few months back and someone here said there is a good chance he will be Captain for the Wild.
Crouse is interesting, I think if he plays with someone like Marner and JT, and he is willing to crash the net and bang, his stats will go up. If the Leafs can get him on a three years contract for around 2.5mil, he is a prime target.

Crouse has 2 more years at 1.53 I think. Having another winger under 2m would be huge.
Even if he tops out at 20-20 guy, with his size, hitting frequency, and snarl id be happy as a clam

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I wonder what the cost would be for Comtois.

one thing to factor in is that we have Hyman and Mikheyev on the top two lines already, with Marner and Nylander on the right. That shouldn’t really change IMO.

Then it comes down to the third line. Kappy should still be there. So could Comtois/Crouse play on the left as a cheaper alternative to Johnsson? Sure

Clifford is a very responsible player. He’s not just grit. Paying him 1.5M to play on the 4th line might not be great, but if he’s on that third line for us, it makes more sense. Engvall-Kerfoot-Kapanen did very well when they were played together. Korshkov is a guy that needs to get a shot. He generally plays RW, but I think he’s played LW at times.

So we have options internally.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Dmytro Timashov's representatives say Red Wing not signing with Latvian team

Representatives for Detroit Red Wings forward Dmytro Timashov denied a report in Russia's Sport-Express that Timashov is close to signing with Latvia's Dinamo Riga of the Kontinental Hockey League.

Timashov, who was claimed on waivers from the Toronto Maple Leafs on Feb. 24, and went scoreless in five games with the Red Wings, is one of Detroit's 12 restricted free agents.

The 23-year-old Timashov made $694,444 in the final year of his contract this year.

Dinamo Riga, which has missed the playoffs for six straight years, won only 17 of 62 games this year, the same amount of wins as the last-place Red Wings (17 wins in 71 games).

Sport-Express is a Russian daily sports newspaper printed in 31 cities with daily circulation of more than 700,000.

Reactions: Magic Man

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
2 more years at 1.533.

1 more year on ELC.

These are also the types of undervalued assets that Dubas likes.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
There was a TSN article a while ago with Tochett saying Hall was open to staying in Arizona. Hall with zero interest in a 1 year deal which makes sense with his injury history.

Trades

edit.svg

TOR

1. Harley, Thomas
  2. Klingberg, John ($2,125,000 retained)
  3. Robertson, Jason
  4. 2020 1st round pick (DAL)
DAL

1. Marner, Mitchell
edit.svg

TOR

1. Zacha, Pavel
  2. 2021 2nd round pick (NYI)
  3. 2022 1st round pick (NJD)
NJD

1. Johnsson, Andreas
  2. Dermott, Travis
  3. Kerfoot, Alexander

ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES
q2.svg
BONUSESCAP SPACE
22$81,500,000$81,140,533$0$0$359,467
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Delete Signed PlayerBuyoutAdd to Trade
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
Hall, Taylor
$4,000,000
LW, C
UFA
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Matthews, Auston
$11,634,000
C
UFA - 4
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Kapanen, Kasperi
$3,200,000
RW
RFA - 2
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Hyman, Zach
$2,250,000
LW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Tavares, John
$11,000,000
C
NMC
UFA - 5
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Nylander, William
$6,962,366
RW, LW
UFA - 4
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Engvall, Pierre
$1,250,000
LW, RW
RFA - 2
new_jersey_devils.svg

Zacha, Pavel
$2,250,000
C
RFA - 2
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Mikheyev, Ilya
$1,500,000
LW, RW
RFA
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Spezza, Jason
$750,000
C, RW
UFA
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Gauthier, Frédérik
$750,000
C
RFA
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Barabanov, Alexander
$925,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Clifford, Kyle
$1,250,000
LW
UFA
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Rielly, Morgan
$5,000,000
D
M-NTC
UFA - 2
Pietrangelo, Alex
$9,000,000
D
UFA
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Andersen, Frederik
$5,000,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 1
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Muzzin, Jake
$5,625,000
D
NMC
UFA - 4
dallas_stars.svg

Klingberg, John
$2,125,000
D
UFA - 2
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Campbell, Jack
$1,650,000
G
UFA - 2
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Sandin, Rasmus
$894,167
D
RFA - 2
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Holl, Justin
$2,000,000
D
M-NTC
UFA - 3
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Lehtonen, Mikko
$925,000
D
UFA - 1
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Last edited:

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
These are also the types of undervalued assets that Dubas likes.

Why do you think they are undervalued assets? Chayka, for instance, recently said that Crouse has cemented himself as a core piece for the organization going forward. Saying that guys like him take a bit longer to develop but are rare and essential. Good luck on trading for him.

Reactions: Magic Man

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I'm not sure if i'm way off, but Taylor Hall $4m? Surely he's going to demand double that.

If Taylor Hall wants more money, he'll be able to get more money. I'm going by previous discussions in this thread, where he's being quoted that the money isn't the most important thing to him, but he'd like a chance of winning. Reality is, outside of his Hart season, he's averaged 49 points a season, for 5 of the last 6 seasons... mostly due to injuries that happen regularly. Is he going to get $8 mil... I don't know, surely he could get more than $4. Career earnings of nearly $45 million, I have no idea how well he's saved or invested, but he should have $15-20 mil in the bank by now... maybe it isn't about the money. Maybe you give him a little more, and try and sign Pietranglo for a little less.

In the end, these scenarios aren't reality, but just adding to the discussion, as to how to make these ideas work. @WTFMAN99 talked about both Pietrangelo, and Hall.... I put it together and made it work under the cap, plus gave us a good long-term 3C solution with a lower cap, Klingberg as a second pairing RHD, and added Nick Robertson's brother Jason (6'2" 200 LW who put up 47 points in 50 games as AHL rookie)Jason Robertson at eliteprospects.com , Thomas Harley 6'2" LD Thomas Harley at eliteprospects.com, two first round picks, and a second...

All fantasy, but I think it's a great well balanced roster, with more futures than we have now. Managed to sign Clifford too... but we could pass on that, and use that money for Hall/Pietrangelo, and run with a 21 man roster.... flexibility for changes.

By the way, the Dallas trade was originally proposed by Dallas fans, on the trade board.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kurtz

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Why do you think they are undervalued assets? Chayka, for instance, recently said that Crouse has cemented himself as a core piece for the organization going forward. Saying that guys like him take a bit longer to develop but are rare and essential. Good luck on trading for him.

I meant guys with limited offensive output on teams that really arent producing.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
I meant guys with limited offensive output on teams that really arent producing.

Maybe some of the older guys, but not the younger ones. Take someone like Comtois. Yes, he has only played 39 games for Anaheim over 2 seasons and has been up and down from the minors. Might seem like Anaheim is not big on him, but they are. He has played a lot more games than Kapanen at the same age. Yes, Anaheim needs scoring, but they are not competing right now and it is a lot easier to obtain small guys who can score than young developing power forwards.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Crouse has 2 more years at 1.53 I think. Having another winger under 2m would be huge.
Even if he tops out at 20-20 guy, with his size, hitting frequency, and snarl id be happy as a clam
That’s even better

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Trades

edit.svg

TOR

1. Harley, Thomas
  2. Klingberg, John ($2,125,000 retained)
  3. Robertson, Jason
  4. 2020 1st round pick (DAL)
DAL

1. Marner, Mitchell
edit.svg

TOR

1. Zacha, Pavel
  2. 2021 2nd round pick (NYI)
  3. 2022 1st round pick (NJD)
NJD

1. Johnsson, Andreas
  2. Dermott, Travis
  3. Kerfoot, Alexander

ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES
q2.svg
BONUSESCAP SPACE
22$81,500,000$81,140,533$0$0$359,467
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Delete Signed PlayerBuyoutAdd to Trade
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
Hall, Taylor
$4,000,000
LW, C
UFA
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Matthews, Auston
$11,634,000
C
UFA - 4
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Kapanen, Kasperi
$3,200,000
RW
RFA - 2
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Hyman, Zach
$2,250,000
LW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Tavares, John
$11,000,000
C
NMC
UFA - 5
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Nylander, William
$6,962,366
RW, LW
UFA - 4
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Engvall, Pierre
$1,250,000
LW, RW
RFA - 2
new_jersey_devils.svg

Zacha, Pavel
$2,250,000
C
RFA - 2
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Mikheyev, Ilya
$1,500,000
LW, RW
RFA
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Spezza, Jason
$750,000
C, RW
UFA
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Gauthier, Frédérik
$750,000
C
RFA
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Barabanov, Alexander
$925,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Clifford, Kyle
$1,250,000
LW
UFA
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Rielly, Morgan
$5,000,000
D
M-NTC
UFA - 2
Pietrangelo, Alex
$9,000,000
D
UFA
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Andersen, Frederik
$5,000,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 1
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Muzzin, Jake
$5,625,000
D
NMC
UFA - 4
dallas_stars.svg

Klingberg, John
$2,125,000
D
UFA - 2
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Campbell, Jack
$1,650,000
G
UFA - 2
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Sandin, Rasmus
$894,167
D
RFA - 2
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Holl, Justin
$2,000,000
D
M-NTC
UFA - 3
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Lehtonen, Mikko
$925,000
D
UFA - 1
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Hall would get more and Marner wouldn't get that return in a trade.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Hall would get more and Marner wouldn't get that return in a trade.

Maybe, maybe not. There is room in there to sign Hall to $6, and Pietrangelo at $8... as discussed with flexibility.

Whether Marner would get that, or not... I don't know... it was proposed by Dallas fans, and several agreed to it. Even if you take out one of the prospects, or picks, it's still a pretty good premise, if you can also sign Hall and Pietrangelo.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Maybe, maybe not. There is room in there to sign Hall to $6, and Pietrangelo at $8... as discussed with flexibility.

Whether Marner would get that, or not... I don't know... it was proposed by Dallas fans, and several agreed to it. Even if you take out one of the prospects, or picks, it's still a pretty good premise, if you can also sign Hall and Pietrangelo.

It's HFBoards, most fans of fan bases don't know a thing :)

Hall is getting 7-9M depending on where he wants to play.

Pietrangelo has already been offered 8 by St.Louis, maybe even 8.25M (OEL contract) but he wants 9M which is why he hasn't been signed yet.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Maple Leafs Mailbag: Why we like Toronto’s Cup chances better now - Sportsnet.ca

Rielly & Nylander for Seth Jones and Josh Anderson? is discussed... personally, I'm not a fan of the trade.

I'd probably agree with you regarding that discussed trade, particularly from the contract perspective. Firstly, Anderson would need a new contract, and one mainly consisting of UFA years. After that, Jones has the same amount of term left on his deal as Rielly does and already accounts for a bit more against the cap. RHD aside, would Jones really be any easier than Rielly for the Leafs to re-up when that time comes?

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Maple Leafs Mailbag: Why we like Toronto’s Cup chances better now - Sportsnet.ca

Rielly & Nylander for Seth Jones and Josh Anderson? is discussed... personally, I'm not a fan of the trade.

I’ve long wondered about using Rielly to get the RD. Not as an ideal path mind you, but with Muzzin, Sandin, Dermott, Lehtonen, among others, our left side is far more capable to play beside a strong right side of, for example, Jones, Holl and Liljegren, than our right side is to play beside Rielly, Muzzin and one of Sandin, Lehtonen or Dermott.

As for this trade, I see it as a no. Rielly + Nylander for Jones is a significant overpayment, and Anderson is nothing more than a buy low option, and doesn’t bring strong value to the trade.

Ive long wondered about the possibility of a Marner to Columbus deal, given they were interested in signing him apparently, but I doubt they’d go Jones, and Werenski isn’t what we need, as a base.

Unless there was something where Marner went to Columbus, Werenski to STL and Parayko to TOR?

Reactions: Menzinger

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Something's clearly wrong with Josh Anderson that possibly won't come back. So no way.

I would however consider Rielly and Kapanen for Seth Jones and whatever else to throw in the trade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad