Free Agents and Trade Thread - Offseason on Hold Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChazzMichaelMichaels

Jul 10, 2014
Brings up an interesting scenario.

If we somehow got #1, do we just draft Lafreniere and have an even more insane forward core?

Do we simply trade down to say #3, in order to draft Drysdale and get other pick/prospect/player as well?

Or do we keep Laffy and trade say, Marner, for a d-man

Definitely draft Laf and take advantage of that ELC. I think drafting him would mean keeping Marner/Nylander even more likely cause it gives you quality depth without having to move them which would be the whole idea of moving one of them. Also gives you another quality body so you can move a Johnsson/Kapanen, etc for defensive help and not feel any loss up front.

After that ELC though who the heck knows what would happen.

Reactions: Cor

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Can we think about Winning the Cup. The odds is probably better for the Leafs to win the Cup than getting 1st overall

1. It’s not mutually exclusive. We can both think about the playoffs in the playoff theory thread and uh, speculate about moves in the trade and free agency speculation thread lol

2. The odds are pretty even. Extremely low. Before the pause we were about 4.5% chance at winning the cup. In the presser yesterday, they outlined that the 8 teams eliminated from the play-in round have about 3.5% of one of the team positions winning the lottery.

So not as different as we’d like to think.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
1. It’s not mutually exclusive. We can both think about the playoffs in the playoff theory thread and uh, speculate about moves in the trade and free agency speculation thread lol

2. The odds are pretty even. Extremely low. Before the pause we were about 4.5% chance at winning the cup. In the presser yesterday, they outlined that the 8 teams eliminated from the play-in round have about 3.5% of one of the team positions winning the lottery.

So not as different as we’d like to think.
But one option the Leafs get full control of their destiny while the other is pretty much luck.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
But one option the Leafs get full control of their destiny while the other is pretty much luck.

One could argue you need plenty of luck to win the cup.

No one is wanting to lose to Columbus. In fact, as I said in the series thread, there should be no reason to lose the series. Can’t blame not having home ice. Can’t blame the refs getting influenced by fans, etc.

This is all fun speculation in a what if situation. I’m sorry that is apparently an issue

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
o

If we somehow got #1, do we just draft Lafreniere and have an even more insane forward core?

Do we simply trade down to say #3, in order to draft Drysdale and get other pick/prospect/player as well?

Wonder what kind of package any team could get for moving down from 1-3/4 for Drysdale (my top 3 are AL, QB and Stutzle)

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
o
Wonder what kind of package any team could get for moving down from 1-3/4 for Drysdale (my top 3 are AL, QB and Stutzle)

My guess is that you'd get more moving Marner for a RHD that is capable now, and keeping 1st overall for Laf, then you would moving the 1st overall.

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
My guess is that you'd get more moving Marner for a RHD that is capable now, and keeping 1st overall for Laf, then you would moving the 1st overall.
For sure, but you also loose Marner in that scenario.
So is RHD + Laf worth more than Marner+Drysdale+ whatever you get moving down the 2 or 3 spots.

Last time Leafs moved UP in the top 10, they went from 7 to 5 and they paid a 2nd and a 3rd. (Scheen and Wilson).

The Islanders than flipped #7 for #9 and got an additional 2nd.

Using that as the price, is going from 1 to 3, nd than 3 to 5 worth adding two 2nds and a 3rd?

Leafs could potentially still add Drysdale depending on how people rank Lafreniere, Byfield, Raymond, Stutzle, Rosi, Drysdale.

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
Going to be hard for the Leafs to improve their defence if next year is a flat cap. If thats the case though, I think two of Johnsson/Kapanen/Mikeheyev/Dermott will have to go... with that being said I think the team looks similar to this:

Hyman-Matthews-Marner
Barabanov-Tavares-Nylander
Robertson-Kerfoot-Kapanen
Engvall-Gauthier-Spezza

Rielly-Demelo
Muzzin-Holl
Lehtonen-Dermott

Andersen-Campbell

Extra:
Rosen/Marincin

Reactions: SHANNYPLAN

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
One could argue you need plenty of luck to win the cup.

No one is wanting to lose to Columbus. In fact, as I said in the series thread, there should be no reason to lose the series. Can’t blame not having home ice. Can’t blame the refs getting influenced by fans, etc.

This is all fun speculation in a what if situation. I’m sorry that is apparently an issue
Dude, I am not being serious at all.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
For sure, but you also loose Marner in that scenario.
So is RHD + Laf worth more than Marner+Drysdale+ whatever you get moving down the 2 or 3 spots.

Last time Leafs moved UP in the top 10, they went from 7 to 5 and they paid a 2nd and a 3rd. (Scheen and Wilson).

The Islanders than flipped #7 for #9 and got an additional 2nd.

Using that as the price, is going from 1 to 3, nd than 3 to 5 worth adding two 2nds and a 3rd?

Leafs could potentially still add Drysdale depending on how people rank Lafreniere, Byfield, Raymond, Stutzle, Rosi, Drysdale.

For one thing... that RHD, and Laf step into your lineup right away, and are likely both very productive... that has value to a win now team. Also, it opens up a great deal of cap, so you probably have room to sign a Pietrangelo, that you wouldn't without moving Marner. Drysdale might become a fine RHD, but it's going to take a few years in all probability.... In a complete fantasy world, I keep #1, trade Marner to Dallas, and end up with the following roster. I think it ends up being a pretty solid roster... move players around the lines if you don't like this setup.

Sign Pietrangelo @ $9 mil
Trade Marner for Klingberg, Robertson, Harley, 1st... (Proposed by Dallas fans) Maybe we wouldn't get that much... so drop Robertson, it's not like we'd have a shortage of LW anyway...
Trade Johnsson, Dermott, Kerfoot, Dallas #1 pick for Zacha, 1st (Phoenix), 2021 2nd (Islanders)
Sign Spezza ($750k), Goat ($750k), Clifford ($1.25), Mikheyev ($2)

Lafreniere - Matthews - Nylander
Mikheyev - Tavares - Hyman
Barbanov - Zacha - Kapanen
Clifford - Spezza - Engvall - Goat - Korshkov

Rielly Pietrangelo
Muzzin Klingberg
Sandin Holl
Lehtonen

So the NJ (Phoenix) pick is slated at #10.... 2020 NHL Mock Draft | 2020 NHL Draft | NHL Draft Says we get Cole Perfetti....

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
For one thing... that RHD, and Laf step into your lineup right away, and are likely both very productive... that has value to a win now team. Also, it opens up a great deal of cap, so you probably have room to sign a Pietrangelo, that you wouldn't without moving Marner. Drysdale might become a fine RHD, but it's going to take a few years in all probability.... In a complete fantasy world, I keep #1, trade Marner to Dallas, and end up with the following roster. I think it ends up being a pretty solid roster... move players around the lines if you don't like this setup.

Sign Pietrangelo @ $9 mil
Trade Marner for Klingberg, Robertson, Harley, 1st... (Proposed by Dallas fans) Maybe we wouldn't get that much... so drop Robertson, it's not like we'd have a shortage of LW anyway...
Trade Johnsson, Dermott, Kerfoot, Dallas #1 pick for Zacha, 1st (Phoenix), 2021 2nd (Islanders)
Sign Spezza ($750k), Goat ($750k), Clifford ($1.25), Mikheyev ($2)

Lafreniere - Matthews - Nylander
Mikheyev - Tavares - Hyman
Barbanov - Zacha - Kapanen
Clifford - Spezza - Engvall - Goat - Korshkov

Rielly Pietrangelo
Muzzin Klingberg
Sandin Holl
Lehtonen

So the NJ (Phoenix) pick is slated at #10.... 2020 NHL Mock Draft | 2020 NHL Draft | NHL Draft Says we get Cole Perfetti....
“Pretty solid roster” well you have four top pairing defenseman and three 1st overall picks so I would hope.

Management won’t move Marner, he’s too ingratiated in the city and they seem to view him on a different level than Nylander.

If you win the lottery, I’d draft Lafreniere 1OA and trade Nylander for a 1-2D like Ekblad. No other moves necessary.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
“Pretty solid roster” well you have four top pairing defenseman and three 1st overall picks so I would hope.

Management won’t move Marner, he’s too ingratiated in the city and they seem to view him on a different level than Nylander.

If you win the lottery, I’d draft Lafreniere 1OA and trade Nylander for a 1-2D like Ekblad. No other moves necessary.

Management said publicly that they wouldn't move Nylander. That's never been said about Marner.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia

Draft Lafreniere and trade Marner/Nylander/Tavares for defense. Lafreniere will be the best bang-for-your-buck player in the league over the course of his contract. And our LW is shit even if we could use a RD more.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Management said publicly that they wouldn't move Nylander. That's never been said about Marner.

The thing too is that if they think the guy taken at 1st overall will be worth 9-11 mil in 3 years post ELC, they couldnt keep 4 players making that much money. One of the 3 current 10+ mil guys would need to go to make longer term room.

Hypothetically speaking

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
The thing too is that if they think the guy taken at 1st overall will be worth 9-11 mil in 3 years post ELC, they couldnt keep 4 players making that much money. One of the 3 current 10+ mil guys would need to go to make longer term room.

Hypothetically speaking

not really.
Tavares has 5 years left.
If we did a 2 year bridge they could take JT money.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006

Nylander said that. Dubas Said “I’m not in the business of trading skill”. And clarified that one of willy concerns was he would sign just to be traded.

Willy could easily be traded

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
He was a 27th overall pick and more was expected from him. Some have written him off.

So to reclaim something, means to take something that others may not decide has the value it once did and therefore it is available.

A project is the principle of having a plan for something in order to improve or develop something.

I thank you for the definition of reclaim, unnecessary as it was :), my question was directed towards the age of 22. I can accept that he hasn't met expectations, but to writing him off - not suggesting you are - seems a tad hasty to me. I suppose I'm just haggling over the use of the word 'reclamation'. I've got to get out more often.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

Hypothetically speaking

and if he was worth 9-11 mil in current cap space value, and someone needed to be moved, then we'd get good value from such a trade.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
If Leafs end up with 1st overall pick. I would call LA and ask for 50% retention on Doughty, their 1st for next year(top 10 protected) and our 3rd round pick for this year back.
Pretty much adding a true #1 Dman for 5.5mil with the expense of AL.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
If Leafs end up with 1st overall pick. I would call LA and ask for 50% retention on Doughty, their 1st for next year(top 10 protected) and our 3rd round pick for this year back.
Pretty much adding a true #1 Dman for 5.5mil with the expense of AL.
2003 Was the last time when the 1st overall pick was traded, so we know that it's something which rarely happens these days. The question is Lafreniere worth giving up the 1st pick? I know that he's not in the same category the way Auston Matthews was in 2016 and maybe he turns out to be not as good like Nail Yakupov.

Personally speaking I would be shocked if Toronto got the 1st pick in 2020 and that can only happen if they lose the play in series against Columbus. Plus since their pick is top 10 protected the only way they keep it is if they won the 1st, 2nd or 3rd pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad