Free Agents and Trade Thread - Offseason on Hold Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I'll throw something out there since we're bored AF

If Clifford is gonna come in at more than 1M....

Do we hate the idea of simply bringing back Matt Martin for 700k? He can play physical, he can fight. Martin is gone. He's liked by most of the guys who've stayed.

NYI unlikely to bring him back with Ross Johnston taking his job. I don't see much better options out there for this type of player. Clifford, Rinaldo and Martin fit the mold.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

Do we hate the idea of simply bringing back Matt Martin for 700k? He can play physical, he can fight. Martin is gone. He's liked by most of the guys who've stayed.

NYI unlikely to bring him back with Ross Johnston taking his job. I don't see much better options out there for this type of player. Clifford, Rinaldo and Martin fit the mold.

Rinaldo sucks. He's not NHL quality at all.

Martin is worse than other guys we have. I do not think we can really justify using Martin over a guy like Korshkov, who is a lot more skilled but still provides a physical element, and I think Spezza takes the 13th role that Martin could have possibly filled here.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

Martin is worse than other guys we have. I do not think we can really justify using Martin over a guy like Korshkov, who is a lot more skilled but still provides a physical element, and I think Spezza takes the 13th role that Martin could have possibly filled here.

Only difference would be that 225k difference in cap which can get surprisingly hard to fit depending on what you want to do with the roster.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

I'll throw out something really out there: what if we got Martin and Clifford to both agree on a one year league minimum for the 4th line, but also sweet talked a couple of guys like Hall and Pietrangelo to come for a one year cup hunt a la Selanne and Kariya in Colorado in 2003?

Reactions: Warden of the North

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I'll throw out something really out there: what if we got Martin and Clifford to both agree on a one year league minimum for the 4th line, but also sweet talked a couple of guys like Hall and Pietrangelo to come for a one year cup hunt a la Selanne and Kariya in Colorado in 2003?

There was a TSN article a while ago with Tochett saying Hall was open to staying in Arizona. Hall with zero interest in a 1 year deal which makes sense with his injury history.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
There was a TSN article a while ago with Tochett saying Hall was open to staying in Arizona. Hall with zero interest in a 1 year deal which makes sense with his injury history.

I read it and it doesn’t nearly make it a slam dunk at all. He did say

1.) stability was important
2.) chance to win Over the next 5-6 is important
3.) Money isn’t the big issue.

Tocchet and hall both said that.

Generally it wouldn’t make sense and I didn’t consider hall.....
But.
1.) How many teams have a better chance to win over the next 5-6 years.
Tampa? Maaybe Dallas? Colorado? Sure.

How many teams of those have cap?

2.) IFFF hall would take a lower hit... we could trade nylander for a cheaper D.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
And the much more important piece, Campbell...

Point is, as I'm sure you understood, that we replaced Moore with Clifford in the lineup. As I'm sure you'd agree, that was not done to improve our skill level but rather out toughness.

Reactions: biotk

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005

I'd love to bring Martin back at that amount. I think he'd add more to the team than say Malgin.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

I suspect management likes Cliffords game (ie everything other than hitting and fighting) better than Martins

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
I suspect management likes Cliffords game (ie everything other than hitting and fighting) better than Martins

I think we have room for both. Especially if we need to jettison some salary in the form of Kerfoot/Mango to bring in a RHD.

Also, it's not like our 3rd and 4th lines have been any good this season (with the exception of Spezza). We have lots of bodies down there we wouldn't really miss.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Point is, as I'm sure you understood, that we replaced Moore with Clifford in the lineup. As I'm sure you'd agree, that was not done to improve our skill level but rather out toughness.
I'm not sure why you think Clifford is less skilled than Moore. Physicality is one of many aspects of Clifford, that I'm sure was targeted.

However, that is not the main reason for the trade, it was not the sole reason that he was brought in, it did not reflect a change in philosophy, and Clifford is not going to be the difference-maker in terms of whether we win in the playoffs or not.

Dion TheFluff

Jun 22, 2015

I'd be down! just keep him as the 13th and play him in games against more physically imposing teams.

Reactions: Auston Escobar

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Only difference would be that 225k difference in cap which can get surprisingly hard to fit depending on what you want to do with the roster.

I sincerely doubt 225k is going to be an issue when the big money guys he has to sign are Dermott and Mikheyev. Neither of them are going to get a huge sum. He also has to trade a guy like Johnsson or Kerfoot for a good price, but once again that should not be hard given their contracts, age and abilities.

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario

Might not be going to the KHL after all, or atleast not Chelyabinsk.

I'd happily have him back. Nice depth player/AHL scorer.

UPDATE: his instagram bio reads:

Stockholm - ...

So no to Toronto and Chelyaninsk perhaps.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
If you're actually serious about making the team more physical, why are we talking about 4th liners? Don't bleed assets and cap year by year just so you can play Clifford 12 minutes a night, bite the bullet and get someone who can play LW with Matthews or Tavares.

Reactions: The Podium

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015

Martin also can't win fights anymore. Can't remember a fight he outright won in Toronto. Clifford is actually feared by most players in the league and can handle super heavyweights like Oleksiak with ease.

I wouldn't be opposed to Martin, but only if he comes in < 1mill and Clifford prices himself out.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I read it and it doesn’t nearly make it a slam dunk at all. He did say

1.) stability was important
2.) chance to win Over the next 5-6 is important
3.) Money isn’t the big issue.

Tocchet and hall both said that.

Generally it wouldn’t make sense and I didn’t consider hall.....
But.
1.) How many teams have a better chance to win over the next 5-6 years.
Tampa? Maaybe Dallas? Colorado? Sure.

How many teams of those have cap?

2.) IFFF hall would take a lower hit... we could trade nylander for a cheaper D.
In this scenario, the guy getting traded is Marner as his cap hit is bigger.
Even if Hall signs a one year deal of 1mil. Trading Marner away free up close to 11 mil to sign or trade a top pairing Dman(assuming Pietra take a little discount) and another top 4 dman or a top pairing Dman(using Pietra) and a mid 6 winger.
While the cap hit of Willie will get a 2-3 Dman and a bottom 6 winger.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
In this scenario, the guy getting traded is Marner as his cap hit is bigger.
Even if Hall signs a one year deal of 1mil. Trading Marner away free up close to 11 mil to sign or trade a top pairing Dman(assuming Pietra take a little discount) and another top 4 dman or a top pairing Dman(using Pietra) and a mid 6 winger.
While the cap hit of Willie will get a 2-3 Dman and a bottom 6 winger.

For nylander I was thinking

pesce, leafs 1 and prospect

klingberg would also work.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
The team did not get worse the last 2 years, in fact 2018-2019 was significantly better than 2017-2018 to anyone willing to pay attention

Remember in the spring and summer of 2018 when all the Leafs' fans on here were saying that this team was not a 105 point team, but actually a team that was significantly worse than a 100 point team? No? Because this is all just self-serving nonsense. The team has gotten significantly worse. They fall apart. They lack passion. They melt like ice cream on a 37C day.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Remember in the spring and summer of 2018 when all the Leafs' fans on here were saying that this team was not a 105 point team, but actually a team that was significantly worse than a 100 point team? No? Because this is all just self-serving nonsense. The team has gotten significantly worse. They fall apart. They lack passion. They melt like ice cream on a 37C day.

Not through the rose coloured glasses but a large majority of the main boards were quick to point it out in addition to our unsustainable health

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
Not through the rose coloured glasses but a large majority of the main boards were quick to point it out in addition to our unsustainable health

So you are saying that unlike on here, a large majority of the main boards were right. I am sure that a large majority of the main boards would also say that this Leafs team has become worse and is super soft.

If you take the Leafs regulation time record for the last 3 seasons and assume that they would win half of the games that were tied at the end of regulation they would have had:

2018: 103 pts
2019: 101 pts
2020: 95 pts (adjusted to a 82 game season)

They have gotten much worse.

Last edited:

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
So you are saying that unlike on here, a large majority of the main boards were right. I am sure that a large majority of the main boards would also say that this Leafs team has become worse and is super soft.

Its give and take. The main board has its trolls and anti leaf group. Here we have our homers and anti leaf group.

But despite what you are saying, I’ve always believed the 2018-19 team were better than the year prior.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
If you're actually serious about making the team more physical, why are we talking about 4th liners? Don't bleed assets and cap year by year just so you can play Clifford 12 minutes a night, bite the bullet and get someone who can play LW with Matthews or Tavares.

Hard to find guys that can play in your top 6 that can play a physical game and score.

Reactions: Auston Escobar
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad