Free Agents and Trade Thread - Offseason on Hold Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Something's clearly wrong with Josh Anderson that possibly won't come back. So no way.

I would however consider Rielly and Kapanen for Seth Jones and whatever else to throw in the trade.

Josh Anderson reminds me so much of David Clarkson.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
I’ve long wondered about using Rielly to get the RD

I'm of two minds about Rielly.

On one side, he's a 26 year old home grown all-star, just putting it together defensively, and could arguably be captain of the team.

On the other, with a big year from either/both of Sandin/Dermott we're set up very nicely on the left side, and it's not a huge leap to see an expansion splash that sees him return home to the west coast for a kick ass package built around a slightly cheaper more defensive leaning guy. The 2021 equivalent of Nate Schmitd+ 15th overall +

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
How about something like...
Lawson Crouse + Ilya Lyubushkin for Andreas Johnsson + Travis Dermott?

Leafs save 1.85m on Forward and get 3 years younger, and the two D men are both RFA's with Dermott being 3 years younger. Dermott has higher high end potential, Lyubushkin has good underlying numbers and will be CHEAP as he plays a more shutdown role. It would hurt to loose Dermott, but if we arent willing to move him to the right side, is he worth keeping as a 3LHD when we also have Sandin, Muzzin, Reilly.

Leafs D looks like..
Reilly - ??
Muzzin - Holl
Lehtonen/Sandin - Lyubushkin

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
As much as I like Crouse, I think some of you are over-rating him a bit.
Overall, he is not a better player than AJ, his cap hit is cheaper but AJ is on a good contract where he can easily outperform as long as he is not injured .
When it comes to intangibles, beside being 6'3 and plays the crash and bang style, he got nothing over AJ. AJ is a much better shooter, puck carrier and skater.
If AJ is not a Leafs, pretty sure if the team traded AJ for Crouse, it is a clear win for the Yokes.

We either over-rated our prospects by a mile or under-rated our players, esp those who actually proved they are solid players.
AJ was injured last season and seemed to not fit in anywhere in the top three lines with the Leafs, but that doesn't mean he sucks.
He is very capable of scoring 20 goals with 20 assists without any PP time on a 3.3mil contract. That's pretty valuable around the League.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Yeah.i would be fine if they could add Crouse for cheap, but i wouldnt pencil him in as a 40 point guy, even if he played on the tip 2 liness. We'd be lucky if he was a 30-35 point guy - hes always had stone hands.

even in juniors he got those goal totals being the garbage man on the PP, which he wouldn't get on the aleafs

Reactions: Gabriel426

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I also dont get the obsession with Anderson - hes not as skilled or even as physical as folks think. He gets talked about like hes this true power forward, instead of being a top 9 winger who was in the right place a d right time to pad those pont totals for a couple seasons.

Id take him for free as a reclamation project, but his trade value is about negative after that dismal last season

Edit:typi

toronto money leafs
Sep 29, 2017
Paris

On one side, he's a 26 year old home grown all-star, just putting it together defensively, and could arguably be captain of the team.

On the other, with a big year from either/both of Sandin/Dermott we're set up very nicely on the left side, and it's not a huge leap to see an expansion splash that sees him return home to the west coast for a kick ass package built around a slightly cheaper more defensive leaning guy. The 2021 equivalent of Nate Schmitd+ 15th overall +
put down the meth

Reactions: LeafChief

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Yeah.i would be fine if they could add Crouse for cheap, but i wouldnt pencil him in as a 40 point guy, even if he played on the tip 2 liness. We'd be lucky if he was a 30-35 point guy - hes always had stone hands.

even in juniors he got those goal totals being the garbage man on the PP, which he wouldn't get on the aleafs
Last season he put up 27 goals so I definitely dont think he has negative value even though he had a poor season this year. Jackets in general started the season horribly but Anderson never got out of that funk

GBLeaf

Feb 13, 2014
England, GB.
What about Brett Howden as a bit of a reclamation project?

C, 22yrs old, 6'2 194lbs. In his two NHL seasons just over 48% on face-offs, so something to work on there.

Would come in quite cheap, and with a lack of depth at C in the org, someone who could have a bit of a breakout.

Reactions: Saint Blue

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
I don't think the leafs will make a big trade/signing unless they get bounced in round 1. Flat clap has really made things difficult and I think they will go into next season largely the same with maybe a vet PKer on the 3rd pairing

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
I also dont get the obsession with Anderson - hes not as skilled or even as physical as folks think. He gets talked about like hes this true power forward, instead of being a top 9 winger who was in the right place a d right time to pad those pont totals for a couple seasons.

Id take him for free as a reclamation project, but his trade value is about negative after that dismal last season

He'd be a player I'd view as a FA signing, not one who'd I view as a trade target. Potential, ya, but he has not 'knocked it out of the park'. Give me his best and I'm intrigued, give me his normal and I'm less excited.

Reactions: Menzinger

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
What about Brett Howden as a bit of a reclamation project?

C, 22yrs old, 6'2 194lbs. In his two NHL seasons just over 48% on face-offs, so something to work on there.

Would come in quite cheap, and with a lack of depth at C in the org, someone who could have a bit of a breakout.

Sorry, by no means am I attacking your target player, but how the heck can a 22 year old be considered a reclamation project?

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON

For me, the attraction would be to get a player that plays different than a majority of players that we currently have on the roster + coming through the system.

Guys like Marner, Kerfoot, Malgin, Nylander, Robertson, Abruzzese, etc. are all smaller skilled guys. And pairing them with Anderson would make life easier. He's got enough skill to play in the top 6 if needed & wouldn't look out of place.

In the past, I was suggesting to get Boone Jenner instead of Anderson, but because of Anderson's known availability, it makes it a more likely target to get.

The other thing with Anderson is you're not looking to get him for his goal scoring. In fact, I wouldn't care if he put up 20 points for the Leafs. You're looking to get him in that Hyman role where you know exactly what he brings to the table night in and night out.

The type of way the Blue Jackets play is more physical & East/West. My guess is they'd be targetting Korshkov, Rasanen, etc.

GBLeaf

Feb 13, 2014
England, GB.
Sorry, by no means am I attacking your target player, but how the heck can a 22 year old be considered a reclamation project?

He was a 27th overall pick and more was expected from him. Some have written him off.

So to reclaim something, means to take something that others may not decide has the value it once did and therefore it is available.

A project is the principle of having a plan for something in order to improve or develop something.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

Would be hilarious if we somehow lost to Columbus and then won the draft lottery and got our pick back

As a Leaf fan I would rather beat Columbus. I don’t find the thought of losing to them that hilarious

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
For me, the attraction would be to get a player that plays different than a majority of players that we currently have on the roster + coming through the system.

Guys like Marner, Kerfoot, Malgin, Nylander, Robertson, Abruzzese, etc. are all smaller skilled guys. And pairing them with Anderson would make life easier. He's got enough skill to play in the top 6 if needed & wouldn't look out of place.

In the past, I was suggesting to get Boone Jenner instead of Anderson, but because of Anderson's known availability, it makes it a more likely target to get.

The other thing with Anderson is you're not looking to get him for his goal scoring. In fact, I wouldn't care if he put up 20 points for the Leafs. You're looking to get him in that Hyman role where you know exactly what he brings to the table night in and night out.

The type of way the Blue Jackets play is more physical & East/West. My guess is they'd be targetting Korshkov, Rasanen, etc.

Id be interested in taking him but wouldnt pay more than a 4th round pick or equivalent prospect

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

I'd be very reticent about trading Rielly, it looks ok in theory but I'd be very concerned about how the team will perform without him

I thought the team looked lost when he got injured this season, he seems to be a leader in the room and on the ice, removing that and creating a vacuum within the leadership group would be a genuine possibility imo

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
If it meant we’d turn around and won the lottery, it’d be pretty funny.

The goal is always to win.

Not that serious bud

If it were to happen, people would call it rigged!
Although Lafreniere/Stutzle would give our LW depth a nice kick in the pants or Drysdale could be a god send on the right side.
Nothing against Byfield of course

Stutzle/Lafrenier - Matthews - Marner or AJ -Byfield-Kapanen as a 3rd line C being groomed by Tavares/Matthews ? Yeeeesh the forward core would be next level.

At the same time, Drysdale could finally give the Leafs a top pair RHD.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
If it were to happen, people would call it rigged!
Although Lafreniere/Stutzle would give our LW depth a nice kick in the pants or Drysdale could be a god send on the right side.
Nothing against Byfield of course

Stutzle/Lafrenier - Matthews - Marner or AJ -Byfield-Kapanen as a 3rd line C being groomed by Tavares/Matthews ? Yeeeesh the forward core would be next level.

At the same time, Drysdale could finally give the Leafs a top pair RHD.

Brings up an interesting scenario.

If we somehow got #1, do we just draft Lafreniere and have an even more insane forward core?

Do we simply trade down to say #3, in order to draft Drysdale and get other pick/prospect/player as well?

Or do we keep Laffy and trade say, Marner, for a d-man

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

If we somehow got #1, do we just draft Lafreniere and have an even more insane forward core?

Do we simply trade down to say #3, in order to draft Drysdale and get other pick/prospect/player as well?

Screw it, just pick Lafreniere and try to steam roll teams with wave after wave of offensive difference makers, both he and Robertson would be on ECL's which really helps our cap situation and we'd be trading some 3rd liners to get them on the team anyway

I don't think the defensive unit is that bad, Andersen and injuries really hurt us this year and we were still middle of the pack statistically in a lot of metrics

Reactions: David MORO and kb

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015

Can we think about Winning the Cup. The odds is probably better for the Leafs to win the Cup than getting 1st overall

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario

Would be hilarious if we somehow lost to Columbus and then won the draft lottery and got our pick back
Unless Kyle Dubas makes some agreement with Don Waddell because that can happen for teams who traded conditional draft picks, I like to see Toronto defeat Columbus. Besides the obvious reason of officially making the playoffs in 2020, it means Toronto can keep their 2021 1st round pick. Remember how their 2020 1st round pick is top 10 conditional so unless they happen to win the 1st, 2nd or 3rd pick, it's the only way they will still have it. I don't want to have a situation going into next season without their 2021 1st round pick not under any trade conditions. It would be like when Brian Burke traded their 1st round pick in 2010 and the Bruins ended up with the 2nd overall pick that year and their 2011 1st round pick which ended up being 9th overall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad