Free Agents and Trade Thread - Coronavirus Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Agent is Darren Ferris - Best season 27 goals 20 assists 47 points, physical presence.

Tom Wilson - 6 years, $5,166,666 after a career best of 14 goals, 21 assists - 35 points.

Other than this season, Anderson has scored more goals than Wilson had, for three years straight... (at the time of contract signing)

He would easily get an offer sheet of $4.2 - $4.4 million if negotiations with Columbus don't go well... and with Ferris, you know that's a probability... that's the floor here... I mean, some team will want what he brings, and it will just cost them a Second round pick as compensation.
Why do you keep pointing out Ferris?
Every Agent tries to get their Client the best deal possible.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Why do you keep pointing out Ferris?
Every Agent tries to get their Client the best deal possible.

D93Upe4XoAAO_Y7

D93UBl_XsAAx67r

D93T-6kXUAEl7oe

D93UATnXUAADh-F

Sure, but Ferris has a long history of holding out, threatening to hold out, or threatening to go overseas. He also has a history of seeking out RFA offersheets. It's relevant here.

Reactions: Menzinger

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
D93Upe4XoAAO_Y7

D93UBl_XsAAx67r

D93T-6kXUAEl7oe

D93UATnXUAADh-F

Sure, but Ferris has a long history of holding out, threatening to hold out, or threatening to go overseas. He also has a history of seeking out RFA offersheets. It's relevant here.
Just a different style.
How many have actually held out vs other agents?
How many have signed offer sheets vs other agents?
I'm sure there are other examples of Agents leveraging playing over seas.
How many of Ferris' players have gone over seas vs other agents?

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Just a different style.

Yes, it's a different style, far more aggressive, and he's done a good job for his clients.

Yes, the noise around this sounds acrimonious. Countdown to TradeCentre: Keep an eye on Columbus Blue Jackets F Josh Anderson? - TSN.ca

Reactions: ACC1224

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Personally, I don’t think the Cap is going down as most teams will be over. Don’t think it will stay the same either.
I think next year will be an exception or even an introduction to a soft cap, like teams in the black can spend over but need to pay luxury tax.
How do they change the rules or conditions of a contract between the players and the BoG that is currently in place? I guess it fits into the category of "anything is possible". But, I'd have to wonder if it would get the support of the both the majority of team owners and the NHLPA. Then there's the aspect of how long it would take to modify the existing CBA assuming there is the will to do it in the first place. They would need to working on this now you'd think.

I'd think keeping the cap at the same level next season as it is now is the pragmatic, middle ground solution. In a way, nothing drastic would have to be done, and there's no big negative consequences for anyone ...... imho.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Just a different style.

Well no player ends up going overseas due to a contract dispute. I do not remember a case of that happening except Mark Giordano like 12 years ago.

All I can say is that Ferris has negotiated for 8 major clients right now: Taylor Hall, Mitch Marner, Josh Anderson, Andreas Athanasiou, Brendan Perlini, Zach Bogosian, Matt Nieto and Sam Bennett. Of those, all except Hall and Nieto went into September or Training Camp before they were resolved, with at least three of those threatening to go to Europe publicly. In all cases except Hall and Marner, they settled on below value prove-it bridge deals and so far Bogosian is the only one who has been able to follow up with his play enough to earn a decent extension, and the rest are TBD who, as it stands, look like they are going to need to take more prove-it deals or change from Ferris' strategy if they want to have NHL jobs going forward.

We'll see how it works out for guys like Mete, Broberg, Zadina, Frost and Studnicka going forward.

Nylander's agent, Lewis Gross, has done somewhat of a similar thing. Krug, Gaudreau and Nylander, arguably his three top clients, all played hard ball. However he has a lot lower percentage than Ferris, as he has a number of clients, including a couple higher end ones in Dumoulin and Saad, where he had no issues at all.

Kurt Overhardt has done it a few times as well, but that seems to be more at the urging of his clients. He has a ton of clients who signed some nice deals with their teams. Trouba, Turris and Johansen did not like their teams, but once they went somewhere they liked, they signed fair deals.

Ultimately, Ferris' strategy works if he has clients who are worth doing it. Right now, he only has two that fit in that category. He has made Marner, Hall and Bogosian a decent amount of money doing it that way (although literally any NHL agent would have made those three a decent amount of money no matter what), but he has also cost AA, Anderson, Nieto, Bennett and Perlini a fair amount of money as well. So it's a double-edged sword that has hurt him and his clients more than it has helped.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Ferris' clients negotiations always seem to take place too much in public.

I prefer thr dirty laundry stuff all be kept behind closed doors

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
How do they change the rules or conditions of a contract between the players and the BoG that is currently in place? I guess it fits into the category of "anything is possible". But, I'd have to wonder if it would get the support of the both the majority of team owners and the NHLPA. Then there's the aspect of how long it would take to modify the existing CBA assuming there is the will to do it in the first place. They would need to working on this now you'd think.

I'd think keeping the cap at the same level next season as it is now is the pragmatic, middle ground solution. In a way, nothing drastic would have to be done, and there's no big negative consequences for anyone ...... imho.

owners want to keep the same but I doubt the players want it too.

Honestly, don’t know what is going to happen but I always think a luxury tax is more fair than profit sharing. It is a way to award teams for doing well financially. I also think teams asking for a handout have to get punish, like dropping a place or two in the draft unless it is a top three pick. From the business standpoint, I don’t think NHL is a healthy league, too many teams in the red without any forms of punishment, as if the GMs and owners just don’t care bc they know the league will bail them out. Look at the Canes owner, Like it or not, he had an outside the box idea(celebration after a win) and ran with it. The team winning also is attracting more fans but he is someone who wants the team to succeed instead of buying time hoping to draft a McDavid somewhere down the line to save his team.

Reactions: SHANNYPLAN

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
I was lucky to see this guy play at the QMJHL level and he was absolutely dominant. He will probably sign for a buck over minimum NHL wage, he has an extra gear that I think would come alive in the possession offence first Maple Leaf system. Would love to see thsi guy get a chance with the Leafs. he had an absolutely invisible 7 year NHL career but in the right system I think he could be easily a 15G/25A bottom of the rotation type guy.

Dmitrij Jaskin, RW, 26 (KHL)
Ready for round two? A second-round pick in 2011 by St. Louis (41st overall), Jaskin finished the KHL regular season two points behind Vadim Shipachyov (65) for the league scoring lead and wasn’t afraid to mix it up physically, either. Will that be enough for Jaskin to earn another deal after a rather quiet seven-year run with St. Louis and Washington? A powerful forward with good hands, Jaskin could fill a depth role in the NHL again if he’s willing to take that on, but it’s hard to believe a player his age significantly improved in one year away.

Reactions: 4thline

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
I was lucky to see this guy play at the QMJHL level and he was absolutely dominant. He will probably sign for a buck over minimum NHL wage, he has an extra gear that I think would come alive in the possession offence first Maple Leaf system. Would love to see thsi guy get a chance with the Leafs. he had an absolutely invisible 7 year NHL career but in the right system I think he could be easily a 15G/25A bottom of the rotation type guy.

Dmitrij Jaskin, RW, 26 (KHL)
Ready for round two? A second-round pick in 2011 by St. Louis (41st overall), Jaskin finished the KHL regular season two points behind Vadim Shipachyov (65) for the league scoring lead and wasn’t afraid to mix it up physically, either. Will that be enough for Jaskin to earn another deal after a rather quiet seven-year run with St. Louis and Washington? A powerful forward with good hands, Jaskin could fill a depth role in the NHL again if he’s willing to take that on, but it’s hard to believe a player his age significantly improved in one year away.

Was hoping that we'd sign him this off-season, would be a great target this one. I like the idea of having both him and Korshkov being heavy skilled games capable of playing both sides of the ice.

Though I do wonder if he went to the K due to unwillingness to take the league min contract, hard to believe that there was zero nhl interest

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Was hoping that we'd sign him this off-season, would be a great target this one. I like the idea of having both him and Korshkov being heavy skilled games capable of playing both sides of the ice.

Though I do wonder if he went to the K due to unwillingness to take the league min contract, hard to believe that there was zero nhl interest

I had thought KHL contracts had substantially shrunk over the past few years. Would NHL minimum be an upgrade on contract?

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
I had thought KHL contracts had substantially shrunk over the past few years. Would NHL minimum be an upgrade on contract?

Based on this List of top KHL salaries revealed | TradeRumours.com

I think it's a safe bet that he's making more than 700k, and likely more than 1m (albeit in rubles). And looking at contracts to the likes of Ship, Nuke, Dadonov etc I could see gambling on a year away with big minutes rather than being pencilled in to the bottom of an NHL lineup. Especially if the money is the same.

If anything I'd think that the opportunity up the lineup would be a bigger draw than money.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Pasichnuk went to San Jose. Sucks because he was one of the better NCAA UFA's available.

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
No talks yet, but Spezza says again publicly that he wants to return with the Leafs next season. Should be a no brainer to bring him back at the same price tag.

Pasichnuk went to San Jose. Sucks because he was one of the better NCAA UFA's available.
Missed opportunity, but SJ is offering the option of burning this year off of his ELC if the season resumes - something Dubas probably couldn't offer. Unfortunate because he would have been a huge addition to the LD on the Marlies, especially with Kral committed to the Czech league now.

Reminds me of Pionk from a few years back. Was probably the best option left available. He'll play.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
No talks yet, but Spezza says again publicly that he wants to return with the Leafs next season. Should be a no brainer to bring him back at the same price tag.

Missed opportunity, but SJ is offering the option of burning this year off of his ELC if the season resumes - something Dubas probably couldn't offer. Unfortunate because he would have been a huge addition to the LD on the Marlies, especially with Kral committed to the Czech league now.

Reminds me of Pionk from a few years back. Was probably the best option left available. He'll play.

I figured someone was going to give him a better opportunity and there are still a ton of options out there.

Also Kral is not officially going to the Czech league. The source that people are referring to say he may return from the CHL... So likely that he goes back to the Czech league over taking an AHL deal (which was kind of expected). I do not think that means the Leafs have ruled out giving him an ELC.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013

I figured someone was going to give him a better opportunity and there are still a ton of options out there.

Also Kral is not officially going to the Czech league. It says he may return, and that he would reunite with Libor Zabransky (also still in the CHL and may be returning himself) if he were to come back. It likely depends on what we decide to do with him. He's one of the better defensemen available out of the CHL. He ranked in the late 20's or higher in pretty much every production category in the CHL and has been used in a shutdown role for two straight years in Spokane now.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

It seems with a loss of revenues, and precarious business situations, that some KHL teams won't play next year at least... perhaps even fold. I'm not sure in the Admirals case, if there is any talent worth exploring. But there will likely be more announcements, and players without a place to play next year... I don't know how them being under contract, by a team that isn't going to play will affect their eligibility.

Stats : Players stats : 19/20 | regular : Kontinental Hockey League (KHL)

Reactions: Menzinger

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
From 31 thoughts

12. Arizona presented to Alexander Barabanov on Tuesday. They possess more cap space for bonuses than Toronto. The Maple Leafs have worked him hard, however.

Reactions: Kiwi

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
From 31 thoughts

12. Arizona presented to Alexander Barabanov on Tuesday. They possess more cap space for bonuses than Toronto. The Maple Leafs have worked him hard, however.

We can't offer him more money but we can offer him an organization where he's not going to be hampered by language issues and a history of turning KHL UFA into productive NHL players

Also, I think if your a Russian speaker Toronto and it's Eastern European community would be pretty attractive

I played pro Rugby in Russia, I turned down more money to go to a team with plenty of English speakers on it, I wasn't comfortable spending up to 12 months in a place I would struggle to communicate, I'm not saying he's thinking that way but I wouldn't be shocked if it's a large factor

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015

Also Kral is not officially going to the Czech league. It says he may return, and that he would reunite with Libor Zabransky (also still in the CHL and may be returning himself) if he were to come back. It likely depends on what we decide to do with him. He's one of the better defensemen available out of the CHL. He ranked in the late 20's or higher in pretty much every production category in the CHL and has been used in a shutdown role for two straight years in Spokane now.
Nice call. Kral inks his ELC:

Also a fan of Rubins so it’s nice to see him re-up.

Reactions: SeaOfBlue

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I did some capfriendly today for the first time in a while. I went with 84.5M cap, a lot of media have speculated NHL and NHLPA will negotiate for the salary cap next year

DAL/TOR

Faska for Bracco, Kerfoot, SJS 7th 2020

CBJ/TOR

Anderson for Kapanen

NJD/TOR

NJD 5th in 2022 for Gauthier

NYI/TOR

Mayfield for Johnsson

ANA/TOR

Manson for Dermott, Engvall, TOR 5th 2021

Faksa re-signed for 4 years at 3.25M
Anderson re-signed for 2 years at 3M
Mikhayev re-signed for 2 years at 2.25M
Brooks re-signed for 2 years at 700k
Clifford re-signed for 4 years at 1.75M

UFa

Sign Brad Richardson 2 years at 1M
Sign Melkar Karlsson for 2 years at 1.35M
Sign Trevor Lewis for 1 year at 700k
Sign Anthony Bitetto for 1 year at 700k

Nylander-Matthews-Anderson
Hyman-JT-Marner
Mikhayev-Faksa-Karlsson
Clifford-Richardson-Lewis
Brooks (or we could bring back Spezza for 700k for another year, not sure he'd want to be a press box guy though)

Rielly-Manson
Muzzin-Holl
Sandin-Mayfield
Bitetto

Andersen
Campbell

141k cap space

Keeps Liljegren and Robertson in the system. We get grit, good vets, good pkers and still maintain a high degree of skill while IMO giving a bit of a necessary shake up to the group.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I did some capfriendly today for the first time in a while. I went with 84.5M cap, a lot of media have speculated NHL and NHLPA will negotiate for the salary cap next year

DAL/TOR

Faska for Bracco, Kerfoot, SJS 7th 2020

CBJ/TOR

Anderson for Kapanen

NJD/TOR

NJD 5th in 2022 for Gauthier

NYI/TOR

Mayfield for Johnsson

ANA/TOR

Manson for Dermott, Engvall, TOR 5th 2021

Faksa re-signed for 4 years at 3.25M
Anderson re-signed for 2 years at 3M
Mikhayev re-signed for 2 years at 2.25M
Brooks re-signed for 2 years at 700k
Clifford re-signed for 4 years at 1.75M

UFa

Sign Brad Richardson 2 years at 1M
Sign Melkar Karlsson for 2 years at 1.35M
Sign Trevor Lewis for 1 year at 700k
Sign Anthony Bitetto for 1 year at 700k

Nylander-Matthews-Anderson
Hyman-JT-Marner
Mikhayev-Faksa-Karlsson
Clifford-Richardson-Lewis
Brooks (or we could bring back Spezza for 700k for another year, not sure he'd want to be a press box guy though)

Rielly-Manson
Muzzin-Holl
Sandin-Mayfield
Bitetto

Andersen
Campbell

141k cap space

Keeps Liljegren and Robertson in the system. We get grit, good vets, good pkers and still maintain a high degree of skill while IMO giving a bit of a necessary shake up to the group.

I think that cap number is high, I've been using 82.5M when I'm putting teams together

I hate the Anderson for Kapanen trade, I wouldn't touch that

I usually just trade Johnsson for picks, resign Dermott, Mikheyev and Spezza and start working from there

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad