Free Agents and Trade Thread - Coronavirus Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I mean that has been "suggested" for a long time now. Not really anything new unless Mirtle is passing it off as a legitimate rumour.

What seemed more unique here was the most of those suggestions are based on trading someone like AJ/Kap for a D man, where he seemed more focus on free agency specifically.

Reactions: SprDaVE

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Based on 18-19 Anaheim is one of several teams with very little cash to spare, plus they are bottom five in the standings. Given the age and depth of their lineup they look like a team that should possibly be blowing up and rebuilding.
We have seen clubs turn it around in 3-4 years if things go right but does that mean Manson and Fowler need to go to bring rebuild pieces or that they are still going to be helpful to a winner? If I am the Ducks I move both for younger assets and build around Lindholm but they need to get a decent return. The fact they would save $10M a year has to be attractive to ownership although fans would whine short term.

View attachment 337163

Looks like Florida. Columbus. Nash and the isles are ripe for the picking. I could do Manson.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
I wonder about the market for him after this season with his contract

It would really be selling low with him. When he went full time with Matthews his rookie year he was very productive. Matty doesn't have the playmaking skills to take credit for that, ask Mitch. AJ full time with Matthews sample (40pts in 55g) is larger than his suckier sample this year. This years AJ is almost a cap dump., but last years was full value. Like Dermott, if they don't get really solid value for him it makes zero sense to move him this summer and i don't think the club does unless unother GM thinks 18-19 AJ is the real guy and pays accordingly.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
It would really be selling low with him. When he went full time with Matthews his rookie year he was very productive. Matty doesn't have the playmaking skills to take credit for that, ask Mitch. AJ full time with Matthews sample (40pts in 55g) is larger than his suckier sample this year. This years AJ is almost a cap dump., but last years was full value. Like Dermott, if they don't get really solid value for him it makes zero sense to move him this summer and i don't think the club does unless unother GM thinks 18-19 AJ is the real guy and pays accordingly.

If they want to remake the defensive unit they are going to need cap space

There aren't a lot of places to cut salary but AJ/AK/KK is an obvious place to look first

Reactions: Menzinger

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Depressing times, I need a bit of normal in my life. Allow this please.

#FIREDUBAS.

Thank you for your understanding.

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
If the cap stays the same next year or doesnt raise up to the 84 mil expected due to virus i could see us standing pat with our current D core.

Muzzin and Rielly are both top pairing level D and Holl and Dermott are both 2nd pairing level D...It isnt the tragedy that everyone makes it out to be.

Reactions: Magic Man

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
If the cap stays the same next year or doesnt raise up to the 84 mil expected due to virus i could see us standing pat with our current D core.

Muzzin and Rielly are both top pairing level D and Holl and Dermott are both 2nd pairing level D...It isnt the tragedy that everyone makes it out to be.

Even in that case we could add something.

Assuming - Johnsson traded, Mikheyev and Dermott re-signed for 3m combined on whatever term that gets, Goat and Spezza re-signed 800k each (or same value replacements), Korshkov and Agostino up.

We can ice a 22 man roster with ~2.45 allocated to add a steadying vet d presence on the right side.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017

Small sample sizes but Rielly is actually great with Muzzin when he plays the right side.

Run with that top pair and then:

Dermott-Holl
Sandin-Liljegren

-Hope the 3rd pair eventually overtakes the 2nd.

Reactions: stickty111

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

Problem is we didnt get to see those last regus season games plus playoffs for some final analysis.

Managment i think isnunder pressure to make ar least some changes. Imo id expect at least one new face in the top four

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Any word on any new KHL news?

I seem to recall the leafs were linked to a name or two, but cant remember much beyond that lol

Last edited:

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Any word on any mew KHL news?

I seem to recall the leafs were linked to a name or two, but cant remember much beyond that lol

Their seasons are still on-going, and everyone is still under contract until April, so it's all rumours at this point.

Reactions: Menzinger

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
If they were to offer a compliance buy out this Summer / off-season, whatever it is now.

Is there anyone you would use it on?

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
If they were to offer a compliance buy out this Summer / off-season, whatever it is now.

Is there anyone you would use it on?

No, but I'd be interested in a team with multiple bad contracts giving us assets to take one of their bad contracts and using the compliance buyout on it though

I love using money to buy assets, it would seem the team does as well after this TDL

Reactions: kb

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
No, but I'd be interested in a team with multiple bad contracts giving us assets to take one of their bad contracts and using the compliance buyout on it though

I love using money to buy assets, it would seem the team does as well after this TDL

Any ideas? Broke team needs a contract? Crazy question..... say Arizona wants to buyout kessel.... could we get his contract off the books?

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Any ideas? Broke team needs a contract? Crazy question..... say Arizona wants to buyout kessel.... could we get his contract off the books?

I think he would come off our books, but it would cost Arizona plenty to buy him out which seems problematic for them

I'd happily take one of Vancouver's bad contracts for an asset, then use our compliance buyout on it

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
I think he would come off our books, but it would cost Arizona plenty to buy him out which seems problematic for them

I'd happily take one of Vancouver's bad contracts for an asset, then use our compliance buyout on it

I mean we trade for kessel and buy him out. They sign hall. We gain 1.2 in space and assets.

Van has money right? They have garbage contracts but I think they gave the money.

I’m looking at Columbus. Wennberg/Atkinson.

nash. Turris and Ry jo.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I mean we trade for kessel and buy him out. They sign hall. We gain 1.2 in space and assets.

Van has money right? They have garbage contracts but I think they gave the money.

I’m looking at Columbus. Wennberg/Atkinson.

nash. Turris and Ry jo.

I would do that, I'm not sure if Arizona is ready to do that though
His production has started going in a very worrying direction though

Vancouver has money but there's more than 1 bad contract and they have young guys to pay soon, they need to move some bad contracts out asap

I'd happily take one of those other contracts and buy it out, money for assets is good business for a cash rich ownership group

Reactions: hockeywiz542

FraumBallard

Dec 9, 2018
Is there a reason people are hot for Adam Lowry?

A 3rd Line C, who makes 3M who is scoring at a 16 point pace this year.

Kerfoot was having a relatively down year this year, mainly due to a broken jaw and constantly being moved away from the spot he’s the most effective in (3C) and is still on a pace of double the production.

Frankly, Engvall, Kappy and Kerfoot have been nothing but great when playing together. I feel like that’s our third line, and not sure we have a need to change anything else.

Honestly, I’m happy with our entire top 9 when healthy.

Hyman, with Matthews and Marner/Nylander, the other with Tavares and Mikheyev. Engvall, Kappy and Kerfoot.

It’s about building our 4th line, and revamping the D.

No issue with bringing Clifford or Spezza back. Then I think Korshkov is ready to take that RW spot.

Keep Gauthier around as the spare F.

AJ should be used to either get into the 1st round/a high 2nd or in a deal to help improve the RD.
Worst 3rd line ever.
Lowry plays big.
Maybe why you don't like him?
Seriously.
Kerfoot? Brutal.
Adds Nothing.
Engvall? Will he ever throw or take a hit?
Kap? Not bad when he shows up.
Which is rarely.
Playoffs man.
You need guys to win 4 rounds.
Guys who play small don't help with that.
At all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad