Free Agents and Trade Thread - Coronavirus Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Folks around here for the last few weeks have been really overrating Andersons trade value. Guys making as much as he does and just had a 4 point season wont return much.

Reactions: kb and Kiwi

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
We can't offer him more money but we can offer him an organization where he's not going to be hampered by language issues and a history of turning KHL UFA into productive NHL players

Also, I think if your a Russian speaker Toronto and it's Eastern European community would be pretty attractive

I played pro Rugby in Russia, I turned down more money to go to a team with plenty of English speakers on it, I wasn't comfortable spending up to 12 months in a place I would struggle to communicate, I'm not saying he's thinking that way but I wouldn't be shocked if it's a large factor

The culture aspect is really interesting. I remmeber reading an article that a lot of baseball players from the Caribbean liked Toronto the best beacuse they seemed like they fit in better (and that the team has way more emphasis on helping guys learn English)
And career wise, getting to play in the biggest media market in hockey would be a big boost for his profile.

Sign a one year cheap deal and go for a bigger pay raise after

Last edited:
Reactions: kb and Kiwi

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
The culture aspect is really interesting. I remmeber reading an article that a lot of baseball players from the Caribbean liked Toronto the best beacuse they seemed like they fit in better (and that the team has way more emphasis on helping guys learn English)
And career wise, getting to play in the biggest media market in hockey would be a big boost for his profile.

Sign a one year cheap dwal and go for a bigger pay raise after

That's the way I'd think, you also have Mikheyev, Korshkov and Russian speaking coach's in the organisation to converse with and the organization will go out of it's way to help him aclimatize to N/A + develop his game

I'd sign with the Leafs, try to work my way up the lineup, get a nice pay rise and try to stay in Toronto mid to long term, much like Mikheyev is likely to

I'm biased but that's an attractive option

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
From 31 thoughts

12. Arizona presented to Alexander Barabanov on Tuesday. They possess more cap space for bonuses than Toronto. The Maple Leafs have worked him hard, however.
Milstein being his agent is a huge plus for us. He raved over how Dubas treated Mikheyev when he cut his wrist, and mentioned that he would make sure to inform his clients of how great he was.

Obviously his players preferences come first but I could see a wave of Milstein clients coming over the next few years.

Hopefully it helps us get Mik re-signed nice and cheap as well.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Milstein being his agent is a huge plus for us. He raved over how Dubas treated Mikheyev when he cut his wrist, and mentioned that he would make sure to inform his clients of how great he was.

Obviously his players preferences come first but I could see a wave of Milstein clients coming over the next few years.

Hopefully it helps us get Mik re-signed nice and cheap as well.

We've seen with Marner how much a bad agent-GM relationship can f*** us over, glad to see we are on the opposite side of that coin here.

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Screen Shot 2020-04-02 at 2.08.01 AM.png

Johnsson <--> Mayfield
Kerfoot & Pick/Prospect <--> Lowry

Leaves the team with just under $3,000,000 (with a flat cap) to improve the blue line if needed by the trade deadline. Mayfield is not a top-pairing guy, but provides Rielly with a physical, stay at home partner who can stay back and clear the front of the net while Mo does his thing. Muzzin & Holl have looked good in a shutdown role, and the kids are ready to take a step.

Last edited:

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Well more so a notoriously difficult agent
I know that some view him that way but I don't see it.
He's just doing his job trying to get the best deal for his client.
If anything Nylanders agent should be seen as being 'difficult' as he held his player out.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
I know that some view him that way but I don't see it.
He's just doing his job trying to get the best deal for his client.
If anything Nylanders agent should be seen as being 'difficult' as he held his player out.

This isn’t isolated to Marner, there were many players threatening holdouts and strong arming teams under his guidance. Yes he’s doing his job to get the best deal for his client, but that doesn’t mean he’s not difficult to work with.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I erased that part because I couldn’t find it and didn’t want to spread false info, but I could’ve sworn that happened. I’ll continue to look
No worries and he could very well be seen as difficult.
I've just never seen anything to believe that. I know Ferris worked with Orr for a long time and Orr is considered a good guy.
He joined Anton Thun who is a standup guy as is everyone else who came out of Thorold.

If true that he is difficult, I wonder what the motivation is for the player to sign on with them?
Lots of players use that Agency.
https://www.quartexxmanagement.com/home-english

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I think that cap number is high, I've been using 82.5M when I'm putting teams together

I hate the Anderson for Kapanen trade, I wouldn't touch that

I usually just trade Johnsson for picks, resign Dermott, Mikheyev and Spezza and start working from there

I like what Anderson could bring us, he was basically injured all year. Gives us that "Grit" guy on the line and lets us move Hyman back with JT & Marner, I love the ingredients in the top 6.

82.5M is possible but a lot of media speculated that the NHL and NHLPA would negotiate on a cap because of the circumstances.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
owners want to keep the same but I doubt the players want it too.

Honestly, don’t know what is going to happen but I always think a luxury tax is more fair than profit sharing. It is a way to award teams for doing well financially. I also think teams asking for a handout have to get punish, like dropping a place or two in the draft unless it is a top three pick. From the business standpoint, I don’t think NHL is a healthy league, too many teams in the red without any forms of punishment, as if the GMs and owners just don’t care bc they know the league will bail them out. Look at the Canes owner, Like it or not, he had an outside the box idea(celebration after a win) and ran with it. The team winning also is attracting more fans but he is someone who wants the team to succeed instead of buying time hoping to draft a McDavid somewhere down the line to save his team.

Teams that do well tend to be in large population centers with a lot of corporations. Its largely a factor of location. Having a history of hockey in the area is another factor. The driving factors are largely inherited and a function of location.

Not sure about the idea of a "handout". When the first CBA (and subsequent) was introduced the majority of the owners voted in favour of it and a cap was instituted. In the current CBA, 50% of HRR went to players, 50% went to owners. That seems like an equitable arrangement.

When they do their projections for HRR next season, they are most likely going to see a decrease given how high unemployment levels could be in the fall. They will already have revenue shortfalls from this year given that not all the games were played. I'm sure a lot of owners would like to see the cap go down to correspond to the lower HRR level. How they do that remains to be seen. The fact they have a CBA contract in place is a headwind. It will be interesting to see what happens.

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
I like what Anderson could bring us, he was basically injured all year. Gives us that "Grit" guy on the line and lets us move Hyman back with JT & Marner, I love the ingredients in the top 6.

82.5M is possible but a lot of media speculated that the NHL and NHLPA would negotiate on a cap because of the circumstances.
Johnsson/Kerfoot for Anderson

Nylander - Matthews - Anderson
Hyman - Tavares - Marner

One hell of a top 6

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
I know I'll get shit on for this but if Thornton wants too come here for a million next year I do it.
Should he want to sign with our Leafs, it should be for no more money than Spezza signed for. Period. JMHO.

I'd bring back Spezza long before signing Thornton!

Last edited:
Reactions: SHANNYPLAN

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Should he want to sign with outLeafs, it should be for no more money than Spezza signed for. Period. JMHO.

I'd bring back Spezza long before signing Thornton!
I'd bring in both for combined 2 mill.

I know Gauthier has continued to improve but Thornton at 1 mill is a huge upgrade on him. Spezza has earned another year at 700k easily.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

He's in his mid 20's and he's only had one decent scoring season, I don't see the argument for trading the better scoring, younger player who's under team control at a manageable cap hit for him

They will be doing well for the cap not to go down, I think being conservative with the cap number would be prudent at this point because economic realities are going to be tough for awhile

Reactions: Menzinger

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
I'd bring in both for combined 2 mill.

I know Gauthier has continued to improve but Thornton at 1 mill is a huge upgrade on him. Spezza has earned another year at 700k easily.
Thornton at NHL minimum would be fine for 1 year, however, everyone should remember that he will be 41 years old when, and if, there is a 2020-2021 season.

I'm not sure I'd sign both Spezza and Thornton. Since Spezza is 3 years younger, and, has already played well enough for our Leafs, my vote would be to re-sign him over Thornton.

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
Folks around here for the last few weeks have been really overrating Andersons trade value. Guys making as much as he does and just had a 4 point season wont return much.
I still think he gets a fair bit. Similar to Athanasiou. You know GM's love the big, mean PWF that can skate.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Thornton at NHL minimum would be fine for 1 year, however, everyone should remember that he will be 41 years old when, and if, there is a 2020-2021 season.

I'm not sure I'd sign both Spezza and Thornton. Since Spezza is 3 years younger, and, has already played well enough for our Leafs, my vote would be to re-sign him over Thornton.

Id have no issue inking both if they woule take close to 1 mil each. Each guy would thrive in sheltered minutes here, and each 2ould add extra centre depth

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I still think he gets a fair bit. Similar to Athanasiou. You know GM's love the big, mean PWF that can skate.

Eh, id agree that there would be teams interested in taking him. I just dont think the BlueJackets get fair falue given how things went last season

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
He's in his mid 20's and he's only had one decent scoring season, I don't see the argument for trading the better scoring, younger player who's under team control at a manageable cap hit for him

They will be doing well for the cap not to go down, I think being conservative with the cap number would be prudent at this point because economic realities are going to be tough for awhile

If you're a real GM, definitely better to be conservative.

RE: Anderson-Kapanen. I don't think it's a huge difference either way. Kapanen had his big year last year playing with Matthews. He's struggled when placed in the top 6. Anderson in this hypothetical scenario gets a good raise to 3M for 2 years so really not losing any control except for the whole RFA part which I get is huge but I don't think we'd be in a position to give Kapanen a raise anyway.

I just like the idea of rounding out our roster more with ingredients we don't have. Adding guys like Faksa, Manson, Anderson, Mayfield make us able to go into war with bigger teams and we still maintain a high degree of skill which is also necessary. We also really hold onto our big prospects.

The odds of so many of these deals happening would be minimal so not much to worry about. In all sincerity though just so we can get back to some normalcy in our day to day lives, post up a Capfriendly for next year. I want to see what you would want to do or see with this group.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad