Free Agents and Trade Thread - Coronavirus Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Other thread was full. Might as well start a new one.

I think we're about to see a big rise in rumours about NCAA/CHL/KHL/EU free agents very soon. Not much else to do other than talk to those free agents and their agents and many of those players are done with their season now.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto

I think we're about to see a big rise in rumours about NCAA/CHL/KHL/EU free agents very soon. Not much else to do other than talk to those free agents and their agents and many of those players are done with their season now.

not allowed to sign them becasue that would mean they'd have shake hands in the photo op

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
For those who care, you can still watch KHL hockey to watch out for KHL Free Agents and stuff... Not there are many that really make sense for the Leafs right now.

Anthrax442

Aug 4, 2008
Toronto
www.russianroulette.ca

I hope the Grigorenko rumor is true

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
I hope the Grigorenko rumor is true
Yea other than Grigorenko I don't really see anything interesting there.

Side note, nice to see Soshnikov healthy and having a great year over there. Loved his game but concussions de-railed him big time.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
Yea other than Grigorenko I don't really see anything interesting there.

Side note, nice to see Soshnikov healthy and having a great year over there. Loved his game but concussions de-railed him big time.

We could really use his shot on the wing now.

Isn't that Barbanov guy linked to us the most out of all the russian free agents?

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
So I am expecting the season to be completed in some fashion. While I am not the Dermott booster that some are (don't mind him at his best but need the larger sample) it was my thought that his progress or not the last 10 of the season plus playoffs might determine what move the Leafs might make on D. If they add a RD what would it cost for Seattle not to take the new guy or Dermott? If Dermott looked good enough might they try to roll with him at RD and no add? If Dermott looked better on the left would he become a core piece to add a better RD?

In the end, the more games they play the better read they have on him so best case was they play him the full season plus a couple of playoff rounds and we have all our answers(maybe). Worst case is season cancelled, and second worst is they can't squeeze in all 82 and are out in the first round so instead of another 20 games watching him they have less than 10. Then he maybe becomes a summer trade chip at a lower value or has to claw his way for minutes behind Rielly and Muzzin next season. If they add a RD he probably ceases to be a solution there and we also have to accept that if there is a RD that Dubas sees as the fit with Rielly he won't wait til next season to see how Dermott progresses. If "his guy" and I don't mean a Barrie type, is there, I think he will make a move and that probably isn't good news for Dermott. A bad finish to this season puts Dubas on the clock, if he isn't there already. I don't think he will sell the farm but I do think he will spend more this year, ala Muzzin or more, to shore up the D.

To me this was Dermott's time and he may get cheated. On the other hand Dubas may get ragdolled on contracts but he isn't nearly that soft on trades, so maybe he isn't able to make his deal this summer and Dermott has into the season to make his spot. Again, not a huge Dermott guy, but internal promotions are way more cap friendly than trades and FA signings. Can you imagine the Leafs make cap space for Hamo and he has a declining year or Tanev who just gets injured again? Pay $3M more for a worse player?

For me the "Dermott watch" is right up there with Willie's resurgence and Holl becoming an NHLer.

Reactions: aingefan

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
So I am expecting the season to be completed in some fashion. While I am not the Dermott booster that some are (don't mind him at his best but need the larger sample) it was my thought that his progress or not the last 10 of the season plus playoffs might determine what move the Leafs might make on D. If they add a RD what would it cost for Seattle not to take the new guy or Dermott? If Dermott looked good enough might they try to roll with him at RD and no add? If Dermott looked better on the left would he become a core piece to add a better RD?

In the end, the more games they play the better read they have on him so best case was they play him the full season plus a couple of playoff rounds and we have all our answers(maybe). Worst case is season cancelled, and second worst is they can't squeeze in all 82 and are out in the first round so instead of another 20 games watching him they have less than 10. Then he maybe becomes a summer trade chip at a lower value or has to claw his way for minutes behind Rielly and Muzzin next season. If they add a RD he probably ceases to be a solution there and we also have to accept that if there is a RD that Dubas sees as the fit with Rielly he won't wait til next season to see how Dermott progresses. If "his guy" and I don't mean a Barrie type, is there, I think he will make a move and that probably isn't good news for Dermott. A bad finish to this season puts Dubas on the clock, if he isn't there already. I don't think he will sell the farm but I do think he will spend more this year, ala Muzzin or more, to shore up the D.

To me this was Dermott's time and he may get cheated. On the other hand Dubas may get ragdolled on contracts but he isn't nearly that soft on trades, so maybe he isn't able to make his deal this summer and Dermott has into the season to make his spot. Again, not a huge Dermott guy, but internal promotions are way more cap friendly than trades and FA signings. Can you imagine the Leafs make cap space for Hamo and he has a declining year or Tanev who just gets injured again? Pay $3M more for a worse player?

For me the "Dermott watch" is right up there with Willie's resurgence and Holl becoming an NHLer.

We may not have a choice about Dermott playing top 4 next season

If the cap stays flat or goes down we won't be able to afford to bring another defenseman in

One that's good anyway

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010

Everyone here would lose their job if they risked the success of their franchise on a data set with a sample size that small.

Bigmarycombo

Jul 15, 2017
Dermott is a plus 14 on the season
Last ten games played more than 20 minutes a night
Against Tampa he played 25 minutes and was on the ice for the last minute protecting a lead

But yes let’s trade him

Only in leaf land do people want to trade a young defender who missed a lot of time due to shoulder surgery

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Against Tampa he played 25 minutes and was on the ice for the last minute protecting a lead

But yes let’s trade him

Only in leaf land do people want to trade a young defender who missed a lot of time due to shoulder surgery
The good news is that he's a guy you can sign cheap. His raw stats aren't great (11 points in 56 games) and he struggled mightily when he first jumped into that top 4 role for us this season.

Could be our Josh Gorges.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005

But yes let’s trade him

I am not sure there are a lot of "lets trade him" posters. It has a lot to do with whether he should be protected in the X draft after Rielly and Muzz. Based on his body of work, what is his value? (not his potential). Do they see him as a real RD option?. If so, why did they call Lily up rather than dedicate at least those right side minutes to to TD? And if they don't see him as a RD and he is locked behind Rielly, Muzz and Sandin long term on the left then why keep him? They could have played him every chance they had on the right to answer KD's question about a proper RD partner for Rielly. Instead they have gone a long ways to towards proving he is a legit top 4 LD which they don't need. I think that was good for his trade value but not necessarily his future with TO.

He has to play somewhere because he is too good to shuttle in and out of the 3rd pairing. Maybe they aren't conceding the third LD spot to Sandin next year but that seems a waste of resources and of a protected slot on D. Dermott looks like a top 4 guy with no left side top 4 future on this club. So maybe they were show casing him or maybe they think he looks okay but nothing special so they hope to have him around as a talented fill-in and will use him as though there was no looming expansion. Their behavior doesn't really indicate their intentions.

facelessjoe1990

Jul 12, 2012
Does anyone know of inactive contracts from around the league that the leafs could trade for? Ryan kesler from Anaheim? (Like Clarkson an Horton)

Leaffan1991

Oct 22, 2016
Canada
Sign Miky 1 year 2 million
Sign Dermott 1 year 2 million per year
Sign Spezza 1 year 1 million
Sign Clifford 2 years 1 million per
Sign Reaves 1 year 1 million

trade
AJ and Abruzzese for Larsson

Kerfoot for Adam Lowry

Hyman Matthews Marner
Mik Tavares Nylander
Engvall Lowry Kapanen
Clifford Spezza Reaves
Gauthier

Rielly Larsson
Muzzin Dermott
Sandin Holl

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Is there a reason people are hot for Adam Lowry?

A 3rd Line C, who makes 3M who is scoring at a 16 point pace this year.

Kerfoot was having a relatively down year this year, mainly due to a broken jaw and constantly being moved away from the spot he’s the most effective in (3C) and is still on a pace of double the production.

Frankly, Engvall, Kappy and Kerfoot have been nothing but great when playing together. I feel like that’s our third line, and not sure we have a need to change anything else.

Honestly, I’m happy with our entire top 9 when healthy.

Hyman, with Matthews and Marner/Nylander, the other with Tavares and Mikheyev. Engvall, Kappy and Kerfoot.

It’s about building our 4th line, and revamping the D.

No issue with bringing Clifford or Spezza back. Then I think Korshkov is ready to take that RW spot.

Keep Gauthier around as the spare F.

AJ should be used to either get into the 1st round/a high 2nd or in a deal to help improve the RD.

Reactions: Al14 and stickty111

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Is there a reason people are hot for Adam Lowry?

A 3rd Line C, who makes 3M who is scoring at a 16 point pace this year.

Kerfoot was having a relatively down year this year, mainly due to a broken jaw and constantly being moved away from the spot he’s the most effective in (3C) and is still on a pace of double the production.

Frankly, Engvall, Kappy and Kerfoot have been nothing but great when playing together. I feel like that’s our third line, and not sure we have a need to change anything else.

Honestly, I’m happy with our entire top 9 when healthy.

Hyman, with Matthews and Marner/Nylander, the other with Tavares and Mikheyev. Engvall, Kappy and Kerfoot.

It’s about building our 4th line, and revamping the D.

No issue with bringing Clifford or Spezza back. Then I think Korshkov is ready to take that RW spot.

Keep Gauthier around as the spare F.

AJ should be used to either get into the 1st round/a high 2nd or in a deal to help improve the RD.

I would have the 4th line as Korshkov-Gauthier-Spezza with a bargain bin UFA like Girgensens or Johan Larsson as the extra. You should have Brooks, Malgin, Agostino, Petan, Kossila, and Aberg, plus potentially Bracco around as AHL depth for next year. I do not think Clifford is going to be worth the extra round nor the money he will command in UFA to be an aging grinder.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Re Dermott and expansion, if we have the cap to add a 4th protection worthy defenseman I could easily see us go the 4+4 route rather than 7+3. To often people get hyper focused on making sure we give Seattle the worst player possible rather than prioritizing having the best team before and after expansion, and they're not the same thing.

Another indication of this route would be if Hyman isn't signed in good time.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
I'd move Kerfoot+ for a dman with term like Risto or Dumba or individually for high picks and then re-sign Spezza for 700K to lead 3C next to Johnsson and Kapanen. Try and rotate in Engvall at 3C when he's playing like he can.

Look at guys like Big Joe, Soderberg, Koivu, Girgensons or Eakin on a discount in the summer to see if they can upgrade the position.

Hyman - Matthews - Marner -
Mikheyev - Tavares - Nylander
Johnsson - Spezza - Kapanen
Clifford - Engvall - Gauthier
ex. Bracco + Brooks

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I'd move Kerfoot+ for a dman with term like Risto or Dumba or individually for high picks and then re-sign Spezza for 700K to lead 3C next to Johnsson and Kapanen. Try and rotate in Engvall at 3C when he's playing like he can.

Look at guys like Big Joe, Soderberg, Koivu, Girgensons or Eakin on a discount in the summer to see if they can upgrade the position.

Hyman - Matthews - Marner -
Mikheyev - Tavares - Nylander
Johnsson - Spezza - Kapanen
Clifford - Engvall - Gauthier
ex. Bracco + Brooks

Risto and Dumba blow defensively, they are objectively bad in that area of the game and after the Barrie experiment I'm not keen on us putting our heads in a noose long term with that type of AAV attached to it

Johnsson should be the player to go, he's behind Hyman and Mikheyev on the left, our best forward prospect is a LW (Robertson) and he doesn't have the ability to play center

I like Spezza and want to resign him but I'm not keen on giving him 3C minutes or responsibilities at his age, just keep Kerfoot at 3C and "load manage" Spezza

Reactions: Menzinger and nuck

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Re Dermott and expansion, if we have the cap to add a 4th protection worthy defenseman I could easily see us go the 4+4 route rather than 7+3. To often people get hyper focused on making sure we give Seattle the worst player possible rather than prioritizing having the best team before and after expansion, and they're not the same thing.

Another indication of this route would be if Hyman isn't signed in good time.

4+4 is a really bad idea. #4 defensemen are replaceable defensemen you can find in UFA and trades every year for a reasonable cost, and by the time expansion rolls around, our #4/5 defensemen should probably be Liljegren and Sandin anyways (both exempt). Kapanen, Johnsson, Kerfoot or whoever we decide to protect with those extra three spots are a lot more valuable than any #4 defenseman in this league.

We should not need another top 4 defenseman besides Rielly, Muzzin and Dermott (or whoever we trade him to get). Holl will be the one who is exposed and it is not a big deal if we lose him.

Protect as many guys as possible and do not worry about trading away assets to protect an extra guy either. If anything, just trade away a roster player for assets.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
4+4 is a really bad idea. #4 defensemen are replaceable defensemen you can find in UFA and trades every year for a reasonable cost, and by the time expansion rolls around, our #4/5 defensemen should probably be Liljegren and Sandin anyways (both exempt). Kapanen, Johnsson, Kerfoot or whoever we decide to protect with those extra three spots are a lot more valuable than any #4 defenseman in this league.

We should not need another top 4 defenseman besides Rielly, Muzzin and Dermott (or whoever we trade him to get). Holl will be the one who is exposed and it is not a big deal if we lose him.

Protect as many guys as possible and do not worry about trading away assets to protect an extra guy either. If anything, just trade away a roster player for assets.

Know what else is easily replaceable? Forwards 7-8-9. Mikheyev is exempt, we can game the system with a UFA Hyman. Say we can sign (or trade a KK/AJ) for a solid borderline Muzzin class D with term, and Dermott emerges as a protection worthy young top 4 dman. Why weaken the roster by trading away hard to get things that help the team now and in the future when we can just let Seattle have a forward we can replace?

Option 1- Add a top 4 D, plan to protect 4 IF Dermott emerges (bold = exposed)
Next year
Top 9 F: Tavares/Matthews/Marner/Nylander/Hyman/Kapanen/Mikheyev/Kerfoot/Engvall
Top 5 D: Rielly/Muzzin/xxx/Dermott/Holl

Post expansion = Same less one of KK/Kerfoot/Engvall/Holl

Option 2 - Go lean, ensure that we only have 3 D worth protecting
Next year
Top 9F - Tavares/Matthews/Marner/Nylander/Hyman/Kapanen/Mikheyev/Kerfoot/Engvall
Top 5D- Rielly/Muzzin/Dermott/Holl/Sandin

Post expansion- same less Holl

Sure potentially losing Kapanen is slightly more painful in vacuum than Holl, but 4 worthy defenders + Holl before and a guaranteed 4 after lets us be a better team in both years.

That Kap/Kerfoot/ Johnsson are "a lot more valuable than any 4 in the league" is flat out crazy. If that was reality one would not be a Leaf today. And more importantly, if they were and that trade could be made for a better than 4 defender we would do it, and then the question becomes Dermott vs. one of the remaining two.

Of course, if Dermott doesn't emerge the point becomes moot and we let them choose between two of the defenders, after being a better team in 20-21 than if we jettisoned a player to position for expansion

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad