Free Agents and Trade Thread - Coronavirus Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
If they were to offer a compliance buy out this Summer / off-season, whatever it is now.

Is there anyone you would use it on?
Nope, everything looks fine that way. Though, I don't like Justin Holl for 3 years very much, but he would have to be replaced with a similar or better defenseman to make it work, which could be possible.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Personally, I don’t think the Cap is going down as most teams will be over. Don’t think it will stay the same either.
I think next year will be an exception or even an introduction to a soft cap, like teams in the black can spend over but need to pay luxury tax.

Reactions: Kurtz

slates77

Mar 18, 2020
Personally, I don’t think the Cap is going down as most teams will be over. Don’t think it will stay the same either.
I think next year will be an exception or even an introduction to a soft cap, like teams in the black can spend over but need to pay luxury tax.

Praying for this, would benefit the leafs the most.

Leaffan1991

Oct 22, 2016
Canada
Worst 3rd line ever.
Lowry plays big.
Maybe why you don't like him?
Seriously.
Kerfoot? Brutal.
Adds Nothing.
Engvall? Will he ever throw or take a hit?
Kap? Not bad when he shows up.
Which is rarely.
Playoffs man.
You need guys to win 4 rounds.
Guys who play small don't help with that.
At all.

plus he’s great defensively something we are definitely lacking in our forward group

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Isles Inbox: Lou Lamoriello

Question from Dennis Anninos: What is the status of Ilya Sorokin and are there discussions to bring him to Long Island?

Yes, we have every indication that he will be here for next season.

Question from Tyler McGivney: If Mat Barzal is presented with an offer sheet, will you match?

It is our intention to not allow it to get to that point, but should that happen, the answer is yes.

Question from Matt Shutowich: How confident are you that you can resign our three RFAs, Mat Barzal, Devon Toews and Ryan Pulock?

We have every intention to sign all three.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I've been out of it the last week or two without hockey... but I'm still hoping for the Leafs/Marlies to add a couple players here from EU/KHL/NCAA in the next couple weeks. A few of them have been snatched up but plenty of interesting names still out there.

Reactions: Menzinger and Al14

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Isles Inbox: Lou Lamoriello

Question from Dennis Anninos: What is the status of Ilya Sorokin and are there discussions to bring him to Long Island?

Yes, we have every indication that he will be here for next season.

Question from Tyler McGivney: If Mat Barzal is presented with an offer sheet, will you match?

It is our intention to not allow it to get to that point, but should that happen, the answer is yes.

Question from Matt Shutowich: How confident are you that you can resign our three RFAs, Mat Barzal, Devon Toews and Ryan Pulock?

We have every intention to sign all three.
Lou is going to need to pony up a first round pick+ to get rid of Ladd then. The rumoured offer for Parise would have been Ladd+ 1st+ Bellows which would have made their cap situation even worse.

That team will be a disaster soon.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Lou is going to need to pony up a first round pick+ to get rid of Ladd then. The rumoured offer for Parise would have been Ladd+ 1st+ Bellows which would have made their cap situation even worse.

That team will be a disaster soon.

If compliance buyouts are a thing. We could take Ladd and one of their D for a kerfoot/AJ.

either like

1.) ladd and mayfield for a 7th
2.) Ladd and pelech/puloch for an AJ.

Reactions: Saint Blue

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
If compliance buyouts are a thing. We could take Ladd and one of their D for a kerfoot/AJ.

either like

1.) ladd and mayfield for a 7th
2.) Ladd and pelech/puloch for an AJ.
Yea... If I'm taking Ladd so they can sign Barzal I'm asking for Dobson from a Leaf perspective since Lou basically cost us a 1st this year.

I think they trade him with a 1st and a prosepct to somebody, but if we did take him I would ask for Dobson as the main piece. He's not eligible for the expansion draft like the other guys you mentioned.

If you pull that off then you have trade bait in Dermott/Holl/Kerfoot/Johnsson to get the pieces needed for a #1 RHD.

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Leafs - Jets
Alexander Kerfoot <--> Adam Lowry

Leafs - Blue Jackets
Andreas Johnsson <--> Josh Anderson

Leafs - Blackhawks
Travis Dermott & Jeremy Bracco
for
Connor Murphy

Re-Sign:
Anderson 2.5 million x 2 years
Clifford 1.25 million x 2 years
Ilya Micheyev 2.25 x 3 years
Spezza 700k x 1 year

Sign:
Roman Polak 1 million x 1 year

LINES:

Nylander - Matthews - Anderson
Hyman - - - Tavares - - - Marner
Micheyev - - Lowry - - Kapanen
Clifford - - - Spezza - - - Engvall

Rielly - Murphy
Muzzin - - Holl
Sandin - Polak

Andersen
Campbell

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
What I think people are missing is that if there really is a cap freeze for this year. No player who is a ufa is going to sign long term this year. They probably will just take a SB

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
Rasmus Sandin's brother Linus has been getting NHL interest:
  • 23 years old
  • Plays Center
  • 36 PTS in 51 GP this year (leads U24 SHL F in scoring)
Seems like a good option who we could probably promise middle six AHL minutes to right away with only Kossila (and probably eventually Brooks) signed to play center for the Marlies. SDA, Stotts, and Elynuik are internal C options too, but all save Elynuik could start on the wing.

Reactions: LeafChief

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
  • 23 years old
  • Plays Center
Seems like a good option who we could probably promise middle six AHL minutes to right away with only Kossila (and probably eventually Brooks) signed to play center for the Marlies. SDA, Stotts, and Elynuik are internal C options too, but all save Elynuik could start on the wing.

Sandin will more likely play RW. May play the odd time down the middle.

Reactions: Duke16

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
  • 23 years old
  • Plays Center
If he's good enough for an AHL spot, I'd have no problem giving him an AHL deal. Don't see the harm.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Are the Leafs planning on dipping into the college and European free agency market?

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Are the Leafs planning on dipping into the college and European free agency market?

ans.Rumors are just rumors but it seems like there has been mention of serious interest in a couple of different Russi.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
4 points in 26 games. Dont think hes getting 5-5.5 million. He might get a one year for 2.5-3 million max to prove himself.

Agent is Darren Ferris - Best season 27 goals 20 assists 47 points, physical presence.

Tom Wilson - 6 years, $5,166,666 after a career best of 14 goals, 21 assists - 35 points.

Other than this season, Anderson has scored more goals than Wilson had, for three years straight... (at the time of contract signing)

He would easily get an offer sheet of $4.2 - $4.4 million if negotiations with Columbus don't go well... and with Ferris, you know that's a probability... that's the floor here... I mean, some team will want what he brings, and it will just cost them a Second round pick as compensation.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Agent is Darren Ferris - Best season 27 goals 20 assists 47 points, physical presence.

Tom Wilson - 6 years, $5,166,666 after a career best of 14 goals, 21 assists - 35 points.

Other than this season, Anderson has scored more goals than Wilson had, for three years straight... (at the time of contract signing)

He would easily get an offer sheet of $4.2 - $4.4 million if negotiations with Columbus don't go well... and with Ferris, you know that's a probability... that's the floor here... I mean, some team will want what he brings, and it will just cost them a Second round pick as compensation.

Wilson got that after a pretty big playoffs too though, one where he was a key part of a Cup win. Guys' numbers are always inflated after that, and Anderson does not have that working for him.

I would not be surprised if he gets non-tendered by Columbus. His number is going to be way too large, he's coming off of a huge injury now, and he has only one season worth the kind of money he'd get even on a tender.

But then again, some team may overrate him like many fans do. I just hope it is not the Leafs, because he's a bottom 6 grinder who wants to get paid like a top 6 forward.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Wilson got that after a pretty big playoffs too though, one where he was a key part of a Cup win. Guys' numbers are always inflated after that, and Anderson does not have that working for him.

I would not be surprised if he gets non-tendered by Columbus. His number is going to be way too large, he's coming off of a huge injury now, and he has only one season worth the kind of money he'd get even on a tender.

But then again, some team may overrate him like many fans do. I just hope it is not the Leafs, because he's a bottom 6 grinder who wants to get paid like a top 6 forward.

On all of that I agree with you. I've compared him to Clarkson....

That being said, with Ferris on his side, and as you say.... it will take just one team to overrate him....

But, if he went UFA, for the right price, I'd sign him... but it would be low.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
In the NHL, the hunt for the next Tyler Bozak is the only game in town

At this point, this year’s group doesn’t look like it contains a front-line NHLer. Calgary may have signed the best of the lot in 23-year-old defenceman Connor Mackey out of Minnesota State University. With T.J. Brodie, Derek Forbort and Travis Hamonic headed for unrestricted free agency, this could be a useful depth signing. The Flames also signed another blueliner, 24-year-old Colton Poolman out of North Dakota.

Pittsburgh had success in the past with Aston-Reese and Conor Sheary, and they’ve been active again this year with six-foot-three Dartmouth forward Drew O’Connor and Cam Lee, a 23-year-old Western Michigan defenceman who grew up not far from Sidney Crosby’s Nova Scotia home town.

The Rangers signed 21-year-old Californian Patrick Khodorenko, a centre who was part of the U.S. national development program at the same time as Auston Matthews. Khodorenko played at Michigan State, and already played an AHL game before that season was shut down. Vancouver signed another Minnesota State player, centre Marc Michaelis.

Other intriguing collegians are still out there waiting to be signed, including Alberta-born defenceman Brinson Pasichnuk, who played at Arizona State with Mario Lemieux’s son Austin.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
In the NHL, the hunt for the next Tyler Bozak is the only game in town

At this point, this year’s group doesn’t look like it contains a front-line NHLer. Calgary may have signed the best of the lot in 23-year-old defenceman Connor Mackey out of Minnesota State University. With T.J. Brodie, Derek Forbort and Travis Hamonic headed for unrestricted free agency, this could be a useful depth signing. The Flames also signed another blueliner, 24-year-old Colton Poolman out of North Dakota.

Pittsburgh had success in the past with Aston-Reese and Conor Sheary, and they’ve been active again this year with six-foot-three Dartmouth forward Drew O’Connor and Cam Lee, a 23-year-old Western Michigan defenceman who grew up not far from Sidney Crosby’s Nova Scotia home town.

The Rangers signed 21-year-old Californian Patrick Khodorenko, a centre who was part of the U.S. national development program at the same time as Auston Matthews. Khodorenko played at Michigan State, and already played an AHL game before that season was shut down. Vancouver signed another Minnesota State player, centre Marc Michaelis.

Other intriguing collegians are still out there waiting to be signed, including Alberta-born defenceman Brinson Pasichnuk, who played at Arizona State with Mario Lemieux’s son Austin.

Pittsburgh signed the only really interesting names on that list in O'Connor and Lee.

The rest are worse than guys who are still out there IMO. Although Khordorenko was one of the few semi-decent centers available this year. There are mostly just LD and wingers available out there.

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
My Summer 2020 Forward Targets:
  1. Josh Anderson - Buy Low Candidate, I can see him taking on a Wilson like role alongside Auston Matthews
  2. Adam Lowry - We don't need offense, this guy is a big, strong, defensively responsible third line centre who can be effective in a shut down role. Something around Kerfoot for Lowry could work
  3. Miles Wood - Yup, another power forward. He can play, he's physical, and seemed to be available from NJ this season. Can see him slotting in the top 9 in a Hyman like role.
  4. Joe Thornton - Veteran Leadership, Can play 3C if he's willing to take a massive pay-cut (2 million?)
  5. Patrick Maroon - Can play anywhere in the lineup, good utility piece, tough as nails
My Summer 2020 Defence Targets:
  1. Josh Manson - Top pairing RHD, tough as nails and is effective in a shut down role, best case scenario but unlikely.
  2. Rasmus Ristolainen - Has all the tools to be a good top 4 RHD, he's physical, he can skate, seems like a Dubas type guy. I cant help but think he'd look good next to Muzzin.
  3. Troy Brodie - LHD that plays the right side, would like real good in the top four alongside Rielly or Muzzin.
  4. Scott Mayfield - Big, Physical #4 RHD on an amazing contract. Would really help out our cap situation if we could get him for a Johnsson/Kerfoot.
  5. Alex Pietrangelo - Would instantly become our #1 RHD and change the face of our blue line. I don't think it makes sense to pay another player 11 million when we have Rielly and Andersen looking for extensions next year.
  6. Travis Hamonic - He has fallen off, potential buy low candidate on the free agent market. Tough as nails, shut down RHD
  7. Radko Gudas - Crazy, physical shutdown RHD. He will get overpaid by someone for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad