GDT: Free Agent Frenzy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I just don’t think they were ever that bad of a team, and have a tendency to rebound well

Us this year being a great example of how recent records are deceptive on actual potential

Yes, I don’t think they’ll make the playoffs or something, but 10 worst in league does not seem like some pipe dream if they can get a couple solid players back

The difference between us at OTT is that we had mackinnon go god mode all season. If they trade Karlsson who do they have that’s capable of putting up a hart caliber year? Who do they have that can play at a 115 point pace for an entire season? If Karlsson leaves their best defenseman is Cody f***ing Ceci. There’s just no one on that team that can carry them to respectability other than EK.

Echo Roku

Jan 14, 2018
The difference between us at OTT is that we had mackinnon go god mode all season. If they trade Karlsson who do they have that’s capable of putting up a hart caliber year? Who do they have that can play at a 115 point pace for an entire season? If Karlsson leaves their best defenseman is Cody ****ing Ceci. There’s just no one on that team that can carry them to respectability other than EK.
Again, I would not expect them to be as good as we were.

Just potentially good enough to devalue that pick a whole ton

lonelybadger

Feb 22, 2013
Toronto
Looking at the last few drafts with 4th OA picks (I am assuming the sens will be 4th OA in 2019). Would I trade two fourth overall picks for 8 years of Karlsson?

The answer is probably yes. Only way that trade is a win for the Senators is if that 2019 becomes Hughes. And even then you need to look at the entire trade tree and realize Duchene and Makar got us (Basically):

Girard, Kamenev, grubauer, karlsson and ryan. I make that trade every day of the week.

Iceberg

May 4, 2002
The only players i was really interested in this year UFA class were Tavares and Carlson (if he became available).

So, i'm not mad that we only got Calvert and Cole, i'm not mad at Sakic for not getting Stastny or Neal or Bozak, etc.

BUT, if he miss this oportunity to get Karlsson, i'll be really pissed off.

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
I just don't see why we'd take back Bobby Ryan's contract.

Erik Karlsson is 28 years old. While he *should* age gracefully due to his playing style and skating ability, he's also had two major foot/ankle surgeries since 2013. I think he's a top-5 player in the league right now, but for how much longer? Are we willing to go 8x12 for his next contract, and pay him 12 mil per until he's 37 years old? I'm not. Love the guy but that's a hell of a lot of money to be paying a very old defensemen.

Then you factor in Ryan, and Ottawa potentially wanting Barrie/their 1st/prospect. That's just too rich for my liking.

and that scares me...
seems like we've been down that road...

Foppa Frossa

May 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Jack Hughes is still just 17 years old, his game has room to grow and may even have another level. So if your team is not looking too good next season, don’t hit the panic button. Jack Hughes could be coming your way to save the day.
Except for you, Ottawa — you traded away that pick, so good luck.

:laugh:

Gonna love reading that shade during the next season.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
We are probably trading Barrie for forward help regardless of if the Avs get EK or not.

Zadorov - Johnson
Girard - Cole
Nemeth - Barberio
Alt

SadRoyFace.gif

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Fair enough.

I just think the value of the 10th pick is massively lower than, say, top 3

Oh absolutely, you won’t get a disagreement from anyone on that. I’d say there’s like a 90% chance that the pick is top 10 and like 40-50% chance the pick is top 5. I won’t bring up the pick being top 3 because those are unlikely. Basically if we have that pick next year I’m expecting it to be in the 4-6 range.

Echo Roku

Jan 14, 2018
Oh absolutely, you won’t get a disagreement from anyone on that. I’d say there’s like a 90% chance that the pick is top 10 and like 40-50% chance the pick is top 5. I won’t bring up the pick being top 3 because those are unlikely. Basically if we have that pick next year I’m expecting it to be in the 4-6 range.
Maybe.

I suppose my point is along the lines of... if we keep that pick, they will probably resist as much as they can to lower that top 5 chance to a lot less than 50%

But if we give it back, they can tank/rebuild in earnest and the pick has more value

Which makes me think the greatest value that pick will have in our hands is as a trade piece in giving it back to them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad