GDT: Free Agent Frenzy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grigowski

Jul 6, 2016
If we want the best defenseman in the NHL we are going to have to give up Makar or Timmins.

Hard, but true. Ottawa will insist on Makar since Timmins is out with concussion syndroms.....

I don´t think we are, at all, one of the teams involved. Even so, would EK consider coming to COL? THe biggest price is OTT 1st 2019. That´s were it could get tricky.

Grigowski

Jul 6, 2016
Possibly but with the inclusion of Ryan and Ottawa's 1st things might be different this time.

We can´t afford Ryan and EKs new contract on the long run. Rantanen, Zads and our young guns are up for raises soon enough. Overpaying for Cole didn´t help us either if we want to make a run at Karlsson. There has to be salary going back to Ottawa (which is needed for them to reach the cap floor). If we go hard after Karlsson and he sees Denver as possible destination, if feel Barrie will be the odd man out.....

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
We can´t afford Ryan and EKs new contract on the long run without! Rantanen, Zads and our young guns are up for raises soon enough. Overpaying for Cole didn´t help us either if we want to make a rund at Karlsson. There has to be salary going back to Ottawa (which is needed for them to reach the cap floor). If we go hard after Karlsson and he sees Denver as possible destination, if feel Barrie will be the odd man out.....
That would be ideal. Karlsson would be a Barrie upgrade, we would keep both Makar and Timmins and we still would have Girard. And we would look much better salary cap wise.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Not to burst your bubble or anything but the Avs literally needed MacKinnon to be a god for a third of the season in order for them to even sniff the playoffs. The Blues had a great month and a half in the beginning of the season and collapsed HARD in early December and only missed by a single point. They had a top 6 defense while having a horrendous powerplay and bad penalty kill, a starter that forgot how to stop a puck, and an offense that was carried by Schwartz and Schenn alone. Tarasenko had an off year, Schwartz was hurt for a chunk of the season, Fabbri was hurt, Dunn was a rookie, Stastny was traded, and we were filled with 3rd liners. I'm sorry but the Avs are going to have to do a lot more in free agency or their young players will need to step up big time if they want to have a chance at the playoffs.

How did you even find that post? It was 22 pages back and nobody was quoted.

https://hfboards.mandatory.com/posts/147697777/

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
That would be ideal. Karlsson would be a Barrie upgrade, we would keep both Makar and Timmins and we still would have Girard. And we would look much better salary cap wise.
It wouldn't be ideal as we would trade our best D, not to mention that I don't see why would Ottawa do that? To kick the can down the road a little bit and be forced to go through the same ordeal with Barrie in one season? We need to add to the D if we are trading what will certainly be a top 5 pick with EK gone from there.

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
I'd trade a lot for 11x8 signed Karlsson. Dude is the best defenseman of this generation and will be top pairing caliber for the period of that contract.

Makar is nice and all, but the odds of him becoming a top pairing guy are not great. He is just a prospect. Many things can happen with his development. He has the potential but currently he is very far from being sure fire top pairing guy.

If Sakic traded Makar + Ott 2019 1st for 11x8 signed Karlsson I wouldn't be mad. We would get the best defenseman in the NHL.

Z - EK
Barrie - EJ
Girard - Cole
Nemeth - Barbs

Best defense in the NHL?

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
It wouldn't be ideal as we would trade our best D, not to mention that I don't see why would Ottawa do that? To kick the can down the road a little bit and be forced to go through the same ordeal with Barrie in one season? We need to add to the D if we are trading what will certainly be a top 5 pick with EK gone from there.
I neither think the Sens would do it. It would be ideal from a salary cap standpoint.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
I neither think the Sens would do it. It would be ideal from a salary cap standpoint.
The cap will sort itself out, we have Varlamov, Soderberg, Wilson, Orpik coming off the books in the next two years. Rantanen will get a big raise and Barrie will get one as well, but those will be covered by those deals coming to an end. Of others, only Jost will need a big raise in two years, but even that isn't a certainty. Assuming Mikko gets 7, his raise is covered by Varlamov alone, Barrie's raise is covered by Wilson's contract and the money being paid to Soda can be repurposed to cover a part of the Ryan contract if we need to take him as well.

PS

It will be tight, but it can be done. Push comes to shove some tough choices will need to be made, but it can be done.

Eltuna

Nov 12, 2017
I'd trade a lot for 11x8 signed Karlsson. Dude is the best defenseman of this generation and will be top pairing caliber for the period of that contract.

Makar is nice and all, but the odds of him becoming a top pairing guy are not great. He is just a prospect. Many things can happen with his development. He has the potential but currently he is very far from being sure fire top pairing guy.

If Sakic traded Makar + Ott 2019 1st for 11x8 signed Karlsson I wouldn't be mad. We would get the best defenseman in the NHL.

Z - EK
Barrie - EJ
Girard - Cole
Nemeth - Barbs

Best defense in the NHL?
Were at the point where I don’t think a piece like Makar needs to be added to that 1st. Not because Karlsson isn’t worth it, but because no other team is going to offer a piece as valuable as that 1st/Makar, so there’s no need for the Avs to offer both. Just offering one of them means we would be offering the most value based trade IMO instead of a more quantity based trade like I’m guessing most teams are offering.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Not to burst your bubble or anything but the Avs literally needed MacKinnon to be a god for a third of the season in order for them to even sniff the playoffs. The Blues had a great month and a half in the beginning of the season and collapsed HARD in early December and only missed by a single point. They had a top 6 defense while having a horrendous powerplay and bad penalty kill, a starter that forgot how to stop a puck, and an offense that was carried by Schwartz and Schenn alone. Tarasenko had an off year, Schwartz was hurt for a chunk of the season, Fabbri was hurt, Dunn was a rookie, Stastny was traded, and we were filled with 3rd liners. I'm sorry but the Avs are going to have to do a lot more in free agency or their young players will need to step up big time if they want to have a chance at the playoffs.

Boy the insecurity you must be feeling right now... To fill the need to come to another teams board just so you can spout nonsense and excuses about why the Avs suck and the Blues are awesome.

Thanks for the quality input. Good luck with that "Top 6 Defense" next year and good luck with Jake Allen again :laugh:

Remind me again, who beat you on the final day of the season to get into the playoffs? Yeah, that's what I thought.

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
The cap will sort itself out, we have Varlamov, Soderberg, Wilson, Orpik coming off the books in the next two years. Rantanen will get a big raise and Barrie will get one as well, but those will be covered by those deals coming to an end. Of others, only Jost will need a big raise in two years, but even that isn't a certainty. Assuming Mikko gets 7, his raise is covered by Varlamov alone, Barrie's raise is covered by Wilson's contract and the money being paid to Soda can be repurposed to cover a part of the Ryan contract if we need to take him as well.

PS

It will be tight, but it can be done. Push comes to shove some tough choices will need to be made, but it can be done.
Well, I can hardly say 'no' to the chance of having Barrie, Girard and Karlsson all play on my favorite team. PK might be a problem but I can live with that.

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
Were at the point where I don’t think a piece like Makar needs to be added to that 1st. Not because Karlsson isn’t worth it, but because no other team is going to offer a piece as valuable as that 1st/Makar, so there’s no need for the Avs to offer both. Just offering one of them means we would be offering the most value based trade IMO instead of a more quantity based trade like I’m guessing most teams are offering.

I don't know if that's what it takes or not. If it does, I'd do it.

Maybe Ott 1st + Timmins + Wilson + 2020 2nd would be enough.

They want their pick back more than they want Makar I'd assume. Only way I'd give it back if it was the most valuable piece going to their direction in a trade in which signed EK or signed Stone comes back to our direction.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Well, I can hardly say 'no' to the chance of having Barrie, Girard and Karlsson all play on my favorite team. PK might be a problem but I can live with that.

I wonder if the Avs got Karlsson without giving up Barrie if the Avs dont adopt Coopers plans and start using 7 Dmen and 11 forwards more regularly.

That would allow us to still dress all of Johnson, Zadorov, Nemeth, and Cole for the PK. Cole and Nemeth would get limited 5 on 5 minutes basically rotating as Girard's partner on the 3rd pairing.

It seems to work quite well for the Bolts and Bednar has used it a fair bit last year as well.

lonelybadger

Feb 22, 2013
Toronto
I wonder if the Avs got Karlsson without giving up Barrie if the Avs dont adopt Coopers plans and start using 7 Dmen and 11 forwards more regularly.

That would allow us to still dress all of Johnson, Zadorov, Nemeth, and Cole for the PK. Cole and Nemeth would get limited 5 on 5 minutes basically rotating as Girard's partner on the 3rd pairing.

It seems to work quite well for the Bolts and Bednar has used it a fair bit last year as well.

Karlsson is not a forward?

Iracundia

Jun 19, 2011
18 points is the difference between EK and Barrie.

Barrie
Ott 1st (top 5 if EK is traded)
Makar/Timmins

I think we are a much much stronger team keeping those assets vs getting EK. I hope Joe passes.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
18 points is the difference between EK and Barrie.

Barrie
Ott 1st (top 5 if EK is traded)
Makar/Timmins

I think we are a much much stronger team keeping those assets vs getting EK. I hope Joe passes.

Surely you recognize the difference is far greater then just the points the two players provide right...

Not to mention 18 points isn't exactly accurate. Karlsson is a 75-80 point Dman. Barrie is a ~55 point Dman. Karlsson is the greatest Dman of our generation and quit possibly one of the greatest Dmen to ever play the game.

That said, I wouldn't give up that package you listed, but it also wont cost that much either. Especially if Barrie is included. They likely get one of those 3 pieces, and then a few smaller pieces. Or they get something like Barrie + Ottawa 1st but with nothing else added to the deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad