GDT: Free Agent Frenzy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
Yeah the Blues D is overrated. Parayko isn't the lord and savior he was thought to be a couple years ago. Still a quality #2/3 but not more.

Edmundson is fantastic though and Dunn has a tonne of upside. But that Defense is fairly pedestrian. Solid #1, solid #2/3, another Good Top 4 option, and then a couple young pieces with upside but need more experience to take steps forward. Actually reminds me a lot of the Avs defense except Pietrangelo over EJ being the difference between the two.

And that Top 9 forward group is extremely overrated IMO. If Macks line clicks again next season I like our forwards a lot more then the Blues. They also just lost Hutton and now have Allen and Chad Johnson as the duo in net, that's not much of a recipe for success either.

Not to burst your bubble or anything but the Avs literally needed MacKinnon to be a god for a third of the season in order for them to even sniff the playoffs. The Blues had a great month and a half in the beginning of the season and collapsed HARD in early December and only missed by a single point. They had a top 6 defense while having a horrendous powerplay and bad penalty kill, a starter that forgot how to stop a puck, and an offense that was carried by Schwartz and Schenn alone. Tarasenko had an off year, Schwartz was hurt for a chunk of the season, Fabbri was hurt, Dunn was a rookie, Stastny was traded, and we were filled with 3rd liners. I'm sorry but the Avs are going to have to do a lot more in free agency or their young players will need to step up big time if they want to have a chance at the playoffs.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
What price are you talking about? Trade price or contract price? Karlsson is probably the best defender in the league compared to Stone and Erik plays in a superior position. However, Karlsson is closer to UFA and is coming off major ankle surgery. Stone has been getting better and better, is a RFA, and is Senators last legit player on that team if they trade Karlsson. If you factor in all those together, I think both will go around the same price. I doubt that Karlsson will get a blue chip prospect with the addition of Bobby Ryan and I don't think Stone is at Kucherov's level to get a team's best prospect either. However, I do believe we would have to part with Barrie or Timmins for either one of them.

No team will trade for EK without an extension which is why Ottawa gave other GM's the permission to talk to Karlsson. Also EK played nearly PPG for the 2nd half of last season despite all the locker room issues and the team going to shit so that ankle thing isn't a genuine concern, he's fine.

The difference between EK and Stone in term of impact on the game is astronomical. If the trade price is the same or even remotely similar you go with EK 10 times out of 10 regardless of team needs.

hooverdam

Feb 21, 2013
Not to burst your bubble or anything but the Avs literally needed MacKinnon to be a god for a third of the season in order for them to even sniff the playoffs. The Blues had a great month and a half in the beginning of the season and collapsed HARD in early December and only missed by a single point. They had a top 6 defense while having a horrendous powerplay and bad penalty kill, a starter that forgot how to stop a puck, and an offense that was carried by Schwartz and Schenn alone. Tarasenko had an off year, Schwartz was hurt for a chunk of the season, Fabbri was hurt, Dunn was a rookie, Stastny was traded, and we were filled with 3rd liners. I'm sorry but the Avs are going to have to do a lot more in free agency or their young players will need to step up big time if they want to have a chance at the playoffs.

Big talk with Jake Allen in your net.

Reactions: AvsGuy

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
Well, he is their first ever top prospect so I could understand the reluctance, especially if there’s no guarantee Karlsson signs an extension.

Yeah thats how i look at it too, i mean sure Glass isnt the next coming or anything but how does that look to trade your first ever draft pick before he plays a game for you. It just seems icky and poor taste

jaems

Apr 16, 2006
I mean if EK pushes them over the edge (which I don't think is the case), I don't think history would look upon it unfavorably.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
Would you all trade Jack Hughes straight up for Karlsson if hypothetically the pick is guaranteed to turn into him?

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
Tough choice for me because you know what you have with Karlsson, even with his ankle not 100% he put up a ton of points in the 2nd half of the season, but Hughes is still a gamble, he could be the next McDavid or the next Yakupov

arun

Click here to hide this advertisement
Jun 23, 2016
Holland
Some of you guys are a bit weird. You'd say NO WAY to trading Makar but you're fine with giving Ottawa their 1st round pick back?

I'm fully expecting that pick to be a top-5 pick and along with that very good odds at winning one of the 3 lottery spots. I wouldn't give Ottawa back their 1st for almost any deal.

Do people realize that the prospect taken with that pick could end up a Draisailt / Kopitar level player? I mean it's still early but there's more than Jack Hughes in that draft next year. Kirby Dach, Alex Newhook, Peyton Krebs, Kaapo Kaako amongst others are all intriguing prospects that could end up being really good.

I'm a big fan of Mark Stone and I think he'd fit this team pretty well but at the same time, I'm not sure I'd want to gamble that the pick we'd be giving back to Ottawa won't be Jack Hughes. That's the key for me and why that pick is off-limits.

A surprise to no one but it looks as though it's inevitable that they trade EK. I can't see ANY team giving up a player as good as Tyson Barrie never mind adding a lot on of top of that like many of you are suggesting. Teams wanting Karlsson aren't really in a position to gut their team. We'll see what happens but I think if he's moved with B. Ryan the return will be RoR-like maybe 'slightly better' and if he's moved on his own, it will be better but mostly future based.

I think the Avs have more to gain by being patient and letting things play out. As we've seen a Top-10 pick can go a long way towards filling a long-term hole. A lot of people are concerned whether or not Jost will be able to fill that #2C slot or if he'll end up a winger long-term. I think we're about to find out but if he can't then there's a solid chance we'll be in a position to fill that hole at the 2019 Draft.
Total agree. This is basically what I've posted in reply to a user with a German-ish username. I'd love to hang on to that OTT 1st. Even if it were 'just' a top5-10 pick, we'd get a quality kid for secondary scoring to come (as are Jost, Kaut for the future). Sure, it's still a long way, but I'd rather see us go FC Barcelona with their youth dynasty (read: Puyol, Busquets, Messi, Xavi, Iniesta) and have an actual identity, than becoming the current Barcelona squad with frikking Paulinho and Gomes they bought to reflect that 'win-now mentality'. Heck, even Real Madrid went from Galactico policy to scouting youth players like Asensio/Isco and developing them into top players.

Barrie for Karlsson wouldn't do it, but adding OTT's 1st? Nope. Makar? Nope. Timmins? Perhaps. We have a bright future. I'd love EK or Stone, but not at the costs many suggest here. We are a wild card, not a contender and let's not pretend EK/Stone is the one missing piece to the puzzle. They would be if we were 3 years further in this process. But we're not.

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
Nice of this Blues guy to come here to give Avs fans a reality check.

Maybe we should go to Blues board to give a reality check about the cup chances of a team that has Allen as a starter.

Last edited:

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
Makar isn't being included in a EK deal for the same reason that Chabot wasn't going to be included in a Duchene deal.

However, I understand that the cost to acquire a franchise player is really high (unless you're Toronto) and we won't get him for scraps.

I'd consider OTT's 1st pick + Timmins + Compher + 2nd pick 2020 for EK.

That's essentially a top 10 pick + a blue chipper + a young NHL player + 2nd round pick. It should be enough.
No. Timmins should be as untouchable (if not even more so) as Makar is.

Last edited:

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
If we want the best defenseman in the NHL we are going to have to give up Makar or Timmins.
Possibly but with the inclusion of Ryan and Ottawa's 1st (and probably much more) things might be different this time.

Edit: I'd rather trade Makar for Karlsson than Timmins. Trading Barrie instead would be even nicer not only for cap reasons (probably too old for the Sens' liking, though). We don't need all of Karlsson, Makar, Barrie and Girard.
Oh well, Karlsson won't be an Av anyway.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad