GDT: Free Agent Frenzy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
Can the Avs move Makar with the plan of replacing him with the Sens 1st, without knowing where that 1st will be, and how the prospects will shake out in their draft year, and if they'll be available at that pick? That's a fairly big roll of the dice.

Not to mention any D prospect will be two years behind Makar in development time. What happens if they can't come to a deal with Barrie, and Kakko/Turcotte aren't ready for a top 4 role yet?

The Avs cup window vis-a-vis prospect development time needs to be taken into account.

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
Can the Avs move Makar with the plan of replacing him with the Sens 1st, without knowing where that 1st will be, and how the prospects will shake out in their draft year, and if they'll be available at that pick? That's a fairly big roll of the dice.

Not to mention any D prospect taken with that 1st will be two years behind Makar in development time. What happens if they can't come to a deal with Barrie, and they aren't ready for a top 4 role yet?

Still have EJ, Karlsson, Timmins, Meloche in that scenario. I dont necessarily want to move Makar but I'm not opposed to it either as I dont see him as a sure fire prospect either, hes just as big of a wildcard as that 2019 1st imo

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I think we have 5 Top 6 forward if you include Jost.

Carl Soderberg if he gets used properly is a Top 6 forward. He had 44, 48, and 51 point seasons in the NHL before his awful year with Colorado, and then put up 37 points last year playing crazy tough minutes, and with freaking Comeau and Nieto as his wing.

Give Soda some more offensive minutes, put him as the 2C and put Jost on his Wing with Andrighetto ir Kerfoot on the other wing. I think everyone would be surprised at how that line would work together. That's a line capable of ~45 points each and some decent 2nd line production. Not ideal, but for one more year while we await the development of some other kids(Kaut, Bowers, etc.) and wait to see what happens with Ottawa's 1st, I really think it could work.

Then you put Kamenev as the 3C, and Kerfoot on the 4C and role something like:

Landy - Mack - Rantanen
Jost - Soda - Andrighetto
Nieto - Kamenev - JTC
Calvert - Kerfoot - Wilson/Bourque
Wilson/Bourque

Kamnev is good in the face-off dot if I remember correctly as well. Could be a useful 3C for us if he can win 50% of his draws or better.

Or do what RIAL said and try to get Zack Smith in a deal for EK. Then you could do something like

Landy-Mack-Rants
Jost-Soda-Ghetto
Nieto-Smith-Calvert
Wilson-Kamenev-Kerfoot

Which I think would be a nice upgrade over our forward corps last year.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis

Not to mention any D prospect taken with that 1st will be two years behind Makar in development time. What happens if they can't come to a deal with Barrie, and they aren't ready for a top 4 role yet?

There's really no reason this should happen though. Barrie hasn't done anything yet to suggest he wants out of Colorado. In each of his last two contract negotiations he hasn't demanded absurd money. All he's done is asked to be paid fairly, and has ultimately taken less then market value for himself each time. He really doesn't come off as someone just biding his time for the chance to chase the money to a new team. Especially not with his best buddy Mackinnon driving the bus here in Denver.

The Avs shouldn't have any problem signing Barrie.

The Ottawa 1st round pick has a huge chance to fill our biggest hole by far, and not only fill the hole of a 2C but to turn it into a massive strength by adding a franchise 1C like Hughes. Hell even Turcotte and Newhook I suspect will be elite level 1Cs in the NHL very soon.

The last 3 cup winning teams now(Pittsburgh x2 and Washington) have had elite Center depth, basically having two 1Cs down the middle. To me that is the winning formula in this league right now. And the Ottawa pick stands a very good chance at getting us our 2nd #1C behind Mackinnon as well. That's why you dont move it, and why with a gun to my head, I'd move Makar before I move that pick(I dont want to move either though, and have voiced my desire to stay patient instead of over-paying for a winger like Stone a bunch in here already).

Reactions: Bender

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Still have EJ, Karlsson, Timmins, Meloche in that scenario. I dont necessarily want to move Makar but I'm not opposed to it either as I dont see him as a sure fire prospect either, hes just as big of a wildcard as that 2019 1st imo

I think there's an argument for moving Makar if Karlsson is coming back, but not for a forward. It took the Avs forever to finally build their D core into decent shape. They can't afford to lose their best D prospect with the uncertainty regarding Barrie.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis

Yep he is. I think people on our board are overhyping Makar a fair bit right now. Perhaps its because of the Development camp and getting a chance to see him in action a bit the last few days or something.

But people seem to have this perception that he's a cant miss sure fire top pairing Defender in the making. That's not true at all. He could reach that level but its no guarantee. People need to remember when we drafted him, a lot of scouts and people who watched him regularly pegged him as a 2nd pairing Puck moving Dman, not top pairing guy. A slightly less effective Tyson Barrie.

He definitely should not be untouchable in an Erik Karlsson trade. If we can make it work without trading him, then great. But if he's the piece Ottawa insists on, and adding him means we dont have to give up a tonne of other pieces(Like the Ottawa 1st) to get Karlsson, then it needs to be done.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
So since it seems like a foregone conclusion that EK is moving, what are the predictions for where he goes.

I’ll put a flyer on Tampa.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
A fair trade would be Barrie + Ott 1st + Col 2nd for Karlsson + Ryan

For Karlsson AND Ryan I think that's an overpayment. I wouldn't move both Barrie and the Ottawa 1st for that deal. Ryans contract is brutal, and I'm actually someone who thinks he could still be a decent Top 9 player with a fresh start. But that contract significantly reduces the value of Karlsson.

Reactions: milehigh11

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
So since it seems like a foregone conclusion that EK is moving, what are the predictions for where he goes.

I’ll put a flyer on Tampa.

Thinking us or Vegas, Vegas seems really big on obtaining EK and willing to take on Ryan, and we know Ottawa really wants their pick back

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
Yep he is. I think people on our board are overhyping Makar a fair bit right now. Perhaps its because of the Development camp and getting a chance to see him in action a bit the last few days or something.

But people seem to have this perception that he's a cant miss sure fire top pairing Defender in the making. That's not true at all. He could reach that level but its no guarantee. People need to remember when we drafted him, a lot of scouts and people who watched him regularly pegged him as a 2nd pairing Puck moving Dman, not top pairing guy. A slightly less effective Tyson Barrie.

He definitely should not be untouchable in an Erik Karlsson trade. If we can make it work without trading him, then great. But if he's the piece Ottawa insists on, and adding him means we dont have to give up a tonne of other pieces(Like the Ottawa 1st) to get Karlsson, then it needs to be done.

People seem to have this perception that Karlsson is now healthy and won't have anymore issues with his ankle post-surgery. Like Makar, it's speculation that he'll be fine. Karlsson better be for a 10+M/aav.

Sakic will, and should listen to offers but a top 5 prospect in Makar and OTT's 2019 1st is a hefty price to pay for Karlsson. Just seems to me that Sakic is committed to staying younger unless Dorian is desperate and Sakic gets a boatload full in return. I just don't see that happening but hey, you never know.

Reactions: milehigh11

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
So if I'm reading this correctly Dorion gave Karlsson's number to George McPhee? If true then the deal is done and in EK's hands as we speak. Probably down to accepting to extend with Vegas or not.

The Tavares situation must have scared the crap out of Dorion.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I think we stand a good chance as well honestly. My dark horse team to get EK would be Philly. They've got the pieces to get him, and the Flyers have been rumored to be looking for a Top 4 RHD for a while. Think Karlsson would fit the Flyers really well.

We'll see what happens. Colorado, Vegas, Philly, Tampa.... All could be good fits for him.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
People seem to have this perception that Karlsson is now healthy and won't have anymore issues with his ankle post-surgery. Like Makar, it's speculation that he'll be fine. Karlsson better be for a 10+M/aav.

Sakic will, and should listen to offers but a top 5 prospect in Makar and OTT's 2019 1st is a hefty price to pay for Karlsson. Just seems to me that Sakic is committed to staying younger unless Dorian is desperate and Sakic gets a boatload full in return. I just don't see that happening but hey, you never know.

Agree completely. I wouldn't trade both pieces even for a signed Karlsson. Also, there's reason to be concerned about Karlssons ankle, but no doubt whatever team acquires him will have done extensive background work to make sure that ankle is going to last as long as possible. Karlsson was fine this year once he got settled in. By the end of the year think it was back to 100%.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I still think EK goes to Vegas with Ryan. They went all in last year, and they seem to be letting it ride this year.

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
So if I'm reading this correctly Dorion gave Karlsson's number to George McPhee? If true then the deal is done and in EK's hands as we speak. Probably down to accepting to extend with Vegas or not.

The Tavares situation must have scared the crap out of Dorion.

I could see Dorion biting on something like Tuch, Suzuki, 1st for EK and Ryan

Echo Roku

Jan 14, 2018
Why so much EK talk? Have the Avs even been legitimately rumoured as a trade partner?
Yes. I've seen multiple rumors about Karlsson and the OTT 1st being key parts of the deal. Nothing indicated it was being done beyond exploring possibilities, though

Basically, it boils down to how valuable getting their 1st back could be

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Some of you guys are a bit weird. You'd say NO WAY to trading Makar but you're fine with giving Ottawa their 1st round pick back?

I'm fully expecting that pick to be a top-5 pick and along with that very good odds at winning one of the 3 lottery spots. I wouldn't give Ottawa back their 1st for almost any deal.

Do people realize that the prospect taken with that pick could end up a Draisailt / Kopitar level player? I mean it's still early but there's more than Jack Hughes in that draft next year. Kirby Dach, Alex Newhook, Peyton Krebs, Kaapo Kaako amongst others are all intriguing prospects that could end up being really good.

I'm a big fan of Mark Stone and I think he'd fit this team pretty well but at the same time, I'm not sure I'd want to gamble that the pick we'd be giving back to Ottawa won't be Jack Hughes. That's the key for me and why that pick is off-limits.

A surprise to no one but it looks as though it's inevitable that they trade EK. I can't see ANY team giving up a player as good as Tyson Barrie never mind adding a lot on of top of that like many of you are suggesting. Teams wanting Karlsson aren't really in a position to gut their team. We'll see what happens but I think if he's moved with B. Ryan the return will be RoR-like maybe 'slightly better' and if he's moved on his own, it will be better but mostly future based.

I think the Avs have more to gain by being patient and letting things play out. As we've seen a Top-10 pick can go a long way towards filling a long-term hole. A lot of people are concerned whether or not Jost will be able to fill that #2C slot or if he'll end up a winger long-term. I think we're about to find out but if he can't then there's a solid chance we'll be in a position to fill that hole at the 2019 Draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad