GDT: Free Agent Frenzy III: Freer and Frenzier

Status
Not open for further replies.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
Yep, think this is reasonable and prudent at this point.

We are basically going to have to accept that we will always have to build almost exclusively from within, we just can't snag the big fish like other clubs can by free agency, best we can hope for is to get lucky with steals in trades and draft real well.
How sad. Saw the Habs live win 4 cups in the seventies. Raise your expectations.

Reactions: overlords

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
And he will need another one for this. Because the Canes don't have the cashflow. Finally, big market team *****slaps a welfare owner!

It's about time the Habs use their economic wherewithal in some way. Not sure this will do it but it's a start.

Reactions: dinodebino

Phil Parent

Sorel, 'fant d'chienne!
Feb 4, 2005
Sorel-Tracy, Quebec
Also, GREAT JOB SEBASTIAN AHO, I ALWAYS LIKED YOU.

If they don't match, he's our new ace.

If they do, THIS DEAL WILL RUIN THEM!!! LOLOLOLOLOLOL

I wonder if they do an offer sheet dance after their opener next year.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
But let's just take a minute and appreciate the fact that Marc Bergevin actually showed some gumption and ingenuity. Even if I think he went too light and thus we probably won't actually get Aho, he did the right thing. There was an all star first line center in some sense ''available'' and he took a swing, retaliations from other GM's be damned.

I hope he has some inside information that 22 million is just not in the cards for Carolina at the moment.

A Loyal Dog

I love SlafCaulZuki (pronounced Slafkovsky). Woof!
Oct 20, 2016

There ya go. If Carolina wants to be smart, they don't do anything for 6 days, and then sign him once all the RFAs are gone. I hope this is the nail in Bergevin's coffin. Get rid of him NOW.

Zorba

May 26, 2011
DELTA BC
Also, GREAT JOB SEBASTIAN AHO, I ALWAYS LIKED YOU.

If they don't match, he's our new ace.

If they do, THIS DEAL WILL RUIN THEM!!! LOLOLOLOLOLOL

I wonder if they do an offer sheet dance after their opener next year.
But if they do match, no playoffs more than likely for us

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
Bob Mac said that they will have to pay him somewhere in the neighbourhood of 21 million in one calendar year on a team without great amounts of revenue. I think that it will be tougher for Carolina than most of you think.
Correct, which I pointed out in my post. But if you're willing to go that distance might as well go all-in (Which 10.5 isn't even that really, as I think he's worth the 11M + four late 1sts.)

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
But if they do match, no playoffs more than likely for us
I believe this offer is hiding something bigger. Not a trade or a signing. I believe someone is trying to put an owner of a welfare franchise on the spot..

Reactions: Habano

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
No matter what they’re on the hook for the bonus if they match

For one year, is the point I was trying to make. They can't just trade the player at the start of the season after having matched is what I read.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
No, I don't. I think they would match the same deal against the next bracket as well - but at least there would have been some chance with the added compensation and 2 millions a year. Did you know that they apparently had turned down a 9.5x5 offer from Aho already?

What I wanted was a 7 years x enough money for it to go to 4 1sts compensation - to make it possible and keep the cap hit "low".

Why overpay Aho for no reason though? Aho accepted the OS so he likes the contract and our team. Maybe thats the deal he wants from CAR and wants to force their hand but I doubt it.

I just don't really see a reason to up the offer if CAR is going to match or not match no matter what.

I honestly don't think 9.5 or 10.5 would of changed CAR's mind. Its the bonus structure thats going to make them think twice. If they wanted the picks they could go to MB and tell him we will trade for the same compensation if you OS'd at the highest bracket.

Anyways we will see but if he doesn't sign then we will spend the next 10 years debating that 1 or 2 million dollars LOL.

Reactions: Habs10Habs

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
I have been as critical of Bergevin as anyone here but I see this as a good move from him, I think that this will be tougher for Carolina than most of you think. On the flip side, this very well could be the end of Bergevin if this fails, either way this is a win.

Reactions: LaP and Milhouse40
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad