GDT: Free Agent Frenzy III: Freer and Frenzier

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jul 6, 2016
Habs are filthy rich but we always go in half assed. Like today, only I don't think this was even half assed - which would have been the 2 1sts territory 5 x 10,5 - that would have been matched as well most likely.

A bold move would have been 7 x 11 structured in the same way with maximum signing bonuses etc. This was just going through the motions.

Aho wanted a five year deal. He wants to be UFA as soon as possible when he reachs 26-27 yo.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
I have been as critical of Bergevin as anyone here but I see this as a good move from him, I think that this will be tougher for Carolina than most of you think. On the flip side, this very well could be the end of Bergevin if this fails, either way this is a win.

For sure he tied his hands for a week. If Carolina matches MB probably strike out for the summer. His team will likely just miss the playoffs for the 4th time in 5 years while having average picks for the draft in Montreal while an elite local player might be drafted 1st overall. That should be the end of MB.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
Bergevin just lost a lot of respect from a lot of GMs for having the balls to offer-sheet, and HE WON'T EVEN GET THE ****ING PLAYER.

Fire him already.

Not like Bergy will be GM of Habs for next 10 yrs(unless he does get Aho..lol)...so no worries

HeShootsHeScores

Mar 17, 2009
The Canes GM is basically begging his owner to agree to pay the first year, which he wouldn't probably be able to ask if it came from him. I guess it indeed facilitates the tough part of dealing with his owner. If the owner doesn't want to pay, the GM can blame his boss and dodge the heat from the fans.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Habs are filthy rich but we always go in half assed. Like today, only I don't think this was even half assed - which would have been the 2 1sts territory 5 x 10,5 - that would have been matched as well most likely.

A bold move would have been 7 x 11 structured in the same way with maximum signing bonuses etc. This was just going through the motions.
A 5 year deal is not what the Canes want for a young superstar and if they match, they still stand to lose the player when he becomes a ufa while having to pay the player so much of the contract in bonus money. The relationship with the player even if they retain him will probably be a rocky one.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
How does he lose respect for this?

I think Bergevin gains respect.

Habs have been put in a corner after so many years of not being able to sign UFAs. The UFA market is practically closed to the Habs.

So the Habs opened a separate one for themselves. No one will blame them for that. Except the Canes.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
For sure he tied his hands for a week. If Carolina matches MB probably strike out for the summer. His team will likely just miss the playoffs for the 4th time in 5 years while having average picks for the draft in Montreal while an elite local player might be drafted 1st overall. That should be the end of MB.
Either way we look at this as habs fans it is a win win situation.

Reactions: Deebs

Jul 6, 2016
Either way we look at this as habs fans it is a win win situation.

Right now, the team is no better than last season with Shaw, Benn and DeLO gone.

Aho arrival could change that a lot.

No top four LHD yet, though....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad