GDT: Free Agent Frenzy III: Freer and Frenzier

Status
Not open for further replies.

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
Way I'm seeing that offer being enough is if Habs have the assurance Canes wouldn't pony up for that bonus structure. Fingers crossed.

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
Or its an owner that just missed the playoffs 3 times in 4 years whos got a goalie loaded for 10.5m for 8 years that said he wanted to ****ing win before or he bails during habs meeting at the end of the season
Price's salary, was very much bonus oriented. Not as much to pay after thia season I believe.

Summer is just starting. If Aho doesn't work (and I still think it wasn't a hockey move, just because of the money involved), there will be trades.

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
But if it don’t work the habs didn’t improve at all
Same team on the ice. They won’t make the playoffs.
Couldn’t give a rats ass about Dundon. I want the Hans to win
Offer was too low

Zorba we don't always agree , but I am with you 100% on this...I see how this is entertaining for NHL fans but multiple teams improved this summer including within our own division. How does this help Le Club de Hockey des Canadiens de Montreal...I don't see it.

Zorba

May 26, 2011
DELTA BC
If we knew Plan C, we wouldn't be a bunch of putzes posting here. :sarcasm:
Bergevin is the putz. If the offer was higher and the compensation was was two 1st Instead if one and something over 25 million on bonuses, canes would Be f***ed badly

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Dundon is a big boy. He'll deal with this personally. But the team's finances will be in shambles..It's a long term strategic move.

Those guys own more than just a hockey team. They usually own many business and they have very good accounting guys able to make things happen. As i said if you can't match this offer sheet close shop you are wasting your time as an owner.

It's like not being able to pay 150 000 for a house worth 200 000 just because the payments the first two years are higher. At this point forget the house you can't buy one.

Reactions: Doc McKenna

Murky

Jan 28, 2006
Well, I think that the reason that they picked Carolina is because they might have info that we do not. You might be right but it is still a bold move.
Habs are filthy rich but we always go in half assed. Like today, only I don't think this was even half assed - which would have been the 2 1sts territory 5 x 10,5 - that would have been matched as well most likely.

A bold move would have been 7 x 11 structured in the same way with maximum signing bonuses etc. This was just going through the motions.

A Loyal Dog

I love SlafCaulZuki (pronounced Slafkovsky). Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
Bergevin just lost a lot of respect from a lot of GMs for having the balls to offer-sheet, and HE WON'T EVEN GET THE f***ING PLAYER.

Fire him already.

blarneylad

Feb 1, 2009
A part of this was putting other teams and their rfa under the gun.

Get other teams in a cap crunch

Jul 6, 2016
Bergevin is the putz. If the offer was higher and the compensation was was two 1st Instead if one and something over 25 million on bonuses, canes would Be ****ed badly

Their owner is a billionaire they say. If he wants to keep Aho, he will. His arena in 40% empty and he is still making money.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
I think I read somewhere that if the Canes match, they only have to keep Aho for one year and then they can trade him.

So, it's only the next season they really need to worry about.

Yes but in that time the Canes would have paid him almost 22m of the entire contract with how this contract was structured by the Habs. It is a lot of money for a small market team but I still 100% think the Canes match and worry about it later.

Reactions: Doc McKenna

Zorba

May 26, 2011
DELTA BC
Zorba we don't always agree , but I am with you 100% on this...I see how this is entertaining for NHL fans but multiple teams improved this summer including within our own division. How does this help Le Club de Hockey des Canadiens de Montreal...I don't see it.
It doesn’t. All we will hear now is we have good young players. Price said he pretty couldn’t give a rats ass about the prospects. Help us now
Also we will hear wait till the trade deadline cause we have so much cap space
When the canes match, this summer is a huge failure for Bergevin and the habs

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
Those guys own more than just a hockey team. They usually own many business and they have very good accounting guys able to make things happen. As i said if you can match this offer sheet close shop you are wasting your time as an owner.

It's like not being able to pay 150 000 for a house worth 200 000 just because the payments the first two years are higher. At this point forget the house you can't buy one.
The owner is then FORCED to inject money in the team to cover the cashflow issues. It's not as easy as you think it is. And it could mean that someone wants to put the pressure on Dundon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad