GDT: Free Agent Frenzy / Fantasy GM - Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
who are the best ES forwards left?

Smith, Fast, Toffoli, and Wennberg were on my own list.

If we had some cap space, we could have completely rebuilt our middle six.

Smith - Horvat - Toffoli
Pearson - Wennberg - Fast
Motte - Grant - Whoever

Pearson is not a top 6 forward IMO. He completely disappeared and played terrible in the playoffs minus the Minnesota play in.

Reactions: THE Green Man

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
i dont want Granlund at all

Would be perfectly happy with Leivo Gaudette and Virtanen and wrap up the forwards.

On D let the kids play and re visit it at the deadline based on how they do. Rathbone Juolevi Rafferty all have some nice talents give them a chance to play. Maybe Connauton for 850k would be good.

Athanasiou at 1.5 or less would be interesting if they think they can teach him to defend better. We could use a burner to add a speed injection

dbaz

Jan 29, 2010
Sure. But the 200k on an 81.5m cap is a rounding error.
true but.. benn, roussel, eriksson, bear down., thats 800k freed if replaced with league min players. considering players signing for under 1.5mil this year.. plus a sutter buyout on top of that.

just depends if benning and aquilini have that balls

BB06

Jun 1, 2020
who are the best ES forwards left?

Smith, Fast, Toffoli, and Wennberg were on my own list.

If we had some cap space, we could have completely rebuilt our middle six.

Smith - Horvat - Toffoli
Pearson - Wennberg - Fast
Motte - Grant - Whoever

I think it's Granlund who was a horrible fit for Preds or they can go the trade route again. Palmeri (UFA) or Rakell(2 years left)

Reactions: Nucker101

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver

Would be perfectly happy with Leivo Gaudette and Virtanen and wrap up the forwards.

On D let the kids play and re visit it at the deadline based on how they do. Rathbone Juolevi Rafferty all have some nice talents give them a chance to play. Maybe Connauton for 850k would be good.

Athanasiou at 1.5 or less would be interesting if they think they can teach him to defend better. We could use a burner to add a speed injection

At all? Granlund is a good top 6 player...we just don't have room. If the team traded Pearson and signed Granlund for cheap, this is a great top 6.

Miller - Petterson - Virtanen
Granlund - Horvat - Boeser

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Pearson is not a top 6 forward IMO. He completely disappeared and played terrible in the playoffs minus the Minnesota play in.
Yep. I put him down to my third line. Totally agree.

Nieto and Haula are still available.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
I think it's Granlund who was a horrible fit for Preds.
Granlund is my top choice, but there's not enough cap right now. Haula is basically a better/older Gaudette, an offensive minded 3C who can't PK or play tough minutes.

Hoffman/Dadonov too expensive so I didn't include them.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
I dont ever see it happening, but interesting part of the Schmidt deal being for a 2022 pick is that it leaves all offersheet options still available

True. The only one we could afford and that there is a slight chance of succeeding would be Cernak imo.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
Granlund is my top choice, but there's not enough cap right now. Haula is basically a better/older Gaudette, an offensive minded 3C who can't PK or play tough minutes.

Hoffman/Dadonov too expensive so I didn't include them.

That's not true, Haula plays PK. He's not amazing defensively but definitely better than Gaudette in that regard.

Reactions: Bettman Returnz

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
I dont ever see it happening, but interesting part of the Schmidt deal being for a 2022 pick is that it leaves all offersheet options still available

Very good point, did not thank of that at all. Doubt that pans out though since the picks we move out to have the cap space to actually offer sheet someone would most likely cancel each other out. Besides, I don't like the idea of offer sheets and burning a bridge this year with the threat of someone returning serve next year on Petey or Hughes.

I think Granlund would be good as long as it's a 1 year deal. At the very worst he's an extra C that plays wing and can PK as well. May not be the same player he once was but he still has versatility to his game.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
That's not true, Haula plays PK. He's not amazing defensively but definitely better than Gaudette in that regard.
My mistake then, I just assumed he didn't PK since his 5v5 defense is shoddy. Still, he's not someone you want playing tough 5v5 minutes, so in theory I guess he'd work on a 3rd line that's sheltered white Horvat soaks up the tough minutes again.

Would be so nice if they had a center who does what Beagle/Sutter were supposed to do. Johan Larsson would've been a sweet 4C to play tough minutes.

Tv9924

Sep 16, 2012
Surrey, BC
I still can't even comprehend how this trade even happens. I'm convinced I have gone fully insane or I'm dreaming. There isnt a single universe where this trade makes any sense at all.

Why to Vancouver? How does Benning even get in on this when all indications point to him pursuing anyone and everyone who ISNT potentially the best D pickup this offseason and then just has him fall into his lap for literally nothing? He misses out on OEL. Tanev. Barrie. Hamonic. Vatanen. And happily walks away with a player that's better than all of them seemingly due to divine intervention.

The outright only explanation is that Schmidt said he would outright only go to Vancouver, or the other potential suitors that he wanted to play for didnt have the space. Either way, this just doesn't seem like something that is or should be possible. I'm stunned beyond belief. Benning finally looks like he's truly f***ed up this time and all of his overpayments have caught up to him, and then he gets Nate freaking Schmidt as his consolation prize. For a twenty twenty two third round pick.

He-Cant-Keep-Getting-Away-With-It-Jessie-Pinkman-On-Breaking-Bad.gif
This might be my favourite hf post ever lmao im dying

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
At all? Granlund is a good top 6 player...we just don't have room. If the team traded Pearson and signed Granlund for cheap, this is a great top 6.

Miller - Petterson - Virtanen
Granlund - Horvat - Boeser
I dont like the role he would have here. I would rather Pearson who kills penalties, you can throw on the ice in the last minute and is strong along the walls.
And as you said he's out of our budget anyway.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
If Nate Schmidt only gets a 3rd, OEL must have massive negative value. Make them eat Eriksson and Sutter, then maybe we can start talking.

When the Ekman-Larsson thing was going on last week, I said that I wouldn't offer anything more to Arizona than what would be fair value compensation for whatever bad Canuck contracts or salary retention they would accept; i.e., his contract makes him essentially a freebie. I think that opinion is fully justified now. Tyler Johnson is a good player but at $5M x 4 with a full NTC no team in the league put in a waiver claim. Ekman-Larsson might very well be the same at $8.25M x 7 and a full NMC throughout.

This is a good trade because not only is Schmidt a quality player but he fits the Canucks' needs like a glove, better than Ekman-Larsson. The contract is alright, even in this reduced market. A real win that I didn't expect. Schmidt's analytics did come down a little last season; if that was just statistical noise this trade is an absolute beauty. If not, it's still probably a win.

Reactions: FOurteenS inCisOr
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad