GDT: Free Agent Frenzy / Fantasy GM - Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
They CANNOT make the same mistake of moving out Sutter/Benn/Baertschi instead of Eriksson/Roussel/Beagle.

I think the former is a group of better hockey players and they only have one year left.

You eat this year still but try and get out of those other three over the next few years.

They made this mistake in the Toffoli trade when they moved out Schaller instead of a guy with multiple years.
Easier said than done. The cost to move out the longer term cap hits will undoubtedly be higher If you can sign a top 6 capable UFA winger to a short term deal at a good price but need to move out Sutter to make it work, I think you have to do it as long as the price is reasonable. Or if you can find a deal for a top 6 winger who can fit under the cap by trading Sutter +, you have to consider it depending on the player and the "+', if the winger is good enough, I'd add Jake to Sutter to make the package more appealing or trade Jake in a separate deal and use the pick from that deal to attach to the Sutter dump package

I know this roster still has plenty of holes with weak depth, but man adding a Toffoli replacement would really give you some much needed secondary scoring support for the top line. I suspect Pearson will regress a bit this season, Horvat will need another winger on his right side to get that line going offensively.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Right, and in this case, those players are Gaudette and Virtanen. We don’t have the space to sign them if we keep Eriksson and Baertschi on the pro roster.
Sure. The 23 man roster is the 23 man roster. If there isn’t room for both gaudette and Sutter, one of them has to go. Whichever one goes to the minors, the “cap relief” is $1m ish. Or if both of them go down and another player comes up, it’s the same.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Ladies and gentlemen, your 2020 / 2021 Vancouver Canucks (for now)

Miller (5.25) – Petterson (0.925) – Virtanen (2.6)
Pearson (3.75) – Horvat (5.5) – Boeser (5.875)
Roussel (3) – Sutter (4.375) – Eriksson (6)
Motte (1.2) – Beagle (3) – MacEwen (0.825)
Ferland (3.5)

Hughes (0.916) – Myers (6)
Edler (6) – Schmidt (5.95)
Benn (2) - Rafferty (0.7)
Juolevi (0.863)

Holtby (4.3)
Demko (1)

Luongo (3)
Baertschi (2.29)
Spooner (1)
Bonuses (1.7)

Gaudette?

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
I posted this on the main board, but does this look realistic?

Miller - Pettersson - Boeser
Pearson - Horvat - Virtanen
Leivo - Gaudette - Sutter
Motte - Beagle - MacEwen
Roussel, Ferland (LTIR), Eriksson

Hughes - Schmidt
Edler - Myers
Benn - Rafferty
Juolevi/Rathbone

Demko
Holtby

Not bad. Bubble team maybe.

Once the KHL season ends in March 2021(?), the Canucks might be able to roll with:

Pearson - Horvat - Podkolzin
Leivo - Gaudette - Virtanen
Motte - Beagle - MacEwen
Sutter, Roussel, Ferland (LTIR)

*Boeser, Podkolzin, and Virtanen can be swapped around depending on chemistry.

Hughes - Schmidt
Edler - Myers
Tryamkin - Rafferty
Benn/Juolevi/Rathbone

Demko
Holtby

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
I think we all need to send Bill Armstrong a fruit basket for not taking Benning's offer for OEL.
I bet the Coyotes ownership are pretty choked at Armstrong for not getting that deal done with BOS/VAN....I think he blew it...Plus, after you've tried to trade a player from your squad, I think you've pretty much poisoned the well with that player going forward.

Reactions: hesh and Nucker101

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
I think we all need to send Bill Armstrong a fruit basket for not taking Benning's offer for OEL.
I know you were in that OEL Megathread regularly, it feels good to get the last laugh lol. Some of those Yotes fans were convinced that Benning was all-in on OEL(which he probably was at the time) but f*** em :)

Reactions: Peter Griffin

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
I bet the Coyotes ownership are pretty choked at Armstrong for not getting that deal done with BOS/VAN....I think he blew it...Plus, after you've tried to trade a player from your squad, I think you've pretty much poisoned the well with that player going forward.

I'm really curious to know what the final offer Benning made actually was. I gotta imagine it probably included at least the Canucks' '21 1st.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I'd only take him at a contract near the minimum.

I think he or Athanasiou may end up taking a real bargain contract. There’s reasons for that in both cases, but could be worthwhile on a 1 year deal.

Unless the plan is to roll with Virtanen in the top six - which I’m actually on-board with it this is Benning and Green’s plan. Give him the chance and let him run with it.

But I swear to God if we see Sutter or Eriksson or Roussel or whomever playing in the top six...

Svencouver

Apr 8, 2015
Vancouver
I posted this on the main board, but does this look realistic?

Pearson - Horvat - Virtanen
Leivo - Gaudette - Sutter
Motte - Beagle - MacEwen
Roussel, Ferland (LTIR), Eriksson

Hughes - Schmidt
Edler - Myers
Benn - Rafferty
Juolevi/Rathbone

Demko
Holtby

Not bad. Bubble team maybe.

Once the KHL season ends in March 2021(?), the Canucks might be able to roll with:

Pearson - Horvat - Podkolzin
Leivo - Gaudette - Virtanen
Motte - Beagle - MacEwen
Sutter, Roussel, Ferland (LTIR)

*Boeser, Podkolzin, and Virtanen can be swapped around depending on chemistry.

Hughes - Schmidt
Edler - Myers
Tryamkin - Rafferty
Benn/Juolevi/Rathbone

Demko
Holtby

Juolevi-Benn will be third pairing unless they split something like

Hughes-Myers
Edler-Benn
Juolevi-Schmidt

assuming no other D moves are made

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Seriously, the bullet that was dodged here.

From brainlessly giving up assets to take on that horrendous contract to getting a much better player on a much better contract for nothing. What the actual f***.
I think I'm the only Benning is a Moron person who thinks working out a deal for OEL wouldn't be the worst thing.

I still think it - especially now that we have even more leverage.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
I think he or Athanasiou may end up taking a real bargain contract. There’s reasons for that in both cases, but could be worthwhile on a 1 year deal.

Unless the plan is to roll with Virtanen in the top six - which I’m actually on-board with it this is Benning and Green’s plan. Give him the chance and let him run with it.

But I swear to God if we see Sutter or Eriksson or Roussel or whomever playing in the top six...

I think between Virtanen, Gaudette and potentially Hoglander/Podkolzin later in the season, the team has some options that could fill a top 6 role. I'm curious to see what Leivo's looking at. Would have no issues giving him a 1 year deal in the $1.5-2M range to play in the middle 6. That or see if they can get someone like Erik Haula for cheaper than normal on a 1 year deal.

Reactions: Mr. Canucklehead

BB06

Jun 1, 2020
Slater koekkoek in a bottom pairing role? Can he play his off-side?

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Bury Beartschi/Sutter/Eriksson in Utica, thats over 3 million cap savings. Benn should be an asset that can be easily traded, 5/6th defenceman 1 year contract at 2 million.

After you replace these guys with an ELC or something close to it, it saves you virtually nothing.

Maybe Duclair will get desperate.

Duclair sucks. I wouldn’t take him at league minimum. Has played 30 good games in the last 4 years while being godawful defensively.

Reactions: Nucker101

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Maybe now that Benning has found his defenseman, while giving up zero picks in the next two drafts, he'll be aggressively looking at dumping salary using a pick in one of the next 2 drafts? Marc Staal was dumped for a 2nd round pick, surely Brandon Sutter could be dumped for a 3rd or less? If you can shed Sutter's $4M and turn around and sign a forward such as Mikael Granlund, that's worth it IMO.

Reactions: Bettman Returnz

Soups On

Apr 27, 2012
Ideally this team re-signs Leivo, Gaudette and Virtanen.
Pays assets to trade Roussel and Beagle or in a wonderful, magical world, Loui.
Signs Granlund or another FA forward to a cheap 1 yr deal.

I'm not sure if there's any valuable defensemen available in FA. The gamble may be to roll with Benn, Juolevi, and Rafferty. Very dangerous when Edler gets an injury... also wouldnt mind seeing Gaudette get a shot on Horvat's wing

Miller Petey Boeser
Pearson Horvat Granlund/Gaudette
Leivo Gaudette/Granlund Virtanen
Motte Sutter MacEwen
Overpaid garbage 4th liner

Hughes Schmidt
Edler Myers
Juolevi/Benn/Rafferty/lol

Demko
Holtby

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Maybe now that Benning has found his defenseman, while giving up zero picks in the next two drafts, he'll be aggressively looking at dumping salary using a pick in one of the next 2 drafts? Marc Staal was dumped for a 2nd round pick, surely Brandon Sutter could be dumped for a 3rd or less? If you can shed Sutter's $4M and turn around and sign a forward such as Mikael Granlund, that's worth it IMO.

The 3rd traded to Vegas is for the 22' draft, so one of the next two drafts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad