GDT: Free Agent Frenzy / Fantasy GM - Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

dbaz

Jan 29, 2010
Why do people think that burying players I. The minors helps the cap? They save $1m and have to fill the roster spot with another player making a $1m give or take...

depends on whos replacing. if replacing for example roussel with hoglander. that 200k savings and probably an upgrade

Nazzlind

Sep 9, 2010
Lower Mainland
If we buy out Sutter or LTIR Ferland, we should be good.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if we go the LTIR route (assuming Ferland is eligible), we can still re-sign Virtanen, Gaudette, some other near league min healthy scratch types and we should be good. Just need to waive Eriksson, Baertschi, and paper down Pettersson, Hughes, and Juolevi to be under the cap on opening day so we can LTIR Ferland.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
I think I'm the only Benning is a Moron person who thinks working out a deal for OEL wouldn't be the worst thing.

I still think it - especially now that we have even more leverage.

Well let's bookmark it and revisit it in 2 years.

Maybe you can quote me saying I wouldn't trade Eriksson straight up for OEL and laugh at my stupidity.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
D’oh! For some reason I completely glossed over the fact we already had the ‘20
draft. Well still, moving a pick in this draft should be an option to move salary.

It's been a weird year, draft/FA in October etc.

All options should be explored for sure.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Eriksson and a 4th.
Seeing that we got an actual good value better player for a 3rd, I think Arizona needs to accept that they couldn't swindle Benning into a bad trade and if they want to cut salary, they need to do it in a way where they just take the loss short term for the benefit of getting out of it long term.

They'd need to retain at minimum 15% and then take on our bad contracts with virtually no assets attached for it to be a good idea for us.

I think people on this board would still disagree but I'd 100% do it if they took some combination of

Eriksson/Myers + Roussel/Beagle + Baertschi/Benn/Sutter + maybe some B grade assets for OEL at 15% retention.

Gets us out of over $11-14 million of cap this season and $9m the following season.

cc @Melvin that's probably what it would take for me to do it lmao

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
They are about 6.5M under the floor but need to sign Tierney and Brown...they could maybe take a contract like Sutter or Baertschi.
Baertschi could work based on him making like 900K less than the cap hit- but I doubt they'd do that in all honesty- not enough of a crazy differential to bail us out

BoHorvat 53

What's a god to a Kane
Dec 9, 2014
If we found a way to sign Hoffman,

Miller - Pettersson - Hoffman
Pearson - Horvat - Boeser

Would definitely be an above average top-6. That’s on top of

Edler - Schmidt
Hughes - Myers

As our top-4. It’s a damn shame that we got so much cap space locked into some of these albatross contracts as we could’ve actually gone for it next year (and have been favourites seeing how valued cap space is and how much we would have)

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
If Nate Schmidt only gets a 3rd, OEL must have massive negative value. Make them eat Eriksson and Sutter, then maybe we can start talking.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Granlund will be too expensive imo. I'd like to see Haula signed for a cheap 1 year deal and Gaudette packaged with junk to clear cap space.

He's coming off a bad season (30 points in 63 games) and it's a weird, flat cap offseason. I could see him signing a relatively cheap ($3-4 mill), 1 year "prove-it" contract to cash-in next season. Canucks definitely need a top 6 RW to bump Virtanen down to the bottom 6.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Hoffman is a PP merchant. We need a guy that's good at EV.
who are the best ES forwards left?

Smith, Fast, Toffoli, and Wennberg were on my own list.

If we had some cap space, we could have completely rebuilt our middle six.

Smith - Horvat - Toffoli
Pearson - Wennberg - Fast
Motte - Grant - Whoever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad