GDT: Free Agent Frenzy / Fantasy GM - Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
Bury Beartschi/Sutter/Eriksson in Utica, thats over 3 million cap savings. Benn should be an asset that can be easily traded, 5/6th defenceman 1 year contract at 2 million.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Bury Beartschi/Sutter/Eriksson in Utica, thats over 3 million cap savings. Benn should be an asset that can be easily traded, 5/6th defenceman 1 year contract at 2 million.

I think Baertschi and Eriksson are definitely AHL bound. Can’t see Benning dispatching Sutter there, though. If they can’t move him / buy him out, he’ll be on the roster.

Moving him and retaining some salary / adding a sweetener should be doable, though. Still some teams that need to hit the cap floor.

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
Sutter Baerstchi and Virtanen could free up substantial space. Attach Jake to Sutter for a pick and suddenly we can sign a solid forward.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Welp...they don’t have a cap problem anymore. They just have a bunch of overpaid players...and luongo

Edit: hahaha...I guess I was asleep, literally, and missed the Schmidt deal.

Last edited:

Bourdon

Mar 20, 2007
I don't think people are quite grasping how much the pandemic has changed the landscape of the NHL. Money isn't just freely given out or taken in by any organization. For example, people were talking about how Toffoli's deal is a steal. I bet you dollars to donuts that was the best offer Toffoli got.

I think the likes of Toffoli, Stecher, Tanev got mad when we maybe talked about contracts at a certain amount, but when further understanding the market, they weren't worth that and Benning stopped negotiations there. That is probably where the perceived disloyalty stems from.

I have to believe that Schmidt without retention for a 3rd was the best offer Vegas got. Otherwise, why would they deal within division?

JiffyPB

Oct 11, 2018

Sat is echoing Dhaliwal’s sentiments about some cap clearing moves being in Vancouver’s future.

Benn would be one guy I’d have as a candidate to he moved easily.

Sutter could also be bought out after Virtanen’s arbitration hearing if the Canucks are unable to trade him.

Those two moves in combination would clear up a little over $4m in space.

Would rather move Roussel than Baertchi tbh. Roussel has term on his deal and if the coach only trusts him to play 7.5 minutes a night in the playoffs, might as well just have MacEwen do that role. Him and Beagle are the baby fat that really need to be moved than the 1 year bad deals that are going to expire anyways.

Just suck up Baertchi being in the minors for this year. Worst case is he stays there as dead cap, best case is he wants contract termination to play elsewhere.

We are looking at 8 million in dead cap in 2021 minimum. 4.7 million in bonus overages and then 3.3 in Luongo. Truly horrifying.

Reactions: Bettman Returnz

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Why do people think that burying players I. The minors helps the cap? They save $1m and have to fill the roster spot with another player making a $1m give or take...

Svencouver

Apr 8, 2015
Vancouver
I still can't even comprehend how this trade even happens. I'm convinced I have gone fully insane or I'm dreaming. There isnt a single universe where this trade makes any sense at all.

Why to Vancouver? How does Benning even get in on this when all indications point to him pursuing anyone and everyone who ISNT potentially the best D pickup this offseason and then just has him fall into his lap for literally nothing? He misses out on OEL. Tanev. Barrie. Hamonic. Vatanen. And happily walks away with a player that's better than all of them seemingly due to divine intervention.

The outright only explanation is that Schmidt said he would outright only go to Vancouver, or the other potential suitors that he wanted to play for didnt have the space. Either way, this just doesn't seem like something that is or should be possible. I'm stunned beyond belief. Benning finally looks like he's truly f***ed up this time and all of his overpayments have caught up to him, and then he gets Nate freaking Schmidt as his consolation prize. For a twenty twenty two third round pick.

He-Cant-Keep-Getting-Away-With-It-Jessie-Pinkman-On-Breaking-Bad.gif

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Why do people think that burying players I. The minors helps the cap? They save $1m and have to fill the roster spot with another player making a $1m give or take...

In the case of Eriksson and Baertschi - we have a glut of forwards as it is. Sending them to the minors is necessary for both the cap and staying under our roster limit.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
This. It only serves as a tool to send down an overpaid vet and get enough cap relief to call up a kid who's better.

Reactions: iceburg

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
I still can't even comprehend how this trade even happens. I'm convinced I have gone fully insane or I'm dreaming. There isnt a single universe where this trade makes any sense at all.

Why to Vancouver? How does Benning even get in on this when all indications point to him pursuing anyone and everyone who ISNT potentially the best D pickup this offseason and then just has him fall into his lap for literally nothing? He misses out on OEL. Tanev. Barrie. Hamonic. Vatanen. And happily walks away with a player that's better than all of them seemingly due to divine intervention.

The outright only explanation is that Schmidt said he would outright only go to Vancouver, or the other potential suitors that he wanted to play for didnt have the space. Either way, this just doesn't seem like something that is or should be possible. I'm stunned beyond belief. Benning finally looks like he's truly f***ed up this time and all of his overpayments have caught up to him, and then he gets Nate freaking Schmidt as his consolation prize. For nothing.

He-Cant-Keep-Getting-Away-With-It-Jessie-Pinkman-On-Breaking-Bad.gif

It's possible that the player had say in the matter..and McPhee obliged him..?

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
INTERNAL CAP PAL

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
They CANNOT make the mistake of moving out Sutter/Benn/Baertschi instead of Eriksson/Roussel/Beagle.

I think the former is a group of better hockey players and they only have one year left.

You eat this year still but try and get out of those other three over the next few years.

They made this mistake in the Toffoli trade when they moved out Schaller instead of a guy with multiple years.

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
I'm stunned. Where do we go from here now? We can't just make this trade and say "f*ck it, we're done". We're back in win now mode. Need to do whatever you have to do to clear cap space and make another move for a forward.

Reactions: Bettman Returnz

Dissonance Jr

Oct 6, 2017
If Sutter can't be jettisoned, it might be worth looking at trying to move Pearson. Especially if the choice is between Pearson at $3.8 million or Gaudette + one or two other cheap UFAs on one-year deals (is Leivo still kicking around? are there any other bargains left out there?). Pearson's a guy I've got a bad feeling could fall off hard next year, though who knows if anyone else wants him...

BB06

Jun 1, 2020
Wonder if a top 6 forward could be had for cheap on the trade market too.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
In the case of Eriksson and Baertschi - we have a glut of forwards as it is. Sending them to the minors is necessary for both the cap and staying under our roster limit.
But it doesn’t save cap room. It just gives the cap room to another player that fills the roster spot.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
One more time for those in the back, George McPhee isn't the VGK gm anymore. Kelly McCrimmon is.

BB06

Jun 1, 2020
Missing out on Craig Smith and Toffoli in free agency in favor of Virtanen really hurt.

Yup. Really could've signed either one and than move Virtanen for assets and Sutter retained or worst case scenario you dump Pearson. They really dropped the ball hoping they could find a viable top 6 forward via trade of FA maybe a Granlund?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad