GDT: Free Agent Frenzy / Fantasy GM - Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nazzlind

Sep 9, 2010
Lower Mainland
Unless we're signing guys to league min, Canucks can't really do anything until Virtanen's contract is figured out.

Worst case scenario, if we aren't able to move any salary out, only way Canucks can be cap compliant with Ferland on the roster is by:
1) Gaudette + Virtanen < 4.4mil
2) Buyout Sutter
3) Waive Baertschi + Eriksson
4) Fill out roster with league min players

If we satisfy all that, we will be cap compliant.

Quick question, if Virtanen signs beforehand and doesn't actually go to arbitration, do we still get the second buyout window?

Reactions: Cogburn

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Unless we're signing guys to league min, Canucks can't really do anything until Virtanen's contract is figured out.

Worst case scenario, if we aren't able to move any salary out, only way Canucks can be cap compliant with Ferland on the roster is by:
2) Buyout Sutter

Quick question, if Virtanen signs beforehand and doesn't actually go to arbitration, do we still get the second buyout window?

I don't think so, no. And with all indications that they want to get Virtanen signed before arbitration, it leads me to think they aren't planning on a buyout anyway.

If no buyout is available they will either have to make a trade or possibly already have more information regarding a player who will be on LTIR to start the year like Ferland/Baertschi.

Reactions: Nazzlind

BWJM

Sponsor
Mar 16, 2011
How is Mikael Granlund not signed yet.. must be demanding too much. I really don't think he will have a problem returning to his ways.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
How is Mikael Granlund not signed yet.. must be demanding too much. I really don't think he will have a problem returning to his ways.
I’d imagine that he and Hoffman will within the next week or so now that Dadonov is off the market.

Not holding my breath on him, I think Jim is only looking at signing depth guys and making trades.

Reactions: BWJM

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver

2) Buyout Sutter

Gauthier (we agree with his signing)
Gaunce (a heavy bottom six player, averaging at a PPG in his last two seasons)
Koekkoek (can play either side)
Bowey (RD for Utica or as a call up if Woo isn't available)

Follow your steps, I'm hoping for 2.5 for Virtanen and 1.5 for Gaudette. Sutter's buyout (after Virtanen's arbitration is awarded), and burying Baertschi and Eriksson gives us 3.1 million after Ferland is on the LTIR, 1.7 of which goes towards bonuses. We can keep the new, short term, low cap contracts in the minors to be cap compliant before Ferland is LTIR'd, so everything is nice and kosher.

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
Roster right now:

Miller Pettersson Virtanen
Pearson Horvat Boeser
Roussel Gaudette Ferland
Motte Beagle Sutter
MacEwen

Hughes Schmidt
Edler Myers
Juolevi Benn
Chatfield

Demko
Holtby

(Baerstchi/Eriksson buried)

I would look to sign our RFAs at:
Virtanen signed 2 yrs at 2.5M
Gaudette signed 2 yrs at 1.5M
Chatfield signed 2 yrs 700k

Leaves 373k in cap space if this is managements plan based on saying Juolevi/Chatfield/MacEwen are going to be in the NHL.

I'd look to sign a depth RHD for 1 yr under 1M. Pretty much anyone would be better than Chatfield. From there if Ferly is indeed done, we can look at adding a solid #5 who has 1 yr left at just under 3.5M and give his spot to Eriksson/Baertschi.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Roster right now:

Pearson Horvat Boeser
Roussel Gaudette Ferland
Motte Beagle Sutter
MacEwen

Hughes Schmidt
Edler Myers
Juolevi Benn
Chatfield

Demko
Holtby

Leaves 373k in cap space if this is managements plan based on saying Juolevi/Chatfield/MacEwen are going to be in the NHL.

I'd look to sign a depth RHD for 1 yr under 1M. Pretty much anyone would be better than Chatfield. From there if Ferly is indeed done, we can look at adding a solid #5 who has 1 yr left at just under 3.5M and give his spot to Eriksson/Baertschi.
Loui will be on the big club. Green likes using Loui in a defensive role, and on the PK. (Puke emoji)

Reactions: m9

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Well I think you’ve forgotten that pre lockdown they were dreadful. 6th worst record in the league. If they were in the west they’d wouldn’t have made the play in round. If Buffalo played one extra game before lockdown they would’ve made it in.

Got lightning in a bottle because their young kids got up to speed quicker than the Penguins aging stars.

I just have a hard time throwing away 70!games to evaluate the bubble.

I do agree with your follow up that they’ve got a nice young mix and can roll 4 lines but the Anderson deal looks like a Clarkson deal and Price is on $10.5m caphit for 6 years. It’s funny folks here couldn’t handle 6x6 for a 31 year old but 6x$10.5m for an albeit much better pedigreed goalie at age 33.

Any who I see by being signed out I missed some of the preceding conversation.

Trust me when I say that I put zero value in whatever happened in the "playoffs" and didn't even pay attention to it. I am evaluating the team based on their roster; I don't care what happened last playoffs or last year.

Nothing about my post made any reference to the bubble games and I'm a little insulted by the accusation.

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
Loui will be on the big club. Green likes using Loui in a defensive role, and on the PK. (Puke emoji)
Well he’ll have to talk to benning because unless we run with 14f 7d and 2g, there’s no room up front for him without making benning a liar (sending MacEwen to the minors)

even if we ran 14f 7 d 2g, virtanen/gaudette/chatfield would have to combine to make a max of 3.998M. League minimum is 700k. So that leaves 3.298M for gaudette and virtanen. I guess 2 and 1.25M could fit but I can’t see them signing that cheap.

BB06

Jun 1, 2020
JB/Canucks have been fairly quiet after the Schmidt heist. Do something!!!!

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Trust me when I say that I put zero value in whatever happened in the "playoffs" and didn't even pay attention to it. I am evaluating the team based on their roster; I don't care what happened last playoffs or last year.

Nothing about my post made any reference to the bubble games and I'm a little insulted by the accusation.
Well it was never meant to insult.

They were a bottom 5 team before the bubble, I think that should be a factor into what to expect moving forwards. That is why I thought it seemed like recency bias because nobody was thinking their two young Cs were special until the bubble.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
If a guy like Dadnov is only get 5M after back to back 60+ point season I wonder how much Granlund would be getting in this market.

I don't really rate Dadonov that highly. He's an offensive forward with some defensive issues. Although better Hoffman.

I think Granlund actually has some possibility of a bounceback and is a much better defensive player. He's more of a playmaker too, so I could see the fit on a line with Bo and Pearson. He'd come cheaper too.

I see some other people mentioning Koekkoek and I would jump on that as well. He actually had a solid year with Chicago and has the flexibility to play either side.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I like Suzuki but do not get the hype on Kotkaniemi.

Montreal could improve ... but their top 2 D and #1 goalie are also a combined 101 years old. And I don't know if they have a single player I'd call 'likely' to score 50 points if the season was going to be 82 games.

Reactions: travis scott

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
If a guy like Dadnov is only get 5M after back to back 60+ point season I wonder how much Granlund would be getting in this market.
Of the guys left the Canucks should be after if they can fit them in, I have Granlund at the high end of 3-4 and Vatanen at the low end of the same range, or maybe just under it.

BB06

Jun 1, 2020
I don't really rate Dadonov that highly. He's an offensive forward with some defensive issues. Although better Hoffman.

I think Granlund actually has some possibility of a bounceback and is a much better defensive player. He's more of a playmaker too, so I could see the fit on a line with Bo and Pearson. He'd come cheaper too.

I see some other people mentioning Koekkoek and I would jump on that as well. He actually had a solid year with Chicago and has the flexibility to play either side.

Yup I could easily see a bounce back to 50+ points along with a good two-way game from Granlund. Perfect winger for Bo and should come cheap.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016

after dadanov's deal i can see perhaps guys like hoffman and granlund are sitting on decent offers from bad teams while hoping more attractive destinations will unfold.

Reactions: BWJM

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Roster right now:

Pearson Horvat Boeser
Roussel Gaudette Ferland
Motte Beagle Sutter
MacEwen

Hughes Schmidt
Edler Myers
Juolevi Benn
Chatfield

Demko
Holtby

Not sure if intentional, but that roster is one man short of 23

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
The problem with Montreal is that they have 15 million+ in goaltending this year. That's the equivalent of paying 2 top-5 goaltenders and is absolutely ridiculous. I actually was fine with the Allen trade in a vacuum under the premise they were doing it for one year when they had extra cap space.. now that they've extended him I don't see the point. They could have just signed an UFA and not burned a 3rd.

I don't mind their defense.

Their forward group is okay, but where are the value contracts on their roster going forward? They are filled with guys who are probably overpaid and are locked into multi-year deals.

Bergevin's moves since the season ended this year remind me so much of early Benning moves here. Big trades, pissing away picks, long-term extensions before even seeing guys play, giving veterans long-term deals through their 30s.

He sucks as a GM, and when he gets fired in the summer of 2022 this last month will be why.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
I know I should logically be good with signing Granlund but the memories of the other Granlund and his slow lazy useless play are still too vivid.
No part of me wants him, even though I know hes better. I dont want to have any online debates like have about a Granlund ever again. After this post, Ill never post about a Granlund again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad