Speculation: Free agent frenzy day- Who do we sign?

Etch

Relegate the Oilers
Jun 1, 2011
Moncton, NB
We have what, about 5-6 Mil left in salary to throw around? All the top FAs dropped July 1 and we completely missed out except for more bottom 3 players? The best FA left are Seto and Legwand?

I'm extatic about the Ganger deal/Vitale and solid draft, but you have to give Vrby the NMC at that point, especially if he's taking 4 or less per.

I know I'm reaching, but what about a flyer on Heatly or something silly?
Who'se gonna score our goals this year? It sure wont be David Legwand and a 37 year old Doan.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
For those who seem completely fine with a horrible decision by GMDM with the argument that he was streaky. Who do we replace him with? Who is a FA or a realistic trade option that we can get that will have/take the same salary that Vrby was willing to take to stay here if he was simply given a NMC? List 'em for me.

EXACTLY - Gonna be a long season at this rate and having upped for two years, my buyers remorse is on overload right about now.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
http://msn.foxsports.com/arizona/st...om-coyotes-with-2-year-10-million-deal-070214

I agree with Maloney 100% on this. Complete NMCs should go to the top stars only. It handcuffs the organization if you have a bunch of guys with these. DM offered Vrbata what he was worth. He got overpaid and took it. I wish him the best. Now let's make a trade and give our young guys some actual development and a real shot.

A player of Vrby's caliber willing to play here for basically next to nothing is most definitely worth a NMC!

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
We have what, about 5-6 Mil left in salary to throw around? All the top FAs dropped July 1 and we completely missed out except for more bottom 3 players? The best FA left are Seto and Legwand?

I'm extatic about the Ganger deal/Vitale and solid draft, but you have to give Vrby the NMC at that point, especially if he's taking 4 or less per.

I know I'm reaching, but what about a flyer on Heatly or something silly?
Who'se gonna score our goals this year? It sure wont be David Legwand and a 37 year old Doan.

As far as the NMC goes, I believe DM offered the same as Vancouver, but with longer term and less money. He went were the money was. Were not talking about a superstar here, let one of the kids come in and play, and there is still the trade route. Long way to training camp.

goyotes

May 4, 2007
Arizona
I still think we add one productive 40 -50 point winger before the season starts. Teams are going to have to trade away players to fix cap issues. If we can unload a guy like Korpi at $2M, and get someone making over $4M, we may be able to fit that in the budget (or require some of the salary be paid by the seller).

I think GMDM has between $2 - 4M to spend this season. I also think Don wants to keep something in the bank just in case this team out performs expectations and they are around the 8th spot come the trade deadline.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
This thread it seems have nearly run it's course imo, because at this point imo we're looking at trades to improve this situation we're in.

While there is a long way to go before camp, I've seen nothing of late to generate any optimism and am obviously not happy with what has transpired.

Could it be that GMDM is forcing Tippett to play younger players? I really don't think that is the case, unless he's had a change of heart because his rhetoric has always been conservative on that front.

Like I said earlier - time for GMDM to pull a rabbit out of his ars, or we're looking at a long season.

I've paid for years to watch this team and too often needed to seek entertainment with subtleties (as opposed to wins) and am NOT looking forward to revisiting that so soon, particularly when it didn't have to be this way.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
I still think we add one productive 40 -50 point winger before the season starts. Teams are going to have to trade away players to fix cap issues. If we can unload a guy like Korpi at $2M, and get someone making over $4M, we may be able to fit that in the budget (or require some of the salary be paid by the .

Fine idea. Any suggestions as to who?

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Fine idea. Any suggestions as to who?

Boston
Marchand, Eriksson

Philly
Lecavelier

Chicago
Sharp

not sure whether there are any other cap strapped teams that would trade...and Sharp in Chicago may not be this year because Kane/Toews will get paid beginning next season and then Sharp is gone for sure, unless they're going to unload Hossa

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
Boston
Marchand, Eriksson

Philly
Lecavelier

Chicago
Sharp

not sure whether there are any other cap strapped teams that would trade...and Sharp in Chicago may not be this year because Kane/Toews will get paid beginning next season and then Sharp is gone for sure, unless they're going to unload Hossa

And at what cost?

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Nobody knows the exact dollar amount, term, or NMC details that DM offered Verby. The same guys that are pissed about us not signing Verby are the ones upset about the Smith, Ribs, and Doan signings. You can't have it both ways.

goyotes

May 4, 2007
Arizona
And at what cost?

I think we can absorb between $3 - $4M max with combination of trade and salary retention from the seller.

In terms of who teams will be looking to trim, I'm not really sure other than Sharp, Vinny and Big Joe who is on the trade block that hasn't been moved already.

I am a big fan of Sharp, but only if our cost is about $3M.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I think we can absorb between $3 - $4M max with combination of trade and salary retention from the seller.

Depends on who we trade and who we trade for. I betcha we could get a true "six million dollar man" if we package the right assets together.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Sharp, it would certainly have to be Korpi, 2nd Round & B prospect

Marchand, it would probably be Korpi, and a B prospect or 3rd rounder (the B's have zero leverage because they're in cap hell, they'll get the worse deal)

Eriksson, it would probably be Korpi, and a B prospect or 4th rounder (I think it would be tough pill to swallow for B's fans to unload Eriksson since he was in Seguin trade)

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Sharp, it would certainly have to be Korpi, 2nd Round & B prospect

Marchand, it would probably be Korpi, and a B prospect or 3rd rounder (the B's have zero leverage because they're in cap hell, they'll get the worse deal)

Eriksson, it would probably be Korpi, and a B prospect or 4th rounder (I think it would be tough pill to swallow for B's fans to unload Eriksson since he was in Seguin trade)

I think we'd have to give up twice the trade value you've listed (at least) for any of those players. Just because they're pricey and because they're teams are against the cap, doesn't mean there wouldn't be a huge bidding war among teams like us, who can sacrifice cheap assets.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
Nobody knows the exact dollar amount, term, or NMC details that DM offered Verby. The same guys that are pissed about us not signing Verby are the ones upset about the Smith, Ribs, and Doan signings. You can't have it both ways.

I wouldn't have given Smith a NMC. The only thing I'm upset about with the Ribs deal , is giving up so quickly on SO MUCH talent, particularly when we've thirsted for it for so long. I'm fin with Doan - who I would bet would have given Ribs more time.

Can't speak for anyone else though - I' ll leave that to you! :)

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
I think we'd have to give up twice the trade value you've listed (at least) for any of those players. Just because they're pricey and because they're teams are against the cap, doesn't mean there wouldn't be a huge bidding war among teams like us, who can sacrifice cheap assets.

That's why we're pretty much painted into a corner here. So senseless :shakehead

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
UFA Idea:

I have shat all over the idea of bringing Lee Stempniak back to the team over the years. I held a bitter grudge over his playoff disappearing acts, and his overall streakiness.

Having said that, I never really understood what a heavily relied upon PKer he evolved into in Calgary. Short handed threat too. He was a fairly uni-dimensional shot machine as a Coyote, as I remember it. He kept up the crazy shot totals in CGY but he apparently added a really solid two-way, defensive, and PK dimension to his game there.

We need a guy who wants to shoot the puck. We need PK help. We can't afford to spend money on a top player.

This could be a fit.

He's streaky. So is Vrbata. He'd likely trail only Yandle and maybe OEL in shots. We've got plenty of passers. Stempniak was playing nearly 20mins a night in Calgary because he was used so much on both the PP and PK.

Doan-Vermette-Boedker
Domi-Hanzal-Stempniak
Korpikoski-Gagner-Erat
McMillan-Vitale-Crombeen
Chips, Szwarz

Michalek-OEL
Yandle-Stone
Gormley-Schlemko
Summers

Smith
DD

... Not a playoff team, I don't think. But a damned hard working team that should buy in, and play as one.

Last edited:

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
UFA Idea:

I have shat all over the idea of bringing Lee Stempniak back to the team over the years. I held a bitter grudge over his playoff disappearing acts, and his overall streakiness.

Having said that, I never really understood what a heavily relied upon PKer he evolved into in Calgary. Short handed threat too. He was a fairly uni-dimensional shot machine as a Coyote, as I remember it. He kept up the crazy shot totals in CGY but he apparently added a really solid two-way, defensive, and PK dimension to his game there.

We need a guy who wants to shoot the puck. We need PK help. We can't afford to spend money on a top player.

This could be a fit.

He's streaky. So is Vrbata. He'd likely trail only Yandle and maybe OEL in shots. We've got plenty of passers. Stempniak was playing nearly 20mins a night in Calgary because he was used so much on both the PP and PK.

Doan-Vermette-Boedker
Domi-Hanzal-Stempniak
Korpikoski-Gagner-Erat
McMillan-Vitale-Crombeen
Chips, Szwarz

As a plan C or D this may be a fit. I'm hoping Maloney is holding off and exploring some more trade options before we go there. Maybe our 5th round pick looks especially appealing for someone.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Well, I'll give you credit for all your optimism!

I have to be optimistic - I've already reupped my season tix again for two more years.

But beyond that, the past two days around here have been a classic case of Internettus Kneejerkus - and I'm as guilty as anyone else is of succumbing to it. It's like at the games, when people in my section see Yandle muff a pass that leads to a turnover goal in transition and yell, "YANDLE YOU'RE A NO GOOD NO TALENT HACK I HOPE YOU GET TRADED TO THE AHL." It's all passion and heat and precious little analytics.

It may feel like the team is an automatic lottery pick right now and losing Vrby unquestionably hurts. But we also thought when we signed Mike Smith that we were in worse shape than when we had the all-star goalie tandem of David Aebischer and Alex Auld, and look what happened.

The time to jump off the bridge - if we ever get to that time - will be in about six months at the earliest. Right now, we know nothing of how things will turn out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad