Speculation: Free agent frenzy day- Who do we sign?

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Morrow's a solid citizen. Ott is more of a pest. No issues that I'm aware of other than age.

It'd be fun to throw Morrow, Hanzal, Doan out there, but that leaves the rest of the lineup pretty light. haha

Mosby

<3 Uncle Gary
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Morrow is done IMO. I'm interested in Ott but would prefer a player with more offensive skill.

SuperDave21

Hockey Paradise
Jul 30, 2004
Scottsdale, AZ
Morrow is done IMO. I'm interested in Ott but would prefer a player with more offensive skill.

I guess I see Morrow as a return to scenery piece rather than a change of scenery piece, if that makes sense? He would come into a familiar Tip system under a smart GM with a decent core of guys. Maybe Tip could reignite something in Morrow to squeeze another few points out of him. Him and Roy on cheap, short term deals could fuel a decent season with veteran experience and leadership.

I know it's been rather doom and gloom around here the last few days, but I see a team built around key pieces in Doan, Hanzal, OEL, Yandle, Gagner, and Boedker. Mix those guys in with potentials in Domi and Gormley, and add a decent net minder in Smith, and suddenly I start seeing something exciting. I understand that the West got better, but what if they didn't? What if they added the incorrect pieces, and don't really improve over a couple more wins? What if adding Morrow and/or Ott and/or Roy gives us those extra wins we need? It's hard to say at times.

The fact is we're not truly dumpster diving. We're finding key value pieces that work for our team.

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002
I'm just going to pretend Gagner was really a FA signing at 3.3M per. I'd have been delighted if that were the case. GMDM and Regier can find other alienated skilled players with a point to prove.

Dr VinnyBoombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
I think these guys are the only guys worth anything

Name - POS - Age - Team - Points - ATOI
Alfredsson, D. - R - 41 - DET - 49 - 16.93
Stempniak, Lee - R - 31 - PIT - 34 - 18.46
Setoguchi, Devin - R - 27 - WPG - 27 - 15.05
Loktionov, Andrei - C - 24 - CAR - 22 - 12.99

Alfredsson on a 1yr $2m tops contract wouldn't be bad if he was just looking to keep playing this year up through the trade deadline and letting him know that he'd be traded to a playoff team (hopefully if he was putting up pts, you could get a good return)

Stempniak I think won't come back here, and he's one who knows he'll get more than $3m on the open market, so again, I doubt he accepts Maloney's 1yr $2m contract offer

Setoguchi I think could be had on a Mason Raymond type $1m / 1yr to see if he can turn it back around like Mason did.

Loktionov I'd also give that "show me" contract...he only got 13min TOI last season on a bad Carolina team and got 22pts...maybe with 14-15min he should be able to go 30+ and he can play center or wing...giving us options.

Anything that we can do to not have Erat on the top line will be a bonus. If Erat is playing top line minutes, we're in deep crap

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Word on Alfredsson is that it's Detroit or nothing. He wasn't healthy at the end of the season and doesn't expect a decision until August.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Why has everyone just stopped signing contracts? What the eff?

It does seem like the top guys get signed and some bottom end guys (1.5 mill or less) get signed, but many have not. I wonder if GM's are leery of paying 2.5-3.5 mill per year for what is left when a number of teams have cap problems. Perhaps waiting for the right trade and cap dumps makes more sense then chasing the middle tier players that are left and potentially over paying.

Scottyb123

Feb 2, 2010
Yeah you're right, the real fallout won't happen until next season, but they still need to so something to get under the cap right..?

Wonder what kind of move Philly is going to do.. that Vinny contract has put them in a bad position.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Ott resigned for 2.6. At this point it looks like we will be trading for another forward or are giving the kids some spots.

Or signing a few guys from the scrap heap like we've done in the past. Guys with no other options that come here and get big minutes. Hope not but this is still what I'm expecting.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Ott resigned for 2.6. At this point it looks like we will be trading for another forward or are giving the kids some spots.

I'd have loved Ott at that price and term. Doubt he was available to us on the same deal.

Can't believe Sobotka took off on them. Wow.

I'd still love to bring Stempniak back. With Ott gone, he's my number one. Winnik would be okay too. So would moving a pick for Versteeg.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I'd have loved Ott at that price and term. Doubt he was available to us on the same deal.

Can't believe Sobotka took off on them. Wow.

I'd still love to bring Stempniak back. With Ott gone, he's my number one. Winnik would be okay too. So would moving a pick for Versteeg.

I would take Versteeg, but no Stempniak or Winnik.

RABBIT

My Yearly Sponsorship has relocated to Houston
Oct 21, 2008
“Ted’s dead baby. TEDs Dead”
i dont think winnik is welcome here anymore. I think it was issues Doan had w him and didnt he take ODM to arbitration twice?

Really? I never heard this. Interesting. Do you have a link?

Anyone here have any interest in Penner?

Not me. Slow. Doan is slow so he wouldn't work on a line with him, Hanzal is slow so that wouldn't be a good fit either, and if he's a bottom 6 forward (as seen in L.A.) he's practically useless.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Anyone here have any interest in Penner?

No. Rarely plays with any effort. And it's incredibly frustrating because he could be a dominant NHL player if he just worked harder. He was dominant at times as a kid, before the offer sheet. I remember going to a game against Anaheim back then and the entire Coyotes team just had absolutely no answer for this kid. They couldn't stop him. He was a boy amongst men, but looked like a man amongst boys.

He's 31 now. Too old to change his ways for good. Old dog, new tricks.

RABBIT

My Yearly Sponsorship has relocated to Houston
Oct 21, 2008
“Ted’s dead baby. TEDs Dead”
No. Rarely plays with any effort. And it's incredibly frustrating because he could be a dominant NHL player if he just worked harder. He was dominant at times as a kid, before the offer sheet. I remember going to a game against Anaheim back then and the entire Coyotes team just had absolutely no answer for this kid. They couldn't stop him. He was a boy amongst men, but looked like a man amongst boys.

He's 31 now. Too old to change his ways for good. Old dog, new tricks.

I remember watching the Ducks and their "all-rookie" line consisting of Perry-Getzlaf-Penner and thinking, damn, all 3 of these guys are going to retire Ducks. Feels like it wasn't that long ago. Hard to believe it was 5 years ago. Time flies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->