Speculation: Free agent frenzy day- Who do we sign?

Jakeman

Sep 11, 2008
We still have a couple spots to fill and still might make a trade or two after the Gagner trade, who will we sign through free agency come tuesday. I know a goalie is in coming(montoya maybe)?

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Legwand, Vitale, Montoya, and....Vrby.

Vrbata - Hanzal - Gagner
Doan - Vermette - Boedker
Domi - Legwand - Erat
McMillan - Vitale - Korpikoski
Crombeen

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
My shopping list:

- Ales Hemsky
- 1 of M.Michalek/Vrbata/Moulson/Iginla/Vanek(?)
- 1 of Vitale/Ott/Fiddler/Legwand(?)
- 1 of Montoya/Johnson/Peters/Greiss(?)

Players followed by a question mark are likely too expensive, but worth a look if they come down in price. Overall, I'm not too picky about which players, but 1 from each category would be ideal.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Since most of use have been sooo wrong with what DM has done so far, I will go out on a limb and say:

J Jokinen
D Dubnyk
T Gilbert
M Santorelli

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
what we needed was 'quality' PK guys, which is why everyone likes Vitale.

He's going to score like Halpern, but the boy can play on the PK

I'm hoping for Vitale to replace Halpern and then I'm hoping for a 'scoring' winger.

Doan/Gagner/Boedker
Domi/Hanzal/Michalek
Korpi/Vermette/Erat
McMillan/Vitale/Crombeen

Klinkhammer/Chipchura

OEL/Z
Yandle/Murphy
Gormley/Stone

Schlemko/Summers

Smith
Montoya

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I don't think we'll sign anyone til day 3. We'll pick among the leftovers for a bargain/value. I really don't have a problem with that either, given the circumstances.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I don't think we'll sign anyone til day 3. We'll pick among the leftovers for a bargain/value. I really don't have a problem with that either, given the circumstances.

I dunno... GMDM has always been one of the earliest to pull the trigger on contracts in the past few seasons of FA.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Yes, but he always went after guys that were on the bottom of the FA pile.

From the sound of things, Michalek, Vanek, Kulemin, Grabo, Iginla and the rest of the upper tier guys are all getting several offers, 99.9% sure they are greater than Arizona.

Which means we'll need to settle into the fact we're hunting for the retreads like Richards or Legwand, which wouldn't be bad options.

I'd like to have Vrbata back, but he hasn't been that successful in the playoffs, so I think Donny is going to try something different.

I can see Pittsburgh signing Vrbata for $5.5m to play along side Malkin or Crosby

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
I actually wouldn't mind trading for Vinny if Philly would take back both Korpi and Chipchura.

Vinny can score goals and I know he had a bad year in Philly, but he didn't complain and was captain down in Tampa before so he should be a good locker room guy and he'd be a good option to center the first line and he's not small.

I know we just got Gagner, but he can be moved to wing, he wouldn't have to take face-offs and he could be the Whitney for Hanzal & Boedker

We could then put Domi/Vinny/Doan as the top line.

Last edited:

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Vinny can score goals and I know he had a bad year in Philly

He didn't just have a "bad year"

He is completely spent as a player, and can barely hold down a bottom six job. Not only can he not be a top line center, but there are about a half dozen better options out there for the role he could maybe actually fill. And they're all cheaper.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad