Speculation: Free agent frenzy day- Who do we sign?

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Sharp, it would certainly have to be Korpi, 2nd Round & B prospect

Marchand, it would probably be Korpi, and a B prospect or 3rd rounder (the B's have zero leverage because they're in cap hell, they'll get the worse deal)

Eriksson, it would probably be Korpi, and a B prospect or 4th rounder (I think it would be tough pill to swallow for B's fans to unload Eriksson since he was in Seguin trade)

Why would any of those teams make those trades? Especially Chicago?? Leading scorer for Korpi a pick and mediocre prospect?

If Marchand or Eriksson ship out, I think they'll pull in more than Korpi a prospect and a midround pick.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Spezza went for Chiasson, Guptill, Paul and a 2nd rounder

Ottawa isn't in cap hell, although Spezza requested a trade.

Granted Korpi isn't as good as Chiasson, but the B prospect I guess would need to be better than Guptill & Paul

Yes, we will probably lose out on a bidding war w/other teams. I'm just saying the package that I stated is what Maloney would give up. He's not going to give up Gormley, Murphy, Samuelsson, Perlini. Maybe it goes up to a Dauphin or MacInnis, but that is where it would stop.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
I have to be optimistic - I've already reupped my season tix again for two more years.

But beyond that, the past two days around here have been a classic case of Internettus Kneejerkus - and I'm as guilty as anyone else is of succumbing to it. It's like at the games, when people in my section see Yandle muff a pass that leads to a turnover goal in transition and yell, "YANDLE YOU'RE A NO GOOD NO TALENT HACK I HOPE YOU GET TRADED TO THE AHL." It's all passion and heat and precious little analytics.

It may feel like the team is an automatic lottery pick right now and losing Vrby unquestionably hurts. But we also thought when we signed Mike Smith that we were in worse shape than when we had the all-star goalie tandem of David Aebischer and Alex Auld, and look what happened.

The time to jump off the bridge - if we ever get to that time - will be in about six months at the earliest. Right now, we know nothing of how things will turn out.

I too have re upped for two and the horror of what I fear game after game has had the opposite effect on me. :). It's not knee jerk. We are in a tight spot (to put it INCREDIBLY mildly) with little hope ( that I can see) of squeezing out. I've been around this game over 40 years now and while I pale vs the likes of GMDM, I see a bad moon rising here.

In the end this is just a game and a minor irritation.

Last edited:

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto

Granted Korpi isn't as good as Chiasson, but the B prospect I guess would need to be better than Guptill & Paul

Yes, we will probably lose out on a bidding war w/other teams. I'm just saying the package that I stated is what Maloney would give up. He's not going to give up Gormley, Murphy, Samuelsson, Perlini. Maybe it goes up to a Dauphin or MacInnis, but that is where it would stop.

I suspect we would've had to move Boedker in a deal for Spezza.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I too have re upped for two and the horror of what I fear game after game has had the opposite effect on me. :). It's not knee jerk. We are in a tight spot (to put it INCREDIBLY mildly) with little hope ( that I can see) of squeezing out. I've been around this game over 40 years now and while I pale vs the likes of GMDM, I see a bad moon rising here.

In the end this is just a game and a minor irritation.

For being a minor irritation you are sure upset. Cheering for Gormley this year might help you.:)

letowskie

Aug 16, 2002
In your worst nighmare
Visit site

I don't think Ott wanted to bring bottom 6 players back. One of their main objectives to trade would be to to fill out the top-6, since they have no one to play with Zib right now.

cactus shake

Oct 22, 2013
Obviously a long time to go before the start of the season, but I think the dealings so far bring into question how the budget was managed in that first year. I understand the lure of playoff money & not wanting to rule yourself out of contention by selling at the deadline, but judging by how tight the budget looks this season, surely standing pat at the trade deadline for the second straight year was too big a gamble to take. Especially considering the little we know now about team chemistry at that point. [/master of hindsight]

As said before, we seem to be in limbo between being not quite as money smart as during the real penny pinching league-ownership days & not being able to spend our way into contention. Another draft pick next year between 10-14 would be really worrying. [edit: sorry to pile-on with the negativity, the curse of different time zones].

Last edited:

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Returns next year should be more immediate. If it's more of the same, I expect Maloney and Regier to start cutting bait midway through the season. If they come out of the slump, they'll ride them until the trade deadline and reassess.

The worst thing that can happen to this franchise is a 10-15 pick, missing the playoffs, and nobody traded at the deadline. That simply cannot happen. Either you are competitive or you are not. If the Coyotes are in the bottom third of the league at the halfway point then it's time to start finding some guys a new home.

There's too much at stake in this upcoming draft. If you're going to be bad, you need to be top 5 bad. McDavid or Eichel could literally save this franchise.

I hope our "owners" are smart enough to realize that and let management do what is best for the long term if it indeed comes to that.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
The only problem is there are a lot of other teams that are thinking the same thing, getting into the bottom 5 might be harder than getting into the playoffs this season.

DesertDawg

Mar 6, 2002
Superstition Mts
ridefree.net
I still think Legwand would be a good pick-up
Thinking about Legwand Hanzal Erat together for those defensive match-ups
as well as centering with Gagner as a wing in different circumstances. I like that versatility. But it all depends in what he is asking.

Muppet

7th Round Pick
Mar 13, 2011
I still think Legwand would be a good pick-up
Thinking about Legwand Hanzal Erat together for those defensive match-ups
as well as centering with Gagner as a wing in different circumstances. I like that versatility. But it all depends in what he is asking.
This. I'd feel a lot more comfortable if we added Legwand. Previous chemistry with Erat, and he's a natural center, so in the event of Gagner horribly failing at center, Legwand is there.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
The only problem is there are a lot of other teams that are thinking the same thing, getting into the bottom 5 might be harder than getting into the playoffs this season.

Honestly I can only think of Buffalo, Ott, Calgary, maybe Florida who look very iffy going into the season. Islanders don't have a 1st so hopefully they play like they have nothing to lose. We will see what the rest of the offseason brings

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
Obviously a long time to go before the start of the season, but I think the dealings so far bring into question how the budget was managed in that first year. I understand the lure of playoff money & not wanting to rule yourself out of contention by selling at the deadline, but judging by how tight the budget looks this season, surely standing pat at the trade deadline for the second straight year was too big a gamble to take. Especially considering the little we know now about team chemistry at that point. [/master of hindsight]

As said before, we seem to be in limbo between being not quite as money smart as during the real penny pinching league-ownership days & not being able to spend our way into contention. Another draft pick next year between 10-14 would be really worrying. [edit: sorry to pile-on with the negativity, the curse of different time zones].

Our best days were during league ownership. The belief (mandated by GMDM imo, as opposed to the league) was that we can't afford to lose in this market. I still believe that we can't afford to lose in this market. With our puck moving D, we were a few mere forwards away from being very competetive. What is happening here is a real shame, wherever the blame lies.

I don't think you're being negative and certainly would not worry about it. I am an extremely positive person, but also a realist. The realist believes we have really screwed the pooch here. The positive side of me will be at every game believing that with the right chemistry and effort the boys on the ice can win. Problem is: The realist knows just how hard to latter is to attain - that's why skill doesn't always equate to the Cup.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
Honestly I can only think of Buffalo, Ott, Calgary, maybe Florida who look very iffy going into the season. Islanders don't have a 1st so hopefully they play like they have nothing to lose. We will see what the rest of the offseason brings

Florida should be much improved and I just saw their cap hit this morning - I believe it's like three over ours?

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Down to the dregs of the UFA forward market. Unsigned forwards that put up at least 10 points last season (note: some of these guys may retire):

Name - POS - Age - Team - Points - ATOI
Alfredsson, D. - R - 41 - DET - 49 - 16.93
Roy, Derek - C - 31 - STL - 37 - 13.62
Penner, Dustin - L - 31 - WAS - 35 - 14.47
Stempniak, Lee - R - 31 - PIT - 34 - 18.46
Whitney, Ray - L - 42 - DAL - 32 - 13.96
Winnik, Daniel - L - 29 - ANA - 30 - 15.39
Heatley, Dany - L - 33 - MIN - 28 - 14.82
Setoguchi, Devin - R - 27 - WPG - 27 - 15.05
Morrow, Brenden - L - 35 - STL - 25 - 11.9
Smyth, Ryan - L - 38 - EDM - 23 - 15.42
Ott, Steve - C - 31 - STL - 23 - 18.23
Moss, David - R - 32 - ARI - 22 - 14.65
Loktionov, Andrei - C - 24 - CAR - 22 - 12.99
Byron, Paul - C - 25 - CGY - 21 - 14.44
Booth, David - L - 29 - VAN - 19 - 13.47
Gibbons, Brian - R - 26 - PIT - 17 - 11.94
Galiardi, T.J. - L - 26 - CGY - 17 - 14.61
Bertuzzi, Todd - R - 39 - DET - 16 - 14.65
Handzus, Michal - C - 37 - CHI - 16 - 13.65
Malone, Ryan - L - 34 - TBL - 15 - 11.78
Leino, Ville - L - 30 - BUF - 15 - 14.43
D'Agostini, Matt - R - 27 - BUF - 12 - 14.85
Halpern, Jeff - C - 38 - ARI - 12 - 10.29
Bowman, Drayson - L - 25 - CAR - 12 - 10.36
Gomez, Scott - C - 34 - FLA - 12 - 13.13
Carter, Ryan - L - 30 - NJD - 10 - 11.33
Halischuk, Matt - R - 26 - WPG - 10 - 11.34
Bodie, Troy - L - 29 - TOR - 10 - 8.62

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Free agency wise, I'd target Stempniak, maybe Ott or Winnik, if he was cheap.

After that there are a few guys that are good utility guys for the lower lines that have a tiny bit of upside, have played 100-200 games in the NHL, and MIGHT possibly grow into a biggger role. These are guys you could plug into the bottom six and replace Chip or Klink, etc.

I wouldn't mind trying:

Bowman
Galiardi
Halischuk
Loktionov

There are other guys who might be half-decent bandaids, but I'd rather give Lessio or Perlini a real shot on the roster if this is the road we're taking.

Naych_PHX

Hey now!
Jun 14, 2004
phoenix
Yes, I forgot about Ott. I would take him. Unless he's secretly regressed majorly in the last year? Not a scorer but a guy I've always loved to hate on Dallas.

Surprised Legwand got just 3mill and that he wanted to go to.. Ottawa? I guess he feels he can be a #2 C there? Kinda confused on that one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad