Speculation: Free agent frenzy day- Who do we sign?

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Everyone including myself is just frustrated at the entire situation...watching other teams spend gobs of money on talented players while we let our talented players go because they don't fit into our internal budget.

There are going to be emotions flowing on both sides...and each is ok...because it represents "passion" as a fan base. Nothing wrong with that.

I'm not frustrated.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Verby got 5 mil per year and an NMC. DM was not willing to go that high in money or give him a solid NMC. DM could only offer more years at less money. We don't know if it was 3 or 4 years, and we don't know the dollar amount. It could have been at 4.5 mill or 3.5 mill per year, we don't know. Would you have signed Verby for 4.75 mill and give him the full NMC for 2 years? I wouldn't and that is what it would have taken, I think, to keep him.

As for a change in policy on NMC's, I think it is a good change. We were stuck with Ribs, we are stuck with Smith, and we are stuck with Doan. Lets not forget on a good team, Verby is a second line player. While I wish we still had him, this was all about the money. Verby thinks he can get another deal in 2 years. I am sure nobody else offered him more than 5 mill per year, or even close to it. Does anybody think he went to the Canucks because they will have a great team this year?

Verby went to the highest bidder, 99% of the time, they all do, is what it is, time to move on.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Be happy for Vrbata, he got what more than he thought he would.

Keith Yandle and Martin Hanzal are going to remember how this negotiation went down. There's more at stake here than just a streaky player staying.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Verby got 5 mil per year and an NMC. DM was not willing to go that high in money or give him a solid NMC. DM could only offer more years at less money. We don't know if it was 3 or 4 years, and we don't know the dollar amount. It could have been at 4.5 mill or 3.5 mill per year, we don't know. Would you have signed Verby for 4.75 mill and give him the full NMC for 2 years? I wouldn't and that is what it would have taken, I think, to keep him.

As for a change in policy on NMC's, I think it is a good change. We were stuck with Ribs, we are stuck with Smith, and we are stuck with Doan. Lets not forget on a good team, Verby is a second line player. While I wish we still had him, this was all about the money. Verby thinks he can get another deal in 2 years. I am sure nobody else offered him more than 5 mill per year, or even close to it. Does anybody think he went to the Canucks because they will have a great team this year?

Verby went to the highest bidder, 99% of the time, they all do, is what it is, time to move on.

Thank you. Time we stop looking in the mirror.

Last edited:

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I wonder how cheap Ott would be. He'd really come in handy when Hanzal is injured.

Sign Ott for 2yrs 6mil (if we're incredibly lucky, and he's desperate)

Trade Klinkhammer for Moen. Waive Schlemko. Buy out Chipchura.

Doan-Gagner-Erat
Domi-Vermette-Boeds
Ott-Hanzal-Korpikoski
Moen-Vitale-Crombeen
McMillan, Szwarz

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Read the Morgan article. It was clear that Radim was bending over backward for this organization and walked when Maloney proved unreasonable.

Already read it. Radim might have felt like he was bending over backwards but again we don't know the terms or money, only speculation. All we know for sure is the deal he signed, but we don't know what DM offered.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Keith Yandle and Martin Hanzal are going to remember how this negotiation went down. There's more at stake here than just a streaky player staying.

Come on now, I'm sure they are happy for Vrbata and no one knows what the circumstances will be in the future.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Meh. My interest in Vrbata was pretty lukewarm. The latest disappearing act just seemed to leave a bitter taste. I'm willing to gamble our remaining budget on a new winger.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
I wonder how cheap Ott would be. He'd really come in handy when Hanzal is injured.

Ott has had 39, 24 and 23 pts his last 3 seasons...he's on the downward size of getting points and on the wrong side of 30. If we can't give Vrby $3m, I'm sure as hell not going to give it to Ott.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
It's time for Maloney to start working the trade angles with the cap teams.

As RT said, Brouwer should be the first choice. I'd take Vinny in a trade with salary retention as well, it would have to be for Korpi though, since he's owed $2.5m for another 3 years.

HanzalSoHotRightNow

Mar 23, 2013
East Lansing
You can say he dissapeared and spin it any way you want but the fact of the matter is Vrbata had 67 goals and had 141 pointsin the last 3 seasons...Maloney had no business letting him walk.

Last edited:

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
You can say he dissapeared and spin it any way you want but the fact of the matter is Vrbata had 67 goals and had 141 points of the last 3 seasons...Maloney had no busy letting him walk.

This. Any way you look at it, he's been the best forward for this team in recent times. He will be missed, and Maloney better have a good plan in place.

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
For those who seem completely fine with a horrible decision by GMDM with the argument that he was streaky. Who do we replace him with? Who is a FA or a realistic trade option that we can get that will have/take the same salary that Vrby was willing to take to stay here if he was simply given a NMC? List 'em for me.

cobra427

May 6, 2012

Life long young Coyotes that are a premier PMD, and Big C, will get more years, more money, and a better NMC provision, then a 33 year old winger that left for more money once, didn't work out, came back and had a good 3 years, then left for the highest bidder. Yandle and Hanzal will be thinking about how well Doan has been treated not Verby's treatment.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
For those who seem completely fine with a horrible decision by GMDM with the argument that he was streaky. Who do we replace him with? Who is a FA or a realistic trade option that we can get that will have/take the same salary that Vrby was willing to take to stay here if he was simply given a NMC? List 'em for me.

From a talent level there is only 1 in my book. Heatley (unsure whether he passes the character test though)

Setoguchi and the rest of them are miles behind.

DesertDawg

Mar 6, 2002
Superstition Mts
ridefree.net
A limited NTC vs NMC? I don't know what the real difference is other than if you play like crap, a NMC pretty much insulates you, we found that out recently. IMO, Radim took the money. The real difference is the Coyotes were willing to give him term. I still think that Legwand would be a better fit as long as he can be signed cheaper than what RV took.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad