GDT: Free Agent Frenzy: 2022-23 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedRocking

Jan 8, 2022
NoCal
Really like the Strome signing. I feel like the board willed that into existence from earlier in the day. Nice to get the C depth we need, and I like his game/age/salary.

Depending on whether they think CMM/Protas can hold down 3C, maybe time to say goodbye to the Tiger.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
God dammit.

Not a fan of this at all. He reminds me of RNH a little bit in play style, can't stand watching these kinds of tweener centers.
I dunno. We now have a group of young centermen with various levels of upside potential and NHL experience. Strome is easily the most experienced of the bunch while still being solidly in the CMM/Jimi/Protas/Leason age-range. Seems like a fairly high-class problem to me.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
A young center on the cheap. Ill take it

The tryouts for 2C will be fun. I think the job is open for who has the best camp. I hope its not Eller lol

Reactions: Calicaps

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
Great pickup. This will fill Nicky's position. I want them to deal Eller and let CMM take that spot.

Jags

Mildly Disturbed
May 5, 2016
Central Florida
Agree and disagree. Was a fan before Ovi and will be after he hangs 'em up. But right now, today, seeing our captain and GOAT player break the unbreakable record is something I'd have never imagined would be possible. I waited >40 years for Cup #1 so I know it both could happen again in my lifetime and might not. But the record is beyond once-in-a-lifetime.

I hear ya, and I want 895, too. Keep in mind that I was replying to "I don't give a f*** about anything but 895..."

My focus isn't that narrow, and I don't think 895 is something to fret over because we know for sure that Ovi's going to give it his best shot and the club is going to do whatever it can to help him. And all they can really do is make sure he has the linemates -- specifically just the players he's on the ice with -- to help him do his thing. Only regular season goals count, so it doesn't matter if we're 82-0 or 0-82, if he's on the ice with 5 quality guys and gets his PP time, it's up to him.

Because I give a f*** about more than 895, I would rather go 82-0 and for the team not to suck when Ovi's done. I agree with everything you said, I just don't think it has to be one or the other.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
I hear ya, and I want 895, too. Keep in mind that I was replying to "I don't give a f*** about anything but 895..."

My focus isn't that narrow, and I don't think 895 is something to fret over because we know for sure that Ovi's going to give it his best shot and the club is going to do whatever it can to help him. And all they can really do is make sure he has the linemates -- specifically just the players he's on the ice with -- to help him do his thing. Only regular season goals count, so it doesn't matter if we're 82-0 or 0-82, if he's on the ice with 5 quality guys and gets his PP time, it's up to him.

Because I give a f*** about more than 895, I would rather go 82-0 and for the team not to suck when Ovi's done. I agree with everything you said, I just don't think it has to be one or the other.
Fair. I long ago accepted that there'd be a lot of pain when Ovie retires. But I'd love to be wrong. And yes, I'll happily take all the good things!

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden
I cant remember the last time I was this pleased with an off season.
Injury woes aside, I like the Caps roster going in to the season, damn solid.

Reactions: ClevelandCapsfan

LesDiablesRouges

Feb 9, 2019

Oh I absolutely agree with you too.

But, if you told me right now, after winning in 2018: another Cup or Ovi breaking 895? 895 all day. Just my opinion though.

LesDiablesRouges

Feb 9, 2019
Thats loser talk. I want cups!!
And, if this team wins another Cup in Ovi's last few years, that's great. But, as the team is currently constructed, it's not happening. They would need to go all-in for that to happen and also have a good run. I think it's far more likely as of today that Ovi breaks 895 than we win another Cup with Ovi. If we go all-in without depleting the prospect pool and future too much? It's possible.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Why ya gotta be all mean about it? ;)

I don't think anyone's doing that. MacLellan said things publicly that made it sound like he might be leaning that way. So I don't think anyone's trying to justify it. Most of the posts I've read here agree with you that they'd like to spend it and make at least one more big splash before October. What I'm seeing are people reacting to what he said, speculating about what that might mean going forward, and not being reactionary assholes about something that hasn't happened yet and might not happen at all.

If we want to make the move(s) you want to make, the salary we'd have to realistically move out would be prohibitive unless we want to limit our LTIR pool. And I stress 'realistically' because, no, we're not at all likely to move Carlson no matter how many more times you want to carp about it.

Limiting LTIR isn't the end of the world. It'd be manageable. And I'd say about half of the people posting today agree with your feeling that we should make the most of this rare opportunity to add the best players we can this year and deal with the fallout next summer. Only a couple seem to fully oppose that, and probably most of us think it should still be done intelligently even if we're aggressive about it.

But acknowledging MacLellan's apparent reluctance and not damning him outright for it doesn't mean that the fan base is trying to justify it. You, on the other hand, are beating him over the head with contempt for something he hasn't done yet. This isn't Minority Report. You should really wait until someone commits a crime before you hang them for it...
Re-parsing your post a bit here, it seems there's two things you're upset about.
1) You're upset about me making judgements before the entire off-season is complete - "hanging GMBM for a crime before he commits it" so to speak.
2) There's a certain degree of actual hockey content/decision making/team direction you disagree with.

Speaking to point 1 first:
There's a couple different reasons here. First off, some of what has happened is already finalized. The opportunity to make certain trades or signings has already passed. We can't go back in time and sign a player that another team signed, or trade for a player that another team traded for. We can't get value for the former 1st round pick that they let walk anymore. We can't acquire Max Pacioretty for "future considerations" now that a division rival has already done so. There's an opportunity cost associated with not spending Backstrom's LTIR money on free agency day, and those actions have already taken place.

Secondly, and perhaps even more pertinently, when am I supposed to express my opinions? Because you know as well as I do that some of the status quo defenders and company liners around here won't be any more receptive to it a week or a month or a year from now than they are today. "Well let's see what he does the rest of the off-season" becomes "Well, who knows if that move was an option for the Capitals?" becomes "Let's see how things unfold in training camp" becomes "I will reserve final judgement until I see this roster on the ice" becomes "Slumps happen, let's see what the team is like after the holidays" becomes "Let's see what they do at the trade deadline" becomes "It's the Playoffs the new season the Second Season where upsets happen every year" etc etc etc.
You know it's true. Two of those are direct quotes from some of the posters I'm alluding to. Some of the folks around here will always find a reason to push off judgement until later.

And Thirdly, I'm making an educated guess. Same as every other poster who's been discussing LTIR rules, cap projections, and GMBM's statements regarding Backstrom's LTIR status. We all see a team that spent to $870K above the Carl Hagelin's LTIR exemption with 15 forwards on the roster and are putting 2 and 2 together. Cut one forward to meet roster requirements, and suddenly we have a roster that fits GMBM's press conference statements about not spending Nicky's cap. Maybe there are moves still coming. Maybe GMBM pulls a Chychrun or Miller trade out of his hat. But I'm skeptical that they are, and so are plenty of other posters around here. What they've done (which also includes hanging onto the coaching staff outside of Arniel) so far fits a pattern of getting a new goalie and then tinkering around the edges a bit. It's a pretty reasonable conclusion to think that it's unlikely more big moves are coming. I would absolutely love to be wrong about that, and I will be right there reacting to any big JT Miller acquisition along with the rest of the posters should it come to pass. But until it actually happens, I can still chose to draw the conclusions that management's current slate of moves suggests.

I've had a busy day at work (turns out slacking all day yesterday to follow hockey news means work piling up today :laugh: ), so I won't go into the hockey analysis now, save to say that there are other teams who haven't let the same roadblocks stand in their way.

Reactions: PlushMinus

LesDiablesRouges

Feb 9, 2019
It hurts, but it makes sense. Unless it's CMM in a package for something special; but I doubt that.
I want to speak J.T. Miller to Washington into existence. He has been my #1 target this summer. He is also capable of playing wing, if need be. CMM+Eller+1st+ another piece they need with 50% retained and an extension in place.....We are immediate contenders yet again. It's a bold move, but, if we want to compete these last few years we need to go all-in. Sell high on CMM's reputation.

Kuzy
Miller
Strome
Dowd

Fantastic down the middle.

RedRocking

Jan 8, 2022
NoCal
So who is getting traded? I really hope this doesn't push McMichael to the wing. Eller gone?
CMM is useless as a winger. Hopefully he’ll make strides this off-season, but he can’t finish right now.

It’s been very scary with everyone pencilling him as our 2C, when the hope was just that he could hold down 3C for an extended time.

So, personally - thank goodness for the Strome signing, because I think we were going to have to play Eller at 2C otherwise.

Don’t get me wrong, I hope CMM improves a lot and makes a great push in camp.

Last edited:

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
I want to speak J.T. Miller to Washington into existence. He has been my #1 target this summer. He is also capable of playing wing, if need be. CMM+Eller+1st+ another piece they need with 50% retained and an extension in place.....We are immediate contenders yet again. It's a bold move, but, if we want to compete these last few years we need to go all-in. Sell high on CMM's reputation.

Kuzy
Miller
Strome
Dowd

Fantastic down the middle.
I get the vibe that Vancouver really isn't going to trade him unless it is overpay. At this point just do not see that happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $260.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Norway vs Denmark
    Norway vs Denmark