GDT: Free Agent Frenzy: 2022-23 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Please keep all FA period discussion here. Once signings or trades are made you can take the in-depth conversation to the appropriate thread (Around the NHL, Caps Roster Discussion, or player-specific threads) but we have a ton of posts in the wrong threads right now so I'd like to keep everything centralized as we kick things off tomorrow.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010

I don't think they're looking to move Fehervary out of the top 4 but this would be a great target if they were.

Evolving Hockey projects him at 3 x $3 million or 4 x $3.6 million. He'd be a great Kempny replacement to play alongside Carlson. Excellent defensive impact who has excelled along players like Barrie and Petry. One would think that level of play would translate to playing alongside Carlson.

1657638087369.png

Marshall

A ribbon reflector
Mar 13, 2002
Crystal Koons' cold, dead eyes.
twitter.com
I am preparing my body for Keumpfel* at 5 x $6. Better than what they have (which, after trade and NoQO is nothing. Ish.) but I think I might prefer trading for Gibson if ANA retains. That involves a third party, which is the trick.

I still like the idea of Andrew Copp for 2C. And Stastny, he's a guy I wanted the Caps to sign last offseason if they traded Kuznetsov.

* Yes, I know. I refuse to spell that guy's name right, for some reason.

Jun 15, 2007
I am preparing my body for Keumpfel* at 5 x $6. Better than what they have (which, after trade and NoQO is nothing. Ish.) but I think I might prefer trading for Gibson if ANA retains. That involves a third party, which is the trick.

I still like the idea of Andrew Copp for 2C. And Stastny, he's a guy I wanted the Caps to sign last offseason if they traded Kuznetsov.

* Yes, I know. I refuse to spell that guy's name right, for some reason.
5x6m is very optimistic.

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
It’s gonna be 6x$6.5 for Kuemper, little rich but do what you gotta do. I’ve been on the Kulak train for months so you don’t gotta convince me. You could play him with Carlson or bottom pair with TVR.

I’m intrigued by the Eric Comrie option but I think a lot of teams are looking for a cheap back up. He should have some options

Reactions: Neil Racki

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Is there a free agent frenzy -show this summer?

Should be an exciting one. This UFA group is insanely good.

JohnCarlsaurus

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Jan 29, 2009
FL
I have a feeling they're considering Zadorov. Big (possibly cheap?) LHD and they might want to add a physical player with Wilson out for awhile

Reactions: DWGie26

JohnCarlsaurus

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Jan 29, 2009
FL
He's looking for a good size contract, not sure he fits without using backstroms cap.
Fair, I assumed he wouldn't be that expensive based on his play/numbers but I did a quick Google search and he made way more $$ last season than I realized. So if he's looking for something similar that's a no go

The Instigator

Tom Wilson - NHL All Star
Feb 6, 2010
Fair, I assumed he wouldn't be that expensive based on his play/numbers but I did a quick Google search and he made way more $$ last season than I realized. So if he's looking for something similar that's a no go
I believe the last report I heard is that he was looking in the neighborhood of a 4 x $4.5.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I have a feeling they're considering Zadorov. Big (possibly cheap?) LHD and they might want to add a physical player with Wilson out for awhile
Brendan Smith is likely more in their price range. That would be funny. Just so long as it isn't Deslauriers. That one's going to be a poison pill.

I like Stastny & Rodrigues as far as value plays go. Maybe Jarnkrok or Lazar to a lesser extent.

Reactions: JohnCarlsaurus

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
It’s gonna be 6x$6.5 for Kuemper, little rich but do what you gotta do. I’ve been on the Kulak train for months so you don’t gotta convince me. You could play him with Carlson or bottom pair with TVR.

I’m intrigued by the Eric Comrie option but I think a lot of teams are looking for a cheap back up. He should have some options

Gmbm has typically tried to time his big contracts for core players to expire at about the same time. Ovie and Carlson have 4 more years and NB, Oshie, and Kuzy have 3 more.

I'll be surprised if the contract is longer than 4 years. For that reason the AAV might be higher than people prefer.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Gmbm has typically tried to time his big contracts for core players to expire at about the same time. Ovie and Carlson have 4 more years and NB, Oshie, and Kuzy have 3 more.

I'll be surprised if the contract is longer than 4 years. For that reason the AAV might be higher than people prefer.
There’s a reckoning in 4 years….but will they let a few extra years of a guy they can just buy out/trade (or just keep) during their rebuild years derail today’s desired move?

I think longer term, lower cap hit is the route they would prefer to go so they can be more agressive in other moves/signings NOW.

Last edited:

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
Washington listed as the 6th beat cap situation entering free agency...

6. Washington Capitals
2022-23 salaries: $73,521,666
RFAs estimate: None
Dead money deals: None
Notable unsigned UFAs: Justin Schultz, Marcus Johansson, Johan Larsson
Problem contract: John Carlson
Projected cap space: $8.4 — $26 million, depending on LTIR decisions.

The Capitals, if they wish, could give themselves a significantly large chunk of space by putting Nicklas Backstrom ($9.2 million AAV) on LTIR to start the season — at minimum. Backstrom had hip resurfacing surgery (it’s as serious as it sounds) and plans to play again, but that’s far from a given. Tom Wilson ($5.166 cap hit) is going to be out until December after surgery on a torn ACL. It’s unclear whether Carl Hagelin ($2.75 million) will be able to return from a left eye injury. As Tarik El-Bashir wrote, that’d leave the Caps with 17 healthy skaters, no goaltenders and about $25 million in cap space. If that’s the route they take, they’d have to be considered players for Nazem Kadri and J.T. Miller. How many more bites at the apple with Alex Ovechkin are they going to get?

The issue is whether the rest of the roster is good enough to make big-ticket additions like that worth it. Backstrom, for what it’s worth, seems like the best LTIR candidate at this point, which would give Washington the ability to exceed the cap by about $16 million. There are just too many possibilities to settle on one number.

The less theoretical question for the Caps is what to do with their starting goaltender spot. Ilya Samsonov lost it last season, and Vitek Vanecek self-destructed in the playoffs. Vanecek is a Devil now, and Samsonov was not tendered a qualifying offer. Washington seems like a landing spot for UFA goalie Darcy Kuemper.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad