GDT: Free Agent Frenzy: 2022-23 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

max21

NBA Yungboy
Apr 17, 2019
Virginia
I thought a 4th straight first round exit would be enough to make a pretty substantial move for a few more pushes with Ovechkin. We didn’t really get worse but I don’t think we got much better. Brown essentially replaces Wilson and I’m not so sure he will provide what Wilson does for us. Yes we upgraded in net which we all knew was going to happen but Samsonov wasn’t the sole reason we lost against Florida. I have a feeling they’re betting a lot on CMM and nothing against him I think he will be a fine player but I don’t want to risk that while we have the best player we will ever have getting older yet still producing at a high level

Reactions: Hivemind

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Fwiw, there is still
Kadri
Nino Niederreiter
Phil Kessel
Tyler Motte
Evan Rodriguez
Danton Hienen
Dylan Strome
Paul Statsny
Sonny Milano
Zach Aston-Reese
Mattias Janmark
Tyler Ennis
Ryan Donato
Daniel Sprong
Rem Pitlick

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
I thought a 4th straight first round exit would be enough to make a pretty substantial move for a few more pushes with Ovechkin. We didn’t really get worse but I don’t think we got much better. Brown essentially replaces Wilson and I’m not so sure he will provide what Wilson does for us. Yes we upgraded in net which we all knew was going to happen but Samsonov wasn’t the sole reason we lost against Florida. I have a feeling they’re betting a lot on CMM and nothing against him I think he will be a fine player but I don’t want to risk that while we have the best player we will ever have getting older yet still producing at a high level
One of the big wild cards this season, in my view, is OV. If he was serious about getting in shape this summer, changing his workout regimen, and (hopefully) improving other aspects of his game, then we are a dangerous team again.

SecretaryofDefense5

Mar 20, 2022
Washington DC
One of the big wild cards this season, in my view, is OV. If he was serious about getting in shape this summer, changing his workout regimen, and (hopefully) improving other aspects of his game, then we are a dangerous team again.
I’m sorry, what? The man literally dragged this team into the playoffs. The dude will be 37 come September. The problem isn’t Ovi. He put up 50 goals for Christ sake. The problem is that management is doing very little to take the offensive burden off of him. He can’t do it all at 37 for the regular season AND playoffs. They had to play the crap out of him last season and it showed in the playoffs. Not his fault though. The worse part is that they are going to do it all again and expect a different result.

Reactions: Alexander the Gr8

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
I’m sorry, what? The man literally dragged this team into the playoffs. The dude will be 37 come September. The problem isn’t Ovi. He put up 50 goals for Christ sake. The problem is that management is doing very little to take the offensive burden off of him. He can’t do it all at 37 for the regular season AND playoffs. They had to play the crap out of him last season and it showed in the playoffs. Not his fault though. The worse part is that they are going to do it all again and expect a different result.
He was more or less a one trick pony, albeit very good at that trick. His puck possession game was pretty bad and he was slow. It’s not all attributable to his age, he’s carrying a lot of extra weight. He pretty much acknowledged it himself. You don’t think a faster, spryer OV makes us more dangerous? Or an OV who is better at shielding the puck doesn’t help his linemates?

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
He was more or less a one trick pony, albeit very good at that trick. His puck possession game was pretty bad and he was slow. It’s not all attributable to his age, he’s carrying a lot of extra weight. He pretty much acknowledged it himself. You don’t think a faster, spryer OV makes us more dangerous? Or an OV who is better at shielding the puck doesn’t help his linemates?
His one trick is the hardest thing in the game to do. Ovi is not on my list of concerns. He’s 37, a regression is expected regardless of how hard he trains.

Reactions: SecretaryofDefense5

Portable Mink

Sep 12, 2005
Melbourne, Australia
I want Dylan Strome a lot. His possession numbers relative to his team were strong.
Hes 23 and a big guy with 275ish games.
These biggish guys can take 400 games to get going.
The selling point is there with a gap on our 2nd line C position.
Hes not going to cost an arm/leg and the upside potential is very high.
He will probably be happy with a 1-2 year contract if he feels he can promote himself.
Hes already an established NHLer and young to help transition us whilst still trying to win now.
Its low risk and doable.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Remind me….you want what forward changes to help Ovy? Are you wanting them to add Kadri and spend the Backstrom money? Trade all the juicy youth for JT flakey Miller?

Also,…They shored up (hopefully) the most important position on the team. And sorry…..FFFFFFF Avs fans who just won it all and have the typical “he’s not ours, he wasn’t good anyway” attitude now.

If they had 3 years of Sammy, they would appreciate the addition because they wouldn’t have just won a Cup If the keepers were flipped.

LesDiablesRouges

Feb 9, 2019
Personally, I don't give a f*** about anything other than getting Ovi to 895. We finally won our Cup, we saw some great years of hockey, and we were able to watch some great talents come and go over the years. A lifetime worth of memories, as far as I am concerned. Any other Cup run is just an added bonus, IMO, but, with one Cup already in the bag, Getting Ovi to 895 is much more important, at least to me.

We very well could see the Caps grab another Cup in our lifetime, but, almost no chance we see anyone break the scoring record.

Reactions: Calicaps

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
I want Dylan Strome a lot. His possession numbers relative to his team were strong.
He will probably be happy with a 1-2 year contract if he feels he can promote himself.
Hes already an established NHLer and young to help transition us whilst still trying to win now.
Its low risk and doable.
If he can fill Eller's role as a shut down 3c with still some potential would be a good signing. Just didn't watch many chicago games last season. And I trust my eyes more than the stat troll lords here.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Its low risk and doable.
I’m on board also….intriguing guy. I’d bet he has many options.

Reactions: Ridley Simon

Empty Goal Net

I don't smell disgusting, musky, and rancid
Feb 13, 2010
If they didn't get older they certainly did not get younger.
Agree that up to this point, there's no major youth movement here. Still time for a few additions & subtractions. I am concerned that youth won't get the experience they need with the team resigning so many vets.

Keep in mind that while they did reach 100 points, they did not have holes in the lineup that they have now. Backstrom was out for less amount of time.
One could argue that they are a better team w/o the nearly lame Nick Backstrom who played 47 games. The Caps got an average of 1.11 standing points per game with Nick in the lineup; 1.37 points per game when he was out. I don't think there's necessarily a direct correlation, but it's certainly something the hockey minds have a deeper insight about.

Plus all of the teams that were behind them are getting better.

btw im always chillin.
Yeah, the Metro is gonna be much tougher.

Stay tuned, I hope BMac has more than a dumpster-dive up his sleeve.

LesDiablesRouges

Feb 9, 2019
If he can fill Eller's role as a shut down 3c with still some potential would be a good signing. Just didn't watch many chicago games last season. And I trust my eyes more than the stat troll lords here.
I am really getting tired of this analytical and statistical models or die mindset. Any GM could read some of the opinions on these boards about relying on solely models and they would laugh. These models are a great supplement and help create balanced and informed decisions on players, but, they do not account for: the eye test, intangibles, physical traits, leadership, morale, chemistry, future development, etc. Hockey was a well-scouted sport way before fancy stats became relevant.

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
His one trick is the hardest thing in the game to do. Ovi is not on my list of concerns. He’s 37, a regression is expected regardless of how hard he trains.
Well his fumbling pucks left and right certainly prevented him from scoring even more goals and didn’t help his linemates to score goals. The first line overall has been one of the lesser first lines the last couple of years. I suppose we could say Kuzy and Wilson suck, and I’m not absolving them of all responsibility. But OV contributes. I’m not so sure a better play driver doesn’t help those two.

I never said OV was the problem, I said he would make the team more dangerous if his game expands. If you’re ok with him carrying unnecessary pounds and being unable to hold a puck as long as he gets his 40+ goals, great. I personally felt excited when he said he’d change his off-season regimen because I see more potential for the team and him.

LesDiablesRouges

Feb 9, 2019
Ovi just carried us to the playoffs with 50 goals and over a PPG+ at age 36. As far as I am concerned, he can do whatever the f*** he wants during the beginning of the off-season and summer. Hockey players and athletes are humans after all and they deserve downtime to rest, relax, and enjoy life.

It's just on Ovi to get into shape before the season starts, which probably includes dropping 20ish pounds, but, he does that every summer as he gears into game shape and hones his skills.

Reactions: YippieKaey

Portable Mink

Sep 12, 2005
Melbourne, Australia
In the two seasons Strome averaged over 12.7 TOI hes had 99 points in 127 games At 0.78 ppg.
Over 52% faceoffs last season.

23, decent size and a very high pick. Played for 2 organizations with no real playoff chances.

its a no brainer.

SecretaryofDefense5

Mar 20, 2022
Washington DC
Remind me….you want what forward changes to help Ovy? Are you wanting them to add Kadri and spend the Backstrom money? Trade all the juicy youth for JT flakey Miller?

Also,…They shored up (hopefully) the most important position on the team. And sorry…..FFFFFFF Avs fans who just won it all and have the typical “he’s not ours, he wasn’t good anyway” attitude now.

If they had 3 years of Sammy, they would appreciate the addition because they wouldn’t have just won a Cup If the keepers were flipped.
Yes, they should use Backstrom’s money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad