GDT: Free Agent Frenzy: 2022-23 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

LesDiablesRouges

Feb 9, 2019
Strome can be a lazy player and passenger at times, despite his high-end talent, so, I think he would best be paired with two skilled hard workers that can help carry the defensive load of the line. Brown/Oshie/Willy-(when back)-types of players come to mind.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Strome's salary is $3.5M and Eller's salary is $3.5M... just saying

(Thanks for the cup winning goal Lars, if I ever end up at the same bar as you, drinks are on me)
I was in the same bar with him after they won the Cup (Cafe Milano). Not sure if I drank directly with him but my bar tab would suggest if I didn’t buy him a drink I bought everyone else one. Checked my credit card bill a few days later and went, “Ohhhhhh shiiiiit.” So worth it though, got to hold the Cup with Osh, smoked a cigarette hammered drunk with Grubby (he wasn’t smoking and I have no idea where I got the cigarette since I don’t smoke but he was a cool dude to talk to so I just went with it), talked shit about Pittsburgh with Joe B, and generally had one of the best nights ever.

All that is to say, drinks are on me, Lars.

Monsterrain

Mar 4, 2013
Maryland
I was in the same bar with him after they won the Cup (Cafe Milano). Not sure if I drank directly with him but my bar tab would suggest if I didn’t buy him a drink I bought everyone else one. Checked my credit card bill a few days later and went, “Ohhhhhh shiiiiit.” So worth it though, got to hold the Cup with Osh, smoked a cigarette hammered drunk with Grubby (he wasn’t smoking and I have no idea where I got the cigarette since I don’t smoke but he was a cool dude to talk to so I just went with it), talked shit about Pittsburgh with Joe B, and generally had one of the best nights ever.

All that is to say, drinks are on me, Lars.
Thats sounds like a good time

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
CMM to Hershey? lol Not buying it after BMac and Lavi both said he was going to be a full time player this year. They made similar comments about Fehervary the off-season before and he was in the lineup every night last year.

i wasant trying to mean that part lol i wanted to show the 5.6 mil

LesDiablesRouges

Feb 9, 2019
CMM is not going to spend another year in Hershey, especially after a full season with the big club last year, when he probably could have been better suited for a larger role and more minutes in the minors last year.

It's either an everyday, top-nine role or he is in a package for a stud.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
i wasant trying to mean that part lol i wanted to show the 5.6 mil
Got it. lol

That's not including Haglin on LTIR either. With AJF as 13th and Irwin as 7th we're more like 3.5 over...Ellers hit. Which we can hold onto because we'll LTIR both Wilson and Backstrom. We could theoretically hang onto him or other players of equal value until the deadline and trade people for assets. That or if Backstrom isn't coming back until the playoffs or at all then being over the cap up to 9 million doesn't even matter.

caps4cup

Dynasty
Dec 31, 2010
Really interesting to see what happens if Eller doesn’t get shipped out. They said they wanted CMM playing a bigger role and center but would they play him at center over Eller? And I don’t think Strome would have signed on to play wing. And they signed Johansson who can fill in as center in a pinch. It seems like writing is on the wall for Eller but as of now I guess it looks like:

Ovechkin-Kuznetsov-Brown
Mantha-Strome-Oshie
McMichael-Eller-Johansson
Sheary-Dowd-Hathaway

With:

Ovechkin-Kuznetsov-Brown
Mantha-Strome-Wilson
McMichael-Eller-Oshie
Sheary-Dowd-Hathaway
Johansson
AJF

With Wilson back.

I just don’t see how Eller isn’t traded at this point. Maybe CMM goes with him for Miller or a big upgrade, but right now they have way too many forwards. No way Johansson signed on to be an extra at 1.1mil, and with them saying CMM is going to play a bigger role (and center) you have to think that he’s either in the lineup or traded.

Ovechkin-Kuznetsov-Brown
Mantha-Strome-Wilson
Johansson-McMichael-Oshie
Sheary-Dowd-Hathaway
AJF

If Eller is gone, this would be my best guess when Wilson comes back, with Sheary/Mojo sliding up to L2 with Wilson out, and AJF at 4LW.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
If Eller is still on the team come training camp ready to show better than last year. If McM continues his dev. improvement and another good summer of training Eller's rope could be short. Kuz/Strome/McM/Dowd is nice. hard to image Eller pushing Dowd out as the 4c even if somehow they can afford it.

McM is a center pretty clear he is way better in that position. Don't want to see any more of him on the wing BS.

Todos a la Calle

Mar 30, 2015
Mexico City
so if we're gonna bank all of Nick's LTIR space and we've already brought back Mojo, why stop there? We should sign Sprong and Connolly, both of whom are available. Maybe Djoos wants to come back to North America? Guess we missed out on Burakovsky though.
;)

max21

NBA Yungboy
Apr 17, 2019
Virginia
He’ll be playing for a larger contract also, I like the move. I know twabby had his eyes on this guy lol

HeyMattyB

Sports bring out the worst in everyone.
Aug 20, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
CHI fans ragging on Strome pretty hard. That's to be expected, but yeah. I guess we'll see if he's as slow/plodding a skater and as lazy defensively as they say.

caps4cup

Dynasty
Dec 31, 2010
I am extremely interested to see what they do. Even without Wilson/Backstrom, they have too many forwards. It seems like the writing is on the wall for Eller, but it’s hard to see them getting rid of Eller and rolling with Kuzy/Strome/CMM/Dowd, just due to the fact that Dowd is the only regular PK guy among that group. But it’s also hard to see how they can hold onto Eller with their current group and slot everyone else properly.

Honestly, a trade around Eller + CMM for Miller would make a lot of sense. Miller can PK, would be a big upgrade for the Caps, and I’m not sure Vancouver gets a better young player back than CMM in a return for Miller.

That would obviously help for this season, but I’m not sure how I feel about dealing CMM. Either way, it feels like another move has to be coming. And it almost has to be a center on the move.

Ovechkin-Kuznetsov-Brown
Mantha-Miller-Wilson
Sheary/Johansson-Strome-Oshie
Sheary/AJF-Dowd-Hathaway

Would be pretty sick..

ClevelandCapsfan

May 24, 2021
so if we're gonna bank all of Nick's LTIR space and we've already brought back Mojo, why stop there? We should sign Sprong and Connolly, both of whom are available. Maybe Djoos wants to come back to North America? Guess we missed out on Burakovsky though.
;)
Wasn’t Burakovsky sent packing for draft picks due to cap issues 4? years ago?

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
He was more or less a one trick pony, albeit very good at that trick. His puck possession game was pretty bad and he was slow. It’s not all attributable to his age, he’s carrying a lot of extra weight. He pretty much acknowledged it himself. You don’t think a faster, spryer OV makes us more dangerous? Or an OV who is better at shielding the puck doesn’t help his linemates?

That was only true in the 2nd half of the season. He ran out of steam around the time the team started struggling. First half of the season, he was everywhere, led the league in goals, points and was the frontrunner for the Hart trophy.

Ovi is 230-240 simply because he's a big boy. If he loses 20-30 lbs, he's not Ovi anymore and his game would suffer in other aspects (physicality, durability, shot power etc.).

ClevelandCapsfan

May 24, 2021
I am extremely interested to see what they do. Even without Wilson/Backstrom, they have too many forwards. It seems like the writing is on the wall for Eller, but it’s hard to see them getting rid of Eller and rolling with Kuzy/Strome/CMM/Dowd, just due to the fact that Dowd is the only regular PK guy among that group. But it’s also hard to see how they can hold onto Eller with their current group and slot everyone else properly.

Honestly, a trade around Eller + CMM for Miller would make a lot of sense. Miller can PK, would be a big upgrade for the Caps, and I’m not sure Vancouver gets a better young player back than CMM in a return for Miller.

That would obviously help for this season, but I’m not sure how I feel about dealing CMM. Either way, it feels like another move has to be coming. And it almost has to be a center on the move.

Ovechkin-Kuznetsov-Brown
Mantha-Miller-Wilson
Sheary/Johansson-Strome-Oshie
Sheary/AJF-Dowd-Hathaway

Would be pretty sick..
Why would Vancouver have any interest in Eller as part of the return for Miller?

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I don't even recognize the name. Though admittedly I don't pay too much attention to loser teams.
Year 2, 35 goals….

He's the best D on our team, he'd get that in the open market easy. Sergachev is a 30-40 point two way guy on PP2 and he just got 8.5.
Massive age difference and upside. You’re comparing a young Tier one D to a guy who will be 32 on his next deal and hasn’t been a number 1. Nobody is paying Orlov 8-9 per at 32.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jags
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad