Not open for further replies.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
I think there's a pretty clear delineation between VGK under GMGM and Vegas under Kelly McCrimmon. GMGM made a bunch of crafty moves with foresight that were hated on at the time during their first season, but built them into an instant contender and helped jump start their prospect system (or at least as much as could be done with a single prospect draft). GMBM also brings Dave Prior with him, who revitalizes MAF's career. Then McCrimmon takes over around the end of their 2nd season, and the constant churn begins and he tries to get them over the hump. Most of their most puzzling trades have happened under McCrimmon, and McCrimmon fires Gallant, demotes and then lets Prior go, burns bridges with MAF (concurrent with the Prior firing), brings in DeBoer, and let's DeBoer ruin the relationship with their new starting goalie (Lehner).

Also let this serve as a periodic reminder that the Capitals should fire Scott Murray and hire Dave Prior.
It would be nice if Murray was fired and Prior was hired. Prior turned Kolzig into a longtime Caps #1 goalie.

Reactions: JohnCarlsaurus

Portable Mink

Sep 12, 2005
Melbourne, Australia
I get the feeling Fever is going to develop into one of those really good defenders that will always be affordable and youd be silly to lose. Think Brodin and his delicious 6m salary.

I understand the desire to get rid of Eller but he has been very useful in Backstroms absence a number of times.

Vancouver need to find 2.7m relief and its close to the difference between Ellers salary and Millers. But then we are well over.

If the team can come up with clear strategies for dealing with a potential backstrom return and what to do with the list - its a possible move but im not seeing it atm.

Reactions: Calicaps

alphabetical

May 8, 2013
You can't just cut guys you've signed to contracts and not face cap repercussions...these guys aren't trying out on PTOs.
Any contract under league minimum + 375k (1.125M$) has no cap penalty if the player's waved. A lot of the caps' ancillary players are free to be sent down, including the MoJo contract

Reactions: DWGie26

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
I'm a Yotes fan. This one intrigues me. What kind of a pick are we talking about, added to McMichael and Fehérváry?

Those two guys hold a lot of value for us, so unlikely a high pick. And we already have traded away 3rd 23 and 2nd 24, so not sure..

23 1st is a keeper, likely 2nd aswell.
And already down a top60 pick in 24, i dobt see us throwing a 1st out yet.

Though Chychrun @ 4,6 should be highly intriguing for Caps aswell..

Seems like we are going to build through FA for the reminder of Ovie-era, and slowly stack up the roster pool with long shot high potential guys. I like it. 22 draft was propably the first one aiming for ”after Ovie”. Any older draftees might very well be in play.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Love the DS pickup, getting excited to drop the puck.

I don’t understand the Ovie vs Cup fight. The best way to get Ovie the record is to have a competitive team around him. If we win another cup it’s probably because he is still scoring goals. And this is coming from somebody that was saying it’s time for the rebuild. GMBM got lucky the LTIR is allowing him to retool immediately, but give him credit for taking advantage of it.
was it a fight? I guess a couple folks got a little hot but I think it's kind of an interesting question: which do you want more? but in the end you're right. a strong team serves both goals best.

PlushMinus

Nov 18, 2021
Really interesting few days of signings. So what do others think about the Metro for the upcoming season?
Teams that got better / worse / no change?

Carolina - I think they ended up about the same. Which means they will be good enough to challenge for Metro title
Columbus - definitely got better and I think they could be challenging for 4th / wildcard spot
New Jersey - got better but I think their defence and goaltending will continue to be suspect
NY Islanders - wow they did nothing (as of me writing this). I don't think they're a playoff team
NY Rangers - stayed the same. Which means they should make playoffs
Philadelphia - lost Giroux and gained DeAngelo. I don't think that makes them better lol. Could finish last in Metro
Pittsburgh - was surprised to see they've done almost nothing. Basically same roster one year older so I think they'll be looking at 4th / wildcard spot
Caps - have definitely gotten better. If Lavi can find some chemistry with the forward group I think we could challenge for 2nd / 3rd in Metro (but that needs everything to go to plan)

I don't think the Metro is finished with signings. I could see Jersey or the Isles landing a big name, and it definitely feels like the Rangers have a big signing to come (Kadri? Miller?).

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
was it a fight? I guess a couple folks got a little hot but I think it's kind of an interesting question: which do you want more? but in the end you're right. a strong team serves both goals best.
might not be a fight but it's become a false dichotomy

every move somebody doesn't like is suddenly "I knew it, the organization is totally packing it in and just pushing for 895" and it doesn't really matter if that makes no real sense. unless we're talking about a team that is just... giving up on a guy who is still plenty dangerous to become an ideal "cup team" there's practically no version of a roster move that we've seen that would be antithetical to either goal.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Trocheck already signed for 7 years to Metro. Can we have Kadri and Klingberg sign 7-year deal to Metro (other than us) now, please? Maybe even long-term deal to Niederreiter too?

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Have you been a hater?!

Some have been critical the last couple of years begging for his canning after every move - that's different than being honest about everything.

And, I would never use the ignore list!

You are one of the most well thought out posters on here, too.
The dude you are talking too uses the ignore list like my 2yr old treats a diaper. Constant use and constant change. He reaps what he sows.

Reactions: g00n
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad