GDT: Free Agent Frenzy: 2022-23 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

caps4cup

Dynasty
Dec 31, 2010
Why would Vancouver have any interest in Eller as part of the return for Miller?
Because he’s still a good 3rd line center and would currently slot in as their 3C quite easily? Their current 3C had 11 points in 62 games last year. Eller had 31 in 72.

Not saying they would definitely want him, but the Caps would need to get rid of him for cap purposes, and he is a legitimate upgrade for the Canucks roster.

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Realize was never going to happen but wanted them to get Miller even over Kadri. I'm still in let's try to win one more time before ovis done. They are going to rebuild for 3 to 15 years.

max21

NBA Yungboy
Apr 17, 2019
Virginia
I just hope Miller doesn’t sign in Pittsburgh like Penguins fans have convinced themselves that he is

ArmadilloThumb

Apr 20, 2018
Very pleased with the Strome signing. The flexibility beyond next season is increased with the Caps having Strome as a RFA (even with the arbitration eligibility).

And that flexibility also has the potential to include Ivan the Centre if he is healthy and progressing, along with Hendrix. Things will be clearer after this coming season.

So let's always hold Eller high in our memories and move him out so CCM has his shot at 2C or 3C. Eller + Hags + Carlson for Cychuryn would be my highest wish as next move...

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
With only 2nd round pick GMBM managed to get Strome, Brown, 2 goatlenders and 3LD which wont prevent youngster to fight for the same spot. Sign me up!

And they drafted 2 really good kids too?

This is very good sequence of events.

Imagine Eller is gone (defense will suffer most probably, but there are still Protas/Mojo to supplant CMM as 3C perhaps). Only old players on the roster will be Oshie and Ovi.

Id say an amount of suspect players is down now (Backstrom, Hagelin, Schultz, VV&IS, potentially Eller).

If Kuemper is good enough after hangover this is a 100+ points team with 40+ goals for Ovi probably. Certainly playoff bound.

Also there is still flexibility for next year. And all of our prospects (namely Lapierre and AA) are kept.

That's beyond solid (although we will expect DK's downfall now ofc).

PS; Maturing and very mobile Fever will be an even better partner for Carlson with each passing year too. That's a solid D lineup which can be upgraded at deadline as usual. Im excited.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
Love the DS pickup, getting excited to drop the puck.

I don’t understand the Ovie vs Cup fight. The best way to get Ovie the record is to have a competitive team around him. If we win another cup it’s probably because he is still scoring goals. And this is coming from somebody that was saying it’s time for the rebuild. GMBM got lucky the LTIR is allowing him to retool immediately, but give him credit for taking advantage of it.

Reactions: Calicaps

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Love the DS pickup, getting excited to drop the puck.

I don’t understand the Ovie vs Cup fight. The best way to get Ovie the record is to have a competitive team around him. If we win another cup it’s probably because he is still scoring goals. And this is coming from somebody that was saying it’s time for the rebuild. GMBM got lucky the LTIR is allowing him to retool immediately, but give him credit for taking advantage of it.

It's cynical nonsense from nonsensical cynics.

Safe to ignore.

Jags

Mildly Disturbed
May 5, 2016
Central Florida
Re-parsing your post a bit here, it seems there's two things you're upset about.

I'm not upset about anything. I'm having a grand old time. This part of the offseason is one of my favorite times of year. My whole point was that YOU'RE upset about some stuff, and a lot of it was premature. So no, I wasn't upset about anything last night because we still needed a center and I was pretty sure we'd get at least one good one. Didn't take long.

We can't go back in time and sign a player that another team signed, or trade for a player that another team traded for.

That kind of thinking is just plain silly. There's 32 teams in the league. You can't look at every deal, decide that we had similar assets to give, and just assume that it could have been ours if our GM wasn't a nitwit. GMs have relationships with each other, and no one really knows what the hell "future considerations" means. Could be handjobs. Who knows? If Vegas literally gave Patch away, trust that there was no shortage of takers and they could only pick one. We trounced Vegas for a Cup, and their POHO has every reason to hate us. You really think we could have gotten the inside track on that one?

We can't get value for the former 1st round pick that they let walk anymore.

Pffft. You gotta let that one go. There was zero chance anyone was trading for Samsonov after the deadline. And the Montreal rumor in February? Montreal wasn't competitive, so they weren't desperate. If there even was an offer, it was likely a bullshit pick, prospect, or whatever. No big loss. We needed a backup for the stretch.

The "Losing Samsonov was poor asset management" argument is nonsense unless you mean it like, "Washington really did a great job managing that poor asset." That I would agree with.

Secondly, and perhaps even more pertinently, when am I supposed to express my opinions?

When the thing you're bitching about is actually real. You were bitching about multiple things that hadn't happened yet, one being that we didn't get a center. Then we got a really good one that a lot of teams wanted, less than 30 hours into free agency. You went from "THIS worthless fothermucker right here is a terrible GM!" to "f*** Yeah!!!" in no time flat. Precognitive bitching gums up the works when it turns out to be bullshit. Literally much ado about nothing.

And Thirdly, I'm making an educated guess.

Are you though? An educated guess about our center situation last night would have taken what we know into account...

1) We desperately needed a center.​
2) Our GM always addresses the holes in our lineup. Might not like how, but he always does it.​
3) He addressed other glaring needs, further underscoring his intent to shore everything up.​
4) We ended the day overstocked at wing, light at center, and over the cap. So there was definitely more work to do.​
You may have made some educated guesses about other things. I can't think of any right now. But other things you were saying were just plain jumping to conclusions. And you were throwing elbows in the process, criticizing other people for having literally just a little bit of patience. Educated patience.

Maybe there are moves still coming.

No. There are definitely more moves coming. We're 6.5m over the cap. So again, since you definitely know that more moves are definitely coming, why not wait until the team is at least cap compliant? That'll be the first moment you can even suggest that we have a team that might be set in stone. Until then, anything can happen.

It's not like GMBM doesn't have a history of making big moves. And Kuemper, Brown, and Strome are in no way emblematic of "tinkering around the edges a bit." That's 3 damn good players coming in with nothing but trash going out. A big net positive. Acting like it's nothing because you didn't get the marquee guy you wanted would be an odd position to take.

zappa4ever

Music is the Best!
Feb 10, 2010
MD/VA/WV intersection
Kuemper/Lindgren
Dylan Strome
Connor Brown
Erik Gustaffson

Don't know how any Caps fan can not be happy with how UFA has gone so far, especially with cost and term, now with the Strome deal we have a lot to look forward to this coming season

All the major issues have been addressed,
last thing(s) to figure is to LTIR everybody and keep 'em all
or package up a cpl forwards

Jags

Mildly Disturbed
May 5, 2016
Central Florida
Have you been a hater?!

Some have been critical the last couple of years begging for his canning after every move - that's different than being honest about everything.

And, I would never use the ignore list!

You are one of the most well thought out posters on here, too.

This gets a like. I totally agree. We certainly disagree sometimes, but I'm in lockstep with Hive on a lot of other issues, including some of the criticism and naysaying. I'm not one to use the ignore list either, but even if I was it wouldn't be to silence the people that disagree with me. Those are the only conversations I can learn from. I need that, cuz I damn sure don't know everything and guys like Hive and twabby force me to look at things from other perspectives. And they're right with a frequency that many posters here prolly don't like to admit. ;)

alphabetical

May 8, 2013
So we're 4.3M over the cap with Snively and AJF in the lineup and Irwin as 7D... I'd say an Eller move is coming for draft pick(s). Feels like he's the odd man out unless we're planning to use McMichael in a trade for a non center.

View attachment 569393
Once Backstrom moves to long term IR, we aren't over the cap. The players to start the season add up to about 72M

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
Sadly missed the whole day on the boards and just ripped through it all. I can definietly say F yeah. Many of us said be patient while others trashed GMBM. I was confident GMBM had a plan and he has executed very well. Both draft and FA!

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
Way too many forwards. If there is a hockey trade (and I think there will be), I think it could very well be Mantha. Yes, Eller should be the first to go. But I think we move 2 forwards out for a dee.

How about Mantha and Fever out for Chychrun. I'd do that. And then Eller out for draft pick next year. I think he could command a 3rd or 4th next year. He is a good 3C that with only one year left. That will be appealing.

Jags

Mildly Disturbed
May 5, 2016
Central Florida
CMM to Hershey? lol Not buying it after BMac and Lavi both said he was going to be a full time player this year. They made similar comments about Fehervary the off-season before and he was in the lineup every night last year.

That's RMNB analysis. You're forgetting the first rule of being a modern Caps fan. Here's a quick cut and paste as a reminder...

[RULE #1]: It's okay to love RMNB for the fun stuff and general info, but as soon as they start interpreting that info with insights of their own, cover your eyes and step away from the computer. If you are on a mobile device, close the app, call 911, and tell them that something terribad has happened to your brain.
[RULE #2]: Each of us is responsible for pulling twabby away from the fancy stats website when he stops blinking and starts drooling. He got pulled into The Matrix twice last year, and Keanu Reeves got all bitchy about having to bail him out the second time. We need to do better.
...​

The Instigator

Tom Wilson - NHL All Star
Feb 6, 2010
God dammit.

Not a fan of this at all. He reminds me of RNH a little bit in play style, can't stand watching these kinds of tweener centers.
Ehhhh, kind of I suppose.

RNH gets a bad rap but honestly he's a great forward. Puts up decent points, responsible player, really smart and a hard worker. If Strome became that for us I'd be shocked.

Ecstatic, but shocked.

Reactions: Calicaps

Monsterrain

Mar 4, 2013
Maryland
That was only true in the 2nd half of the season. He ran out of steam around the time the team started struggling. First half of the season, he was everywhere, led the league in goals, points and was the frontrunner for the Hart trophy.

Ovi is 230-240 simply because he's a big boy. If he loses 20-30 lbs, he's not Ovi anymore and his game would suffer in other aspects (physicality, durability, shot power etc.).
Ive been saying this for years. Hes got to lose some weight. The game is faster now. He’ll still be big enough to lay hits.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino