GDT: Free Agent Frenzy 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

imjustzach

May 9, 2018
Someone want to explain to me why Rowney deserves almost twice as much as Duclair on a multi year deal? For the record, not sad at all we didn’t get Duclair but would 10x rather have him at that contract than Rowney

Agreed. Schenn and Sustr at least made sense as far as depth at right-side D is concerned. (Sustr contract longer that I would have liked though). But if we're taking flyers on F, at least go for the ones who have shown they can produce to a reasonable level. I don't think Rowney has even cracked double digit points in a season.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
My theory:

Bob saw how Vegas constructed their depth of not-so-good NHLers that can play fast and somewhat creative. I can`t recall a time he has ever signed so many players in one offseason, let alone in a few days.

It might even work in some extent, but when was the last time Randy gave 4th line more than 5 minutes ES time? I hate to talk bad about our signings because if I were a fringe NHL player, it would suck to hear shit before I have even played a game. But something in this whole strategy seems shitty and that`s on our management. If Bob Murray called me and offered a 3 year deal I would sure as f*** say where do I sign

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
My theory:

Bob saw how Vegas constructed their depth of not-so-good NHLers that can play fast and somewhat creative. I can`t recall a time he has ever signed so many players in one offseason, let alone in a few days.

It might even work in some extent, but when was the last time Randy gave 4th line more than 5 minutes ES time? I hate to talk bad about our signings because if I were a fringe NHL player, it would suck to hear **** before I have even played a game. But something in this whole strategy seems ****ty and that`s on our management. If Bob Murray called me and offered a 3 year deal I would sure as **** say where do I sign
Trying to build a team based on how a team played in a once in a generation season? Sounds like it's right down BM's alley.

I suspect several GM's will try and replicate the Vegas model, and all will 100% fail.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Trying to build a team based on how a team played in a once in a generation season? Sounds like it's right down BM's alley.

I suspect several GM's will try and replicate the Vegas model, and all will 100% fail.
That`s just my theory. But we have seen Bob reacting to successfull teams previously. Trying to get fast in one offseason, then tough in another offseason. Then fast again

imjustzach

May 9, 2018
My theory:

It might even work in some extent, but when was the last time Randy gave 4th line more than 5 minutes ES time? I hate to talk bad about our signings because if I were a fringe NHL player, it would suck to hear **** before I have even played a game. But something in this whole strategy seems ****ty and that`s on our management. If Bob Murray called me and offered a 3 year deal I would sure as **** say where do I sign

I would agree but while VGK didn't have true 1st liners (before the season started), they basically had a team consisting of almost entirely 2nd/3rd liners. Most of the signings that have been made so far are almost entirely 4th line quality (at least thus far in their career).

I think GMBM is just trying to fill out the roster with warm bodies until people like Terry, Steel, and Comtois are ready for the NHL. It's not something I'm unhappy with because I don't really see us being serious contenders until those guys are up with the big club. I just wish we had given that money to more proven F or at least ones who have shown more potential instead of these guys with minimal experience/production.

Reactions: Kalv

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
If you want to emulate Vegas, you must first find a GM stupid enough to give you a Shea Theodore type player so that said GM doesn't have to buy out a Kevin Bieksa type player. That's not easy to do.

Reactions: KeepItDeep

imjustzach

May 9, 2018
If you want to emulate Vegas, you must first find a GM stupid enough to give you a Shea Theodore type player so that said GM doesn't have to buy out a Kevin Bieksa type player. That's not easy to do.

Well we didn't lose Rakell the way Florida gave up Marchessault so that's nice. :laugh:

Reactions: Kalv

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Vegas found one of those as well. The "genius" George McPhee...

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Sure you can. It just doesn't make Bob's move any more acceptable or right.
You don't know what's acceptable or right any more than you know the future. I'll reserve my judgement of the summer moves until the summer is actually over and after I've actually seen the additions play.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
You don't know what's acceptable or right any more than you know the future. I'll reserve my judgement of the summer moves until the summer is actually over and after I've actually seen the additions play.
That move was the past. Sami and Theo for Henrique because Bob wouldn't man up and buy out Bieksa. Nothing that happens in the future will change that.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
That move was the past. Sami and Theo for Henrique because Bob wouldn't man up and buy out Bieksa. Nothing that happens in the future will change that.
It's such revisionist history. We buy out bieksa and then what? We still have to trade vatanen or manson. We still have Clayton stoner on the roster. Vatanen was rehabbing from a serious shoulder injury that robbed him of effectiveness the previous season, which, coupled with the market of the time being flooded with teams trying to move guys to avoid the expansion draft did what to his value exactly? Think it was sky high?

So we buy out bieksa, keep stoner, move vatanen for less than we got for him six months later, and have Theo. That's marketedly better to you? Would you be enjoying paying for Kevin this year and the next?

Fact is, we don't know anything. We are dumbass fans that make a million assumptions and judgements without ever being in the room.

Worse, fans of this team seem especially bratty, considering the success of the franchise being uper echelon in the last 15 years. Like top five in the league. My God I would love to see the complaints of a true garbage franchise, no doubt making worse moves than signing a fourth liner who we have never seen play and thus know he sucks to a deal one year longer than it should be at one freaking million a year.

Cry me a river.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
It's such revisionist history. We buy out bieksa and then what? We still have to trade vatanen or manson. We still have Clayton stoner on the roster. Vatanen was rehabbing from a serious shoulder injury that robbed him of effectiveness the previous season, which, coupled with the market of the time being flooded with teams trying to move guys to avoid the expansion draft did what to his value exactly? Think it was sky high?

So we buy out bieksa, keep stoner, move vatanen for less than we got for him six months later, and have Theo. That's marketedly better to you? Would you be enjoying paying for Kevin this year and the next?

Fact is, we don't know anything. We are dumbass fans that make a million assumptions and judgements without ever being in the room.

Worse, fans of this team seem especially bratty, considering the success of the franchise being uper echelon in the last 15 years. Like top five in the league. My God I would love to see the complaints of a true garbage franchise, no doubt making worse moves than signing a fourth liner who we have never seen play and thus know he sucks to a deal one year longer than it should be at one freaking million a year.

Cry me a river.

We paid KB more last year than his buyout spread across 2 years would have cost. And if we replace him with a ELC guy the team budget actually saves money. And if you want to bring up Stoner, then we're back to challenging Bob's decision making again.

As long as I've been here you've never never been critical of the team in any way shape or form. It's your right. But the self righteousness of thinking you are always right gets a little old.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
We paid KB more last year than his buyout spread across 2 years would have cost. And if we replace him with a ELC guy the team budget actually saves money. And if you want to bring up Stoner, then we're back to challenging Bob's decision making again.

As long as I've been here you've never never been critical of the team in any way shape or form. It's your right. But the self righteousness of thinking you are always right gets a little old.
I criticize the team plenty, just not in an over the top manner and in every single thread that I can.

If that's self-righteous, then fine. It's old reading the same cry baby crap in every god god damn post.

Dirk316

Nov 8, 2004
St Petersburg, Fl

Your the poster who won't even give Carlyle credit for winning a cup

Reactions: Masch78

rlstine

Jun 14, 2017
Murray's made plenty of mistakes, just not the degree of mistakes that a lot of other GM's make. I think it's absolutely fair to criticize him but you have to keep in perspective that the team has had 100 point seasons for five years in a row along with four division titles. And they only have 1 potentially problematic contract in Kesler (Perry's is bad but not crippling).

So these recent moves are probably bad, and they could have maybe handled the expansion draft better, but I think Murray deserves a lot of credit and a bit of slack.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
That`s just my theory. But we have seen Bob reacting to successfull teams previously. Trying to get fast in one offseason, then tough in another offseason. Then fast again

The Bob Murray blueprint for success - try and copy the teams who made it to the final in the previous year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad